cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus vs PM connection

abck512
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I know they use the same towers, but I have a PM phone which mostly shows no signal when I am camping and my friend has a phone on Telus which is getting a strong enough signal to check email.   Is it possible PM does not get as strong a signal as Telus?  Both these phones are iphone XS. 

11 REPLIES 11

Exactly as @computergeek541 said.

@abck512 wrote:

I am told by the PM agent that it is because PM is a 3G network and cannot be expected to have the same signal strength as Telus which is 5G.   Good to know. 

That information is incorrect  The plans that Public Mobile advertises as having 3g data only relates to the data speed when connected to the LTE network.  All Public Mobile customers have access to both the HSPA and LTE networks. Signal will be 100% identical for those.  There will be a slight difference in voice coverage, but that's only because Public Mobile doesn't allow phone calls on the LTE network.

abck512

I am told by the PM agent that it is because PM is a 3G network and cannot be expected to have the same signal strength as Telus which is 5G.   Good to know. 

If Telus phone and PM phone are both iPhone XS, it doesn't matter if they are in Manitoba or not.

@abck512 wrote:

thanks.  I tried rebooting and went from a weak signal to no signal for a long time.  Also tried switching from LTE to 3G and back and forth.  It's been like this for a few years.. the Telus phone is just getting a stronger signal more consistently than mine on PM. 

@abck512 what is the area you are in?

Is it perhaps the Manitoba area? IF so, please refer to this:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@abck512 it's not possible. You can try @hTideGnow's suggestion to narrow down the issue.

What phones do you and your friend have?

Are they are the same?

Maybe some brands have stronger receiver (or whatever) so phone is more sensitive? Even the same phones having the same chips not necessary are equal.

Think about old times when people were building desktop PCs and used the same CPU; one could be overclocked more that the other even being the same model.

Good idea is to switch SIMs as suggested above and see if your SIM works better with your friends' phone. Then you will know who culprit is...

@abck512   Both phones are iPhone XS?  I would try to swap SIM and swap phone with your friend to see.  (Your PM SIM on your friend's iPhone and your friends Telus SIM on yours)   Just want to confirm it is a not a device issue

abck512

thanks.  I tried rebooting and went from a weak signal to no signal for a long time.  Also tried switching from LTE to 3G and back and forth.  It's been like this for a few years.. the Telus phone is just getting a stronger signal more consistently than mine on PM. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@abck512 wrote:

Hello, I know they use the same towers, but I have a PM phone which mostly shows no signal when I am camping and my friend has a phone on Telus which is getting a strong enough signal to check email.   Is it possible PM does not get as strong a signal as Telus?  Both these phones are iphone XS. 

@abck512 ,

Make sure you reboot regularly.

Performing a Network reset of your device is a good thing to do occasionally if you are experiencing Network issues.

Try going into your Settings, and into the Mobile Connections section. Then force your connection to the LTE for Data or 3G when using calling services.

Normally, it is best to keep this on the Auto setting. But different services use different connections, so this could improve your service for what you are currently in need of.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

They should be able to get the same signal.  PM uses both Telus and Bell towers.  Have you tried rebooting your phone and if you have a second phone to swap the sim ?

Need Help? Let's chat.