cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Koodo and now my account is gone?

Trigor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have recently ported my number over to Koodo and now my Public Mobile Self Serve account is now gone. I had over $130 in bill credits that I pre-paid by buying vouchers at shoppers drug mart. Now it's compeltely gone and I can't log in. I'm extremely upset as this is $130 I have lost, there was no notification saying if I ported my number that my account would be closed down.

17 REPLIES 17

I'm not saying that I agree with it, but ALL carriers close down the service when the number has been ported out.  And, each and every prepaid account at every carrier has the balances wipe out if you port out.  Unfortuately, based on the Wireless Code of Conduct, there is zero protection for prepaid consumers for these types of balances.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

Someone forgot to read the terms of service, or forgot them, or didn’t understand them.

Well that's just it. What's the scenario that leads to the surprise?

You're talking to buddy in a bar and he's boasting about the great deal he has with whatever carrier. You think to yourself "jeez I'm paying way more than that" while nodding oh yeah oh yeah. So you haul off to the other place and jump in and buy the SIM and give them your old number and bam. What? Say what now? How much? I can't get my money back? It's too late now?

Instead of figuring out what the ramifications are before dropping your hard-earned money and maybe losing your hard-earned money. It's your money! Know what it's doing.

/rant

But sure...human nature...I don't grasp everything or read everything either. 🙂

@stonechucker wrote:

Someone forgot to read the terms of service, or forgot them, or didn’t understand them.

^^^This^^^ plus a misunderstanding of the ramifications of a number port.  Dangerous combo.  Call the lost funds tuition without a tax receipt. 

Prepaid is prepaid.  postpaid is pay after usage, different idea.  Its like that long time ago.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Trigor wrote:

I have recently ported my number over to Koodo and now my Public Mobile Self Serve account is now gone. I had over $130 in bill credits that I pre-paid by buying vouchers at shoppers drug mart. Now it's compeltely gone and I can't log in. I'm extremely upset as this is $130 I have lost, there was no notification saying if I ported my number that my account would be closed down.

In Canada, there is no refund on prepaid plan whether it is PM prepaid or Chatr prepaid.  At least you get $180 Koodo credit to compensate for any cost related to switching carrier.

srlawren

@Trigor wrote:

I had no intention on closing my account down, that's the issue. I wanted to open an account with Koodo while also keeping my Public Mobile plan. I was hopeing to get a new number on Public Mobile once I ported my currently number over to Koodo.

I have messaged the moderators.. Hopefully they can give me my account back.

@Trigor unfortunately that is not possible with any provider in Canada.  Once a number is ported out, the line is closed, period.  You cannot retain it with a number.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@Trigor porting a number closes the account. Intentional or not you can't  have both the migration plan + keep the pm plan.

Trigor

Yeah I understand why it happened now. Just didn't know it was a thing, had a work phone for a very long time, never had my own plan so this is all new to me. Thanks for the help.. Hopefully I can get my account reopened or something. I will report back when I get an answer.

@Trigorwrote:

I had no intention on closing my account down, that's the issue. I wanted to open an account with Koodo while also keeping my Public Mobile plan. I was hopeing to get a new number on Public Mobile once I ported my currently number over to Koodo.

With any carrier, an account cancels/deactivates itself as soon as you port out your number. I understand that you had no intention to close your account, but in the end you porting out of Public Mobile is the cause of the account closure. 

@Trigor wrote:

So without warning I just completely lose all the money on my account? That's pretty bad.. Theres absolutely no way to recover my account now?

To clarify this is actual money I have spent on the account. It's not bonuses or referral rewards.

That, is the way prepaid works with all the carriers. You should always ensure your account is close to the end of a cycle and that you have no actual funds remaining in it before porting number out. The phone number is connected to the account, once the number is gone, there is no need for an account, being prepaid you are always paid in full. 

I hope you sucess but I wouldn't get my hopes up!

Please let us know if you are successful or not, if you do not mind.

Thanks

Trigor

mimmo

Not really sure what you expect. It's pretty clear in the terms of service once an account is closed everything is forefited. Not sure why you would expect that if you port out and still have an active account.

On the bright side you have a free 180$ in billcrefits and if you used a referral then an extra $50.

You are ahead of the game.

@Trigor

Agree with comment above.  Only chance is to contact moderator and explain your situation and see what happens.  For the most recent Koodo migration offers, they offered credits up to $180 to cover the costs of porting over, etc.  

I am not sure whether they can refund you, but maybe able to move the credits to another public mobile account or potentially to your new Koodo account, but no guarantees.  Does not hurt asking though.  Expect a 2-3 day wait though.....  

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Trigor wrote:

So without warning I just completely lose all the money on my account? That's pretty bad.. Theres absolutely no way to recover my account now?

To clarify this is actual money I have spent on the account. It's not bonuses or referral rewards.

You can try to Ask a moderator (Can take up to 48 hrs, 1 message at a time). However, do note that they do not have the obligation to refund you as they've fulfilled their contract duty.

If you switch to any other provider, your previous account is closed, it's the same across Canada. And I believe it's very understandable since you left your previous provider thus ending any ties with it, along with your old account. PM mods are kind though, might refund you.

Trigor

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Trigor wrote:

Hey, yeah once you port out than a prepaid account is closed. Works the same for all carriers with prepaid services. 

Unfortunately being prepaid all is lost once the account is gone and refunds are not possible even if the account was still open

Sorry about that.

Need Help? Let's chat.