cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Test Only 60 MBPS on 5G

chezerner
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I switched to a 5G plan about a week ago and when I do a speed test it's only about 60 MBPS. Any ideas? I'm in a major city with 5G coverage

9 REPLIES 9

@99guy I remember back in the day some carrier sim cards didn't work with 4G, for example; so you had to get a new one. That is not the case with PM sim cards.

Try changing your preferred network to 4G and run a speed test from the same spot. 60 ain't bad at all, but who knows, it may increase.

99guy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I agree with you a new SIM is not needed. I am getting 5G but not fast. I am curious if a new card would make a diffenence. All the service providers out there want to sell more SIM cards and all recommand new cards for the 5G. Do they have a legit reason? I have been thinking SIM's for ID purpose and allows you to get onto the system. 3G,4G,5G speed is done on the backend by service provider. However with new tech, it could be an older SIM has certain limitation on it and render them expired. You can still use them but cannot utilize all features and benefits of the 5G system. If that's the case, service providers should send us replacement SIMs just like credit card companies do. 

@99guy A new sim card is not needed.

As @TheBlackCat mentioned, it's "up to" 250Mbps. For that to happen you need near perfect conditions (i.e. right beside the tower, limited congestion, in a 5G area etc). Also note that 4G signal penetrates obstacles better than 5G, and I often find that I get higher speeds on 4G as a result. Also note that 60Mbps is perfectly acceptable for 99.99% of what we need to do on our phones. In practical use scenarios you won't notice a difference between 60 and 250Mbps. I'd be more interested in ping time.

99guy

I have the same issue. I was told by customer service agent to get a new SIM card. My card is around 2/3 years old. I joined PM on the 3G plan and switched to 5G a month ago. Are you using an older SIM as well?

I did some lookups and some people insist it has nothing to do with a SIM. However some say only newer SIM can take full benefits of a new 5G system.

So the chance is 50/50. I might get a new card to try later.

Cheers!

TheBlackCat

Highly dependent on the quality of the network as well as the congestion on it. PM says "up to" speeds which is a way of saying there's no guarantee you'll achieve those 5G numbers.

I understand. I have seen people inquire about this many times.  What they have said is that if you are on a 5G plan, even you will still have a speed higher than that of 4g or 3g. Keep it on 5g auto if option is there.

I also have a 5g plan but it doesn't work, I'm still connected to LTE which is pretty fast.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

chezerner

1000012708.png

chezerner

Pixel 6A and it shows 5G in the top corner of the screen 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

What type of phone do you have? Is your phone  network on the 5g settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.