cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messages

Kingz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The text is not receiving messages unless it is hooked up to wifi. As well, the phone does not send unless the phone is on wifi.

8 REPLIES 8

Zz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The phone may be connected to a messenger app which brings in all the texts and sends them also. Make sure your text messaging is seperate from any messaging apps such as Facebook Messenger and see if that works. If that doesn't work you may need to refresh the settings for messaging.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Is everything working fine now?

Kingz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kingz wrote:

The text is not receiving messages unless it is hooked up to wifi. As well, the phone does not send unless the phone is on wifi.

@Kingz is data working for you? If it's an iPhone, are you seeing "LTE" beside "Public Mobile" in the upper-left? Can you browse or access internet resources when not connected to WiFi? If you have a utility to show your cellular IP address (I use a free one called Net Analyzer, available from the App Store), this is a good clue you have data connectivity (you'll see public-facing IP address in the 207.x.x.x subnet, and your assigned IP address will likely be on a 10.x.x.x, 100.x.x.x, or 25.x.x.x subnet).

On the surface, it sounds like your data isn't working properly. It would definitely help to see what your "My Data & Add-Ons" section shows in your self-serve portal, to ensure you have adequate data (required for iMessage to work, again assuming this is what you're referring to).

srlawren

@mpcdesign wrote:

I would also check to see if you enter the correct username and password to your wi-fi account. If not sure, go to local place that offers free wi-fi. If the wi-fi does connect, then change the settings permission. If you connect with them, then go home/work and try again. If it doesn't work then it's your username or password. 

@mpcdesign what would this have to do with anything?  They're saying the messages send when they are on wi-fi, so I don't think getting on the wi-fi is the issue.  Just sayin'.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

I would also check to see if you enter the correct username and password to your wi-fi account. If not sure, go to local place that offers free wi-fi. If the wi-fi does connect, then change the settings permission. If you connect with them, then go home/work and try again. If it doesn't work then it's your username or password. 

What type of phone do you have and have you checked it on willmyphonework.net your phone may not have all the bands or the main ones that PM operates on.  For data check your APN settings. 

Here is a great site to setup your APN and instructions on how to do it.  Find the APN Settings for Public Mobile here!

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *

srlawren

@Kingz wrote:

@Kingz is this an iPhone?  Sounds like you need to enable delivery over SMS.  I'm not an iPhone guy but will tag some folks that might be able to help:  @Luddite @Rockdaddy22 @CalgaryBen

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Wi-Fi isn't even part of the text messaging SMS specification. Text messaging does not require a Wi-Fi connection or any internet connection for that matter.

Are you on iPhone or Android?

Check your account if you indeed sending texts messages on the account (denotes usage type would be SMS), or Call Type: Either Incoming Text or Outgoing Text.

If nothing shows up on the account as above, then...

If you use wi-fi, to receive her texts, chances are the app such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Facebook Messenger, Viber, Skype, etc. You may need to change the permission for receiving messages on the phone.

App not being used: If you aren't using an app, then it could be a moderator that needs to help you with this. When a moderator from the moderator team posts a message, they want you to send them a private message. You don't need to report the situation/story in the forum. Wondering why they want you to contact them directly? The moderator team will need to ask you some private information that you really don't want the forum and the world know such as your PIN number, account information, phone number and maybe an email address. Unfortunately, the moderators are done for the day, and won't return until later this morning. 

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order, they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on the message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

Need Help? Let's chat.