cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected fraud

Cathie2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I've received 2 text messages purporting to be from Telus, with direct reference to my Public Mobile phone number, requesting that I click on a link to accept a payment of $45.91 as a "reimbursement to apologise for the overpayment on my previous invoice".
I am concerned that someone should have access to my account details.

6 REPLIES 6

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The 999 number is actually how an email -> text looks. We can email out to a phone number and it will look like that as a sender. (with the proper @ stuff).

@Cathie2   Lol...interesting number and probably the first clue that it's not legitimate.

@Cathie2   one more thing to note, those 999-999-9999 phone number just a spoofing number

Usually PM will send things via its own valid shortcodes.  One of them is 611, there are couple more but I don't have it off my head

And generally, DO NOT click on the link from any sms.  E.g,   If it is about your bank, instead of use the SMS link,  login to your bank the proper way and check if there is any related message.  

Cathie2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Cathie2_0-1666636414083.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. Message now deleted.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Cathie2  no worry about someone have access to your account.  Spammers shot these text to many numbers without the need to access the account, they just want you to click on it and the enter the username password and then they got your credentials.

So,  no worry, but DELETE the text.  Don't click or do anything with the link

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Don't click anything. It's almost certainly phishing.

Are you able to post an image of what you have but cover any identifiable information.

Need Help? Let's chat.