cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store says they don't cover Public Mobile warranty

Nevina
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Followed this guide: https://publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/phone-warranty-returns-repairs

For in-warranty repair, it refers to Telus locations (https://www.telus.com/checkwarranty)

Called two stores and they said they don't have any dealing with Public Mobile at all. What can we do to have a phone repaired with the warranty? 

Bought last December. Died overnight, nothing happened to it. Phone sits on logo screen without booting. Tried doing reset (volume down+power button), just reboots back to logo screen. Can't reach other recommended menus. 

Would greatly appreciate any assistance on getting the warranty claim. Thank you for your time!

12 REPLIES 12

@SteTem wrote:

Ive read a lot about people having a problem buying through Walmart

I went to Canada Super Store and purchased a sim with any problems at all

The online registration was easy

If you have a local Super Store i would suggest you try them

This issue at hand is Telus-branded stores (whether copoprately owned or authorized resellers) not honoring device warranty for Public Mobiel customers. Going to Walmart or Real Canadian Superstore isn't going to help this customer as those retail stores are not Telus warranty locations.

SteTem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ive read a lot about people having a problem buying through Walmart

I went to Canada Super Store and purchased a sim with any problems at all

The online registration was easy

If you have a local Super Store i would suggest you try them

Nevina

@darlicious - You're right in that we were referring to it as a Public Mobile warranty when we asked!

@computergeek541 - Originally thought we couldn't access the IMEI with the phone not starting, but just realized I left the phone sticker on the back which lists the IMEI on it! So if that's the only info they need, that seems pretty promising..

Thank you all for the tips and information! Will see how it goes when business hours roll around tomorrow.

Agree, @darlicious 

It would be interesting if the OP made it abundantly clear the issue was not account-related, rather related to a device warranty issue.   I'm guessing they did.   So yes, likely comes down to top-down training of in-store staff and a failure to be aware of their role.

I'm guessing TELUS and Koodo stores may get a fair share of Public Mobile customers with account-related problems wanting them to address the issues.  

@HALIMACS 

This problem lies directly at telus' feet for not communicating changes to their warranty structure to franchisee or affiliate stores so that they could properly educate/inform/train their staff. Another fail when it comes to customer service.

This is great information, @computergeek541 

It's quite regrettable that customers following Public Mobile documented warranty claims processes would have to go through hoops to have this done.

I would hope the Moderators would be able to effectively engage the correct persons within Public Mobile to ensure this will be addressed if the customer is due warranty coverage.

I might think twice about purchasing, or recommending others purchase, through Public Mobile after hearing about this.

@Nevina wrote:

Followed this guide: https://publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/phone-warranty-returns-repairs

For in-warranty repair, it refers to Telus locations (https://www.telus.com/checkwarranty)

Called two stores and they said they don't have any dealing with Public Mobile at all. What can we do to have a phone repaired with the warranty? 

Bought last December. Died overnight, nothing happened to it. Phone sits on logo screen without booting. Tried doing reset (volume down+power button), just reboots back to logo screen. Can't reach other recommended menus. 

Would greatly appreciate any assistance on getting the warranty claim. Thank you for your time!

Everyone: The OP (Nevina) is already aware of the procedures for claiming warranty. This issue here is the retaiil locations refusing to honour it.

@Nevina 

As for as the stores should be concerned, this wararnty is for a Telus-sold device and they should be honoring it regardless of if you are are a Telus subscriber or not. Likely, what they're doing is refusing to process the warranty request because you're not a customer of Telus Mobility.   The warranty check site for Telus just checks the IMEI for a warranty expiry date and with that, I would imagine not even a proof of purchase would be required unless that warranty expiry date was never properly updated.  If the IMEI is in the warranty check database, the device is considered to be a Telus phone.

I believe that @Jess_D might be the best person to talk to about this situation as this isn't a typical service or account issue that moderators would normally deal with.  Likely, what has to happen is for a regional sales manager to instruct locations in your area that they must honor the warranty for these devices, even if the customer is a Public Mobile subscriber.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Nevina 

My apologies I just realized I just reiterated info you had supplied. The issue may be that you refererred to your device as a public mobile phone vs a telus phone. The stores you called are probably unaware that they have a mandate to repair pm phones because this option has only recently been reintroduced to pm customers after many years of not offering devices for sale to customers.

Nevina

Doesn't seem I'm able to submit a ticket (option greyed out), so I went ahead with sending mail to the team. Thanks for the tips!

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Nevina 

Your Certified Pre-Owned warranty has you covered for any manufacturer defects for 1 year (excluding Physical / Liquid damage), starting from the date of purchase. For more information on conditions, and instructions to submit a warranty claim Click here

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I would certainly initiate your concern with the Moderators, and escalate from there.

Have a read here first, to ensure you're following their established processes:

CPO Warranty, Returns & Repair (publicmobile.ca)

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.