Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Calls from China?

Jemini88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anyone know how to stop these? 

14 REPLIES 14

@Kristowhy- I had replied earlier to HALIMACS that I'm on the old 50/50 plan. That's 50 outgoing texts and 50 TOTAL minutes. I have two of those in a dual sim phone. Add-on data comes in at full speed 4G LTE.

I answer calls because it doesn't kill me to. I don't understand why people screen and ignore. It doesn't hurt. If it's a human then you have an opportunity to say something to them. If it's a recording then just hang up. No pain. If you get sucked into a scam then that's on you for not being aware of the possibility of scammers. Don't answer personal questions and don't give any money.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dust2dust wrote:

I get calls from Fedex, UPS, DHL, CanadaPost, some unknown presumably Chinese speaking recording.

I see the number and guess that it's a junk call, answer it and immediately hit the mic mute button. I hear the stupid recording and hang up and go on with my life.

I rarely get live junk calls.

The problem is that they're spoofed numbers and they just call again from a different spoofed number so blocking the numbers is useless.

Of course the answered call takes a minute from my limited minutes plan. Oh well. Public wins again.

Bingo...this is it 100%.

But how does an incoming call take from your minutes when all the plans have unlimited incoming calls?  Is this from an old legacy plan?

Google Phone app does a good job at warning/screening on suspected incoming spam calls.  I never answer any calls I do not recognize. 

@Korth 

Good to know it doesn’t work in Canada. A friend uses it but I find it didn’t work well so I uninstalled the app.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Spam calls can be frustrating and annoying, especially if they are coming from overseas. Here are some steps you can take to help reduce the number of spam calls you receive from China:

1. Block the numbers: If you receive spam calls from the same number repeatedly, you can block them on your phone. Most smartphones have a feature that allows you to block numbers, and you can also download third-party apps that can help block unwanted calls.

2. Use a call blocking app: There are many call blocking apps available for smartphones that can help block unwanted calls. Some of the popular apps include Truecaller, Hiya, and RoboKiller. These apps use a database of known spam numbers to block calls before they even reach your phone.

3. Do not answer unknown numbers: If you receive a call from an unknown number, it is best to let it go to voicemail. If it is a legitimate call, they will leave a message, and you can call them back.

4. Do not share your phone number: Be careful when sharing your phone number online or on social media platforms. Scammers can use this information to make unsolicited calls.

5. Register your number with the National Do Not Call Registry:

6. Consider using a virtual phone number: You can consider using a virtual phone number or a disposable phone number for online purchases or registrations. This can help protect your personal phone number from being sold to telemarketers or scammers.

It's important to note that some scammers may use tactics such as "spoofing" their number to appear as if they are calling from a local area code or a legitimate business. So, even if the call appears to be from your local area, it may still be a spam call. If you receive a call that seems suspicious, it's always best to err on the side of caution and not provide any personal information over the phone.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Jemini88 

... you can download the Truecaller app to reduce spam calls. You can block the numbers but they are probably spoofed numbers.

You should be aware that blocker, burner, masking, unmasking, traceback apps like Truecaller and TrapCall do not work in Canada. Regardless of any apparent functionality or any promises the app might advertise.

Because the CWTA advocated the CRTC to impose regulation in 2012 which blocks the functionality of these services. On this issue they are far more interested in protecting corporate and government privacy than in protecting consumer privacy. The official idiotic position of the CRTC is that the mandated implementation of UNCB by all Canadian carriers and the government-funded DNCL service are enough to block unwanted spam. (Note that Telus has failed to implement any form of UNCB on their network - their official position is that number blocking in the software on consumer devices is good enough - while at the other extreme, Rogers and Bell are implementing invasive AI systems to monitor all calls with the nominal intent of blocking spammers.)

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize and don't expect.

If the unknown caller thinks their call is important then they will always leave a message and they will always try to contact me some other way.

I get those Chinese spam calls in my voicemail from time to time, seemingly always be from different numbers in different area codes. It's the only garbage which gets through. I never respond to it, I just delete the message and block the number. It's just the phone equivalent of junk flyers in your mailbox or spam folder in your email. Once a spammer gets a "live" response from a number they'll put it onto their list - and even trade/sell the list with databrokers, advertisers, other spammers. Don't bite the hook and you won't get caught into an unwanted lifetime subscription to more spam.

jyt822
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On iPhone I’ve set mine to block these calls

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Jemini88 

It is hard to stop all spam calls but you can download the Truecaller app to reduce spam calls.

You can block the numbers but they are probably spoofed numbers.

Well before my time.   Here with PM.   Not on the planet.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jemini88   

I always say spam calls are like junk mail, lettermail.  

For junk mail, people can send letters to each house on the street and you cannot stop it

Similarly for spam calls, they can just call every single number and you really cannot stop it.  Also, with automated systems make the calls, there is really no calls for spammers at all.

Luckily, technology helps us a bit too.  We cannot stop them from call, but we can stop the phone from ringing.  Both Apple and Android has Silence/Block Unknown Callers feature.  Check and you might find this feature useful

@HALIMACS- The old 50/50 plan.

Answering, @dust2dust ?

That's a good ole grandfathered one... would that be pre-2017?

I get calls from Fedex, UPS, DHL, CanadaPost, some unknown presumably Chinese speaking recording.

I see the number and guess that it's a junk call, answer it and immediately hit the mic mute button. I hear the stupid recording and hang up and go on with my life.

I rarely get live junk calls.

The problem is that they're spoofed numbers and they just call again from a different spoofed number so blocking the numbers is useless.

Of course the answered call takes a minute from my limited minutes plan. Oh well. Public wins again.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

There is no way, @Jemini88 

You could change your number, but they'll eventually go there too.

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

Need Help? Let's chat.