cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Telus

Milihife
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a telus account for one phone that my son uses. The telus account is in my name (mom). Does the telus account need to be in his name before switching to Public Mobile?

5 REPLIES 5

@computergeek541 

Got it. Have it available but do exactly the same as returning to Canada at a land border.....only answer questions asked and offer no more. 😀

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Supply as much information about your Telus account. Assuming it is a mobile account. 

ie. 

Exact name and address on account. 

Account number. 

Phone number. 

Pin number. 

When porting, it isn't a good idea to supply as much informaiton as possible. Number porting is an automated process and the system won't find the request more credible just because more information is proivided. The least amount of information about the old account that still meets the minimum requirements is best.  

When it comes to account PIN, this should almost never be used for number porting.  There are many case of people not knowing the account PIN or confusing it with either the voicemail password, phone PIN, or SIM card PIN, all of which can be different.

By including more than just the name on the old account and the account number, this actually increases the chance of porting failure.  While it doesn't always cause a problem, it's one more thing that could not match the records of the old carrier.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Milihife wrote:

I have a telus account for one phone that my son uses. The telus account is in my name (mom). Does the telus account need to be in his name before switching to Public Mobile?

@Milihife 

Supply as much information about your Telus account. Assuming it is a mobile account. 

ie. 

Exact name and address on account. 

Account number. 

Phone number. 

Pin number. 

Keep in mind there isn’t really, from what I can see, a verification of who you are on PM vs the number you are pulling other than that Telus will text the Telus mobility phone for you to confirm that the port out is ok. The above information should only be known by the owner. 

So make sure the Telus Account is still active and leave Telus SIM in a phone. 

Create an email address or alias for sign in for his PM account. An email that should never be deleted. 

Is worthwhile to make a list of emails and aliases and what other things are associated to the email. 

My Telus to PM port took only a few minutes. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Milihife 

No. As long as you are authorized to port the number the name on the telus account does not matter. When you fill out the info to port the number into public mobile either upon activation or afterwards thru the self serve account be sure to check the authorized to port box then enter:

1. Name on the telus account.
  2. Phone number to be ported.
  3. Telus account #.
  4. Alternate phone #. (Optional) Any phone # you can be reached at in case there is an issue.

Keep the telus sim card in the phone to reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of receiving it. The port will complete within a few minutes to a maximum of 2 hours. Once ported the telus account will be closed and the sim card will stop working. After replying to the text put the pm sim card in the phone and reboot.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Milihife no worry,  you can still port that number into PM . 

The name in PM account does  not have to match the one on Telus.   Just make sure you provide the required info for the Telus account.  Remember it is better to provide account number and not the IMEI on the porting request

Need Help? Let's chat.