cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think I screwed up big time. RE Sim card

glimmercat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm a Luddite and know very little about tech.  I have an HTC Desire 510 on its way out so I bought a Google Pixel 4a and a new SIM card for it.  I was told it's "really simple" and that all I have to do is put the new Nano SIM card in the Pixel 4a, change the SIM card number info on my account, and away we go.  This is apparently not the case.  I have changed the SIM card number, got my verification, but now neither phone has service.  My HTC has a little x over the place where the bars usually are, and the Pixel doesn't show any bars at all, so I don't even know where they should be.  How do I get phone service back?  (And have I lost my voicemails and texts??) 

14 REPLIES 14

@glimmercat 

Just plug your pixel in so you have a fully charged battery. Connect it to your WiFi. Settings>> Mobile and Internet>>Wifi>> enter your WiFi password and connect.

After that your pixel phone will prompt you to set it up. It's very easy  I just set up my pixel 3.

In the meantime back up everything on your old phone to your Google account. Pictures, email etc... and delete anything you don't want. Make sure you know your google password if not reset it and write it down as you will be asked it when you set up the new phone. 

Once you are ready you will have to attach the usb-c cord and adapter that comes with your pixel phone to your old phone so your data can transfer over from one phone to the other. Don't worry the old phone will retain the data as well.Update the OS when it prompts you to...you might have to do a couple of times.

This will take you about 45 min depending on how much data gets transferred and how many updates you have to do. When you are all done check out my photo thread in the lounge with my pixel 3 and start thinking about where you can go tomorrow night to test out your nightsight on the camera for the Perseid Meteor Shower.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Phone-Camera-Action/td-p/704544

@glimmercat 

Meanwhile… call it a day.

Rum & Cokes for everyone… I’m buying.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glimmercat : When you're psyched up and ready to face your internet connection...we'll be here. 🙂

glimmercat

Well, it makes/receives calls and texts. 

Man I really wish they had a manual I could print out and read. 

Haven't the slightest clue what most of the icons are. 

I think this is enough angst for today.  I thank everyone who offered assistance. 🤗

But I might be back if I can't figure out how anything else works. 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glimmercat : Just so you know for future...that "too big" SIM card may have been the tri-punch. Now that it's dead see if you can see a frame around the contact part (nano). Even the new one you got will have been punched out of a larger frame.

But again, if it's too old then it wouldn't've been the tri-punch.

Edit: As for internet...you would need to set the APN (Access Point Name) to here. It should have loaded automatically but sometimes things happen. And of course turn on cell data.

@glimmercat    So, you are all good now? or you have to get another new SIM?

glimmercat

Sorry for not responding sooner.  I got it to make and receive a phone call!! 

I had to get a new SIM card; the old one was too big.  But it looks like I need to find a way to access the internet without wifi, though.  I evidently wrote down the wrong wifi password all those months ago when I got my internet.  (I use internet on my wired desktop pc.)

Argh I hate technology. 

@exr8dcanadian wrote:

Try this. Put your old SIN card 

the SIN card might not be very helpful in this case  LoL

@glimmercat 

If the SIM card works in your old phone make sure you insert the SIM card the correct side up. That it fits snugly in the sim slot. Insert and reboot the phone. 

Still no service ? Toggle airplane mode on/off. Service?

Next would be to reset your network settings..... we can cross that bridge if we need to.....

exr8dcanadian

Try this. Put your old SIN card in the phone and restart it. You’ll get a text from your old carrier asking to restart the port. Hit Y and it’ll start the process. Wait until you get another confirmation text that it’s done. Put your new SIM card in and restart the phone. Wait 5 min and you’re good 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@glimmercat 

You probably didn't need to change sim cards at all but thats neither here or there now.You could test the new SIM card in your old phone by  snapping the larger frame back onto the nano SIM card. That will determine if there is a problem with the SIM card or not.

The pixel phone probably needs to update to the latest OS. Connect to WiFi and check under settings>>about phone>>Android version and it will tell you if you need to update if it doesn't prompt you from the main screen to update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glimmercat : Have you had the same SIM card all these years? You ought to have been able to re-use it in another phone rather than buying a new SIM. But if it's that old then maybe it's not the tri-punch style that they are now.

glimmercat

I'm not tryiing to lol.  Sorry, I need to make this funny or I'll cry. 

Been with PM for years, same number. 

exr8dcanadian

Are you porting your number from another carrier?

Need Help? Let's chat.