cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering is Working Now

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Folks, I had a tech call me a couple of times this afternoon and we did some testing to see what was happening on the network end when I attempted to do tethering.  He got some valuable test data and was able to resolve the problem fairly quickly.  I got a call back late afternoon that the problem should be resolved.  I did some testing tonight and indeed the problem is resolved. 

Just to debunk some myths here, both sp.mb.com and isp.mb.com APNs can be used for tethering.  The latter was design exclusively to trigger logging of tethering activities.  Both have always allowed tethering.  I prefer sp.mb.com because latency seems to be a lot better.  For the android users, make sure that APN type field includes the following input:  default,supl,mms,dun. 

13 REPLIES 13

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@stonechucker, Nice to hear! 🙂

I too have tethering again.  Writing this post via my iPad tethered to my Nexus 5.

who says iOS and Android can't get along? Lol.  Just need to use the right device at the right time.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire
That's great to hear, and thanks for the update. It's nice to be able to talk to the technical team for these types of issues.

I wish they had this option available for the speed issues. It would've helped to provide quicker resolution.

Michael77
I didn't change any settings on my phone. The tech guy fixed everything from the backend.

So for those didnt have tethering working, what did the tech guy tell you to do?  Just change those setting and your tethering is working again?

Did he changed anything on public mobile side?

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Folks, I had a tech call me a couple of times this afternoon and we did some testing to see what was happening on the network end when I attempted to do tethering.  He got some valuable test data and was able to resolve the problem fairly quickly.  I got a call back late afternoon that the problem should be resolved.  I did some testing tonight and indeed the problem is resolved. 

Just to debunk some myths here, both sp.mb.com and isp.mb.com APNs can be used for tethering.  The latter was design exclusively to trigger logging of tethering activities.  Both have always allowed tethering.  I prefer sp.mb.com because latency seems to be a lot better.  For the android users, make sure that APN type field includes the following input:  default,supl,mms,dun. 

@will13am

Thanks for this report.

My APN type includes this (in that order):
default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

I've never had any problems (that I've noticed) thus far.  Do you know if there could there be any issues with this setup?  I have an S7, running marshmallow 6.0.1, if that matters.

Well you know what they say, don't fix it if it ain't broken.  This is what I know about APN types. I always have default, supl and dun as a rule.  mms is included if mms settings are included in a single APN.  Public Mobile specifies a single APN and so I include mms.

https://tamingthedroid.com/apn-type

Depending on the phone/network combination, dun can be essential for tethering.  I am not technically savvy enough to explain why but this is the behavior that I have come to know.  For example, my phone can tether on the Wind network without dun in the APN type field.  If I include dun, it still works.  With Public Mobile, I have to have dun included otherwise it won't work.  My tablet needs dun to tether on the Wind network, same with Public Mobile. 

Yeah, I'm inclined to leave it as is, since it's working.  Just wanted to check in case you knew of a good reason not to.  Thanks.

Michael77
@will13am, I would think it is the same guy. 🙂

@Michael77 wrote:
I also had a tech guy from PM call me and leave a message on my voicemail. He said tethering has been fixed. He asked me to test it. He left his phone number which is a 514 number. He asked me to confirm by phone or text message that everything is working ok. He said that if he didn't hear from me he would call me on Monday. I am very impressed with his service. I give PM and the tech guy two thumps up! I really liked the fact that I had the option to chat on the phone with PM! 🙂 😉

It is probably the same tech I spoke to during the day.  He was a really nice guy, very patient and courteous.  We spent quite a bit of time over the phone doing troubleshooting so that he can monitor my data activities to help narrow down what was breaking the tethering.  Here we have people screaming about the customer service level not being up to par because there isn't a call centre across the ocean staffed with people who know nothing about the service. 

Michael77
I also had a tech guy from PM call me and leave a message on my voicemail. He said tethering has been fixed. He asked me to test it. He left his phone number which is a 514 number. He asked me to confirm by phone or text message that everything is working ok. He said that if he didn't hear from me he would call me on Monday. I am very impressed with his service. I give PM and the tech guy two thumbs up! I really liked the fact that I had the option to chat on the phone with PM! 🙂 😉

@SD08 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am

Thanks for this report.

I've never had any problems (that I've noticed) thus far.  Do you know if there could there be any issues with this setup?  I have an S7, running marshmallow 6.0.1, if that matters.

Well you know what they say, don't fix it if it ain't broken.  This is what I know about APN types. I always have default, supl and dun as a rule.  mms is included if mms settings are included in a single APN.  Public Mobile specifies a single APN and so I include mms.

https://tamingthedroid.com/apn-type

Depending on the phone/network combination, dun can be essential for tethering.  I am not technically savvy enough to explain why but this is the behavior that I have come to know.  For example, my phone can tether on the Wind network without dun in the APN type field.  If I include dun, it still works.  With Public Mobile, I have to have dun included otherwise it won't work.  My tablet needs dun to tether on the Wind network, same with Public Mobile. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@will13am

Thanks for this report.

Yep, the tech was from Telus/Public Mobile.  The call was from a toll free number.  I believe the person worked out of Montreal.  He gave me a 514 area code number to report on status after I completed my testing tonight. I submitted the double thumbs up SMS not that long ago.

I know that some people reported being able to get tethering working earlier.  It may have been serendipity because the network problem was still there as of this afternoon.  It was apparently some setting that was turned off in error.  Everybody should be able to have tethering again.  Please report any problem in this thread.  I do have the persons number and I can report back any persisting issues. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, some users also reported working in another topics.

Just curious, the tech who called was from PM?

Need Help? Let's chat.