cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer SIM card to new device

Koombassi1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I am trading in my older iPhone for a newer model and want to use my existing SIM card. Is there a procedure for doing this?

Thank you for getting back to me as you can. 

7 REPLIES 7

Stonechucker1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Koombassi1 wrote:

Apologies not necessary Dunkman. I should have been more specific. So now with your help, and input from Stonechucker, I should be fine with the downloading of an e-sim on my new iPhone when it arrives, in about a week. As I will be doing a backup restore from my older iPhone XR, the new iPhone should have my existing PM app and its contents loaded. 
Fingers crossed. 

iPhone to iPhone transfer of information is pretty solid. If I remember correctly they make software to just move it. Should be really simple. 

GGood luck with your new phone!!

Koombassi1

Apologies not necessary Dunkman. I should have been more specific. So now with your help, and input from Stonechucker, I should be fine with the downloading of an e-sim on my new iPhone when it arrives, in about a week. As I will be doing a backup restore from my older iPhone XR, the new iPhone should have my existing PM app and its contents loaded. 
Fingers crossed. 

@Koombassi1 wrote:

Thank you Stonechucker1. Turns out my new iPhone only supports an e-sim. I believe the PM procedures provide for this situation. When I select payment method, will I be charged for a new card even though I have an existing PM physical SIM card?

@Koombassi1 

Sorry, I initially misread your original post.  If your new phone accepts physical SIM card, all you need to is to put the physical SIM card in the new phone. 

For eSIM on your new phone, you will need to purchase the eSiM for $5 even though you had a physical SIM card.  Afterwards,  if you transfer the eSIM to another phone, you will not need to purchase another eSIM again. 

Koombassi1

Thank you Stonechucker1. Turns out my new iPhone only supports an e-sim. I believe the PM procedures provide for this situation. When I select payment method, will I be charged for a new card even though I have an existing PM physical SIM card?

Stonechucker1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you have a current physical SIM card you can move it into your new device if it has the same size SIM slot. If you have an esim you will need to transfer your esim probably with the assistance of public mobile as provided above. If you need to change the size of your physical card if you still have the extra bits hanging around from when you got that card you can change the size to fit. There is no reason it will not work. Changing the card from one device to another physically just connects.

Koombassi1

Thank you very much Dunkman. Does getting a new device mean I knew a new SIM card? The existing one cannot be put in new device?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Koombassi1 

Via your PM app on your new device, purchase another eSIM.  It should be free if you already paid for the first one.  

Here is some more information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/get-a-sim-card

Need Help? Let's chat.