cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering Has Been Disabled/Is Broken

gflarity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been tethering with public mobile for months. It stopped working this week. I know it's not my phone as I used other people's SIM cards in my phone flawlessly.  I've looked into forum posted but everything seems to be from years ago and involve messing with your APN settings. Nope. I need this resolved ASAP. 

14 REPLIES 14

sb4699
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I changed the APN from isp to sp and it worked! Thanks so much.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The tethering problem has been resolved.  I have completed some fairly extensive testing and I can say it works using both isp.mb.com and sp.mb.com.  The latency is a lot better with sp.mb.com, perhaps due to not having to go through a logging routine.  I have always used sp.mb.com, going back to what has always worked. 

Hi @will13am

Unfortunately this is entirely a core network issue and I'm not much of an expert when it comes to the core. I assume Telus engineers will identify and resolve the issue soon.

I know back in the day when tethering was a new feature, people would use it all the time and operators wanted to be able to charge customers for it. So they convinced phone manufacturers to report tethering status to the network. Pretty much all devices do this now, so the network is aware if the phone is being used for tethering or not. Most operators nowadays don't care to differentiate pricing for tethering, but it was a "feature" a few years ago. There are ways to mask the tethering status from being sent to the network, but it involves rooting or jailbreaking phones to do this.

Nexus 5 example:

https://nexus5.gadgethacks.com/how-to/tether-your-nexus-5-without-your-carrier-knowing-0155546/

Having said all that, it's up to Telus to determine what the issue is. The RAN does not care. It simply relays the phone status to the core network.

Personally, I only have sp.mb.com and I'm not having any tethering issues.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@makkahn28, it is not an APN related issue.  With whatever APN we had on our phones, everything was working up until a few days ago.  The APN settings didn't self corrupt on all our phones.  Anyway, the techs are on it. 

Update:  I just receive a phone call from Public Mobile tech support.  I learned a little about the two APNs and their differences at the network end.  Apparently isp.mb.com was supposed to be the "official" tethering APN.  Those wanting to use tethering were supposed to be asked to use this APN.  This APN incorporated some information logging on tethering for monitoring, potentially marketing purposes.  The non tethering APN sp.mb.com also supports tethering as they don't block it.  So unless customers "got the memo" about using the tethering APN, it is really a free for all.  Recently, the network problem they have been having was with the isp.mb.com APN.  People were to migrate over to the sp.mb.com.  I guess the problem grew and tethering is being affected on the sp.mb.com.  I tried a tethering session with the tech.  He did some diagnostics and got some data points.  The traffic bung up is definitely at the network end.  He detected some brief requests to websites and then things stopped.  Its back to the drawing board.  Stay tuned.  If I get any more information, I will post it.  @sheytoon, if you are around, we sure could use some of your expert networking knowledge here. 

Update 2:  I just received another call back from tech support.  They believe that they have found and resolved the problem that is breaking tethering.  I don't have a device to do a tethering test at the moment and so I will try at home tonight.  Others who had problems with tethering, please try and report status.  Use the sp.mb.com APN, include default,dun in the APN type.

Hi. Please try these

Mayor / Maire

APN (Access Point Name) and Tethering APN Protocol Set-up Guide

APN Settings:

Name: Mobile Internet

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

Tags (0)

makkahn28

Mayor / Maire

Re: APN (Access Point Name) and Tethering APN Protocol Set-up Guide

APN Tethering Settings:

Name: Tethered Mobile Internet

APN: isp.mb.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

MMS proxy: Not set

MMS port: Not set

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: dun

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

@Luddite wrote:

@gflarity @will13am A friend and I had this issue yesterday. We both use iPhones and the "cure" was to change our APN setting to sp.mb.com from isp.mb.com.

This has affected several people and I understand PM's tech team is looking for the cause.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Tethering-is-not-working/td-p/176820/page...

@Luddite, the APN isp.mb.com does not seem to work on android devices.  All data stops working, not just tethering.  I sent a message to the moderator team to followup on my ticket from two days ago  concerning the tethering problem.  Simon responded back saying that this is a system wide issue affect a lot of the customer base and it is being worked on.  I was told the problem should be resolved shortly.  So, I think we just need to sit tight. 

gflarity

My APN is already sp.mb.com 😞

sb4699
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I have the same tethering problem. It worked flawlessly for 3 weeks but no longer works.

gflarity

Thanks wetcoaster. It's nice to have a easy to click link the instructions below are just ridiculous.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

gflarity

Thanks luddite, will try that.

@gflarity @will13am A friend and I had this issue yesterday. We both use iPhones and the "cure" was to change our APN setting to sp.mb.com from isp.mb.com.

This has affected several people and I understand PM's tech team is looking for the cause.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Tethering-is-not-working/td-p/176820/page...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@gflarity wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'll be switching my entire family if I don't get prompt response to this. This is core functionality and I expect a higher level of support than having to post in a forum. I don't mind not having a number to call, but this is ridiculous.

You can directly contact the @Moderator_Team for assistance with problems that need technical back end support or account access. (The mods are PMs customer service reps.)

Include all relevant data, like account number, phone number etc.

For more information on contacting them check out: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

gflarity

Thanks for the info. I'll be switching my entire family if I don't get prompt response to this. This is core functionality and I expect a higher level of support than having to post in a forum. I don't mind not having a number to call, but this is ridiculous.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@gflarity, I am experiencing the same thing.  There have been a few threads created on this topic.  Some people have reported that they lost tethering but got it back.  I have not been so lucky myself.  I have inquired about the problem and they opened up a ticket to investigate.  It has been a couple of days and still no resolution. 

Need Help? Let's chat.