cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus to shutter CDMA service on January 31, 2017

Hmm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/05/30/telus-to-shutter-cdma-service-on-january-31-2017/

Just curious. What happens to older devices that are using Telus' 3G and HSPA data but WCDMA for voice calling.

5 REPLIES 5

newfoundland
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't think so. Currently, most phone sold in Canada doesn't have CDMA connection at all...

Rogers is the only GSM/WCDMA provider in Canada. The GSM/WCDMA technology is totally different than CDMA.

CDMA is another individual network with different equipments, it will cost much to keep both HSPA and CDMA network running.

EdZeg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I assume this must be to free up that spectrum for faster protocols?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Hmm - I'm also curious about this, my old LG-C800G happens to be one of these devices.

Odd that Telus is apparently choosing to mothball all their old CDMA hardware.  They still have 3G compatibility (and Bell still has 2G compatibility) because, during past upgrades, they integrated their existing hardware functionality alongside their new hardwares - and today's newest 4G devices continue to offer 2G connectivity as a redundant (and power-saving) mobile communications option.  I don't think it costs much more money to operate equipment that's already in place, and it seems like proprietary niche stuff which cannot be resold (except to a competitor, if any are interested).

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

CDMA is not the same as WCDMA.  CDMA is their 2G network.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This would only affect CDMA handsets which don't use SIM cards.

Need Help? Let's chat.