cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So who is leaving?

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wonder how many people will make the switch to Koodo now.

I am staying with PM for this round. Lets see what happens...

Either we will feel sorry for them who moved or they will feel sorry for us who have stayed!

74 REPLIES 74

@srlawrenwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

Funny thing is that I received $6 community rewards for February.  I guess that reward is going to waste now.

@computergeek541 yeah, ditto.  See you on the other side.

@srlawren

After a few days of thinking, I actually changed my mind.  I guess it was a case of order now to lock the plan in, back out later if needed.  The Koodo plan is good but I am using maybe only 500MB per month lately and I don't need Canada-wide calling, so there's that.

Perhaps, some day, I'll join the other Koodo customers/ex-Public customers.  Koodo will/might eventually offer a plan so ridiculously good that I couldn't possibly pass up or if Telus forces us there via merger.  This plan is very close to that, but still more expensive for me after you factor in Public Mobile's reward system. 

@Korthwrote:

Schedule some overlap between start-of-new-service and end-of-current-service.  Say, a week or even two ... a "waste" of money, sure, but really it's only 15 or 20 bucks to guarantee there's enough time to complete the most complicated and delayed number port no matter how slow and messy things get, no risk of losing your number.

Usually, that isn't really necessary. Your suggestions definitely aren't bad advice but when we're talking about Koodo here that people are porting to for the offer being discussed, I wouldn't worry too much.  Even at Public Mobile, porting in a phone number, even at the same time as activation, rarely causes a problem. I would imagine that Koodo has far less of those problems. 

I realize that this is a bit of knock against Public Mobile, but I would say Public's support model is one of the main reasons for number porting being so problematic here. 

It's not that number porting issues don't occur at other carriers (they do), but in every instance that I've encountered or friends have told me about, whenever there is any delay in a number port (especially wireless to wireless), even if it's been only a few extra hours, a simple call to customer service fixes this (the exception is Wind/Freedom because they will just tell you that someone will call you back in 3 to 5 days for anything that isn't in the basic script).  When calling 611 at other carriers, they'll put you on hold and I would say that within 5 minutes, they usually come back and your number is ported.

You can't call into customer service at Public Mobile and have to wait for service.  That might be fine for many service issues, but number porting is something that often requires back-and-forth communication.  The wait for each corresponding reply can be unnerving for someone waiting for the phone number to start working again, especially in cases where it stops working already stopped working at the old carrier.

@brainfrezewrote:

The option of having a combined 120-day data roll-up to use as I please is a lovely perk and the 10-day US roaming cost point is great to say the least. Will need to wait for koodo's website to come back up to see what comparable roaming packages they offer.

PM and Koodo each offer perks on their plans which the other lacks, although Koodo does generally come ahead in everything but final price.  Koodo is a great deal if you're going to use all the services and perks they give you, even if only rarely but often enough to outweigh what you'd have to pay through PM.  Koodo is not a great deal if you'll pay more than you already pay on PM for services and perks which you basically won't use.

I personally think Koodo's latest round of offers - $40 5GB/6GB? - is the best and last they're gonna make for this migration path.  You could always leave Koodo after 90 days plus 30 days notice - provided you have no outstanding Tab - without paying any penalty other than a $35 reconnection fee and a new Koodo SIM card (if/when you choose to later switch back to Koodo), plus $10 for a new PM SIM card (assuming you come back to PM, lol).

brainfreze
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As some have mentioned earlier the credits for migrating and the referral makes up for the savings over the course of so many months (or years in my case), granted that koodo doesn't do a price hike in 2 years time (or even just 1). I wouldn't looked passed them if they did, but I am still on the fence about leaving, since it's not like I use that much data anyways, and that I don't have many loyalty bonuses to begin with.

The option of having a combined 120-day data roll-up to use as I please is a lovely perk and the 10-day US roaming cost point is great to say the least. Will need to wait for koodo's website to come back up to see what comparable roaming packages they offer.

Wait for system crash last day

Anyone want to bet?

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@makkahn28wrote:

Me and my Parents, Uncle and another are planning on STAYIN put. I'd be honest

IF I ONLY had the $$$$$, I'd CERTAINLY buy PM Outright, Build the Worknet, and show what the Public Telecom can do. EVERY Canadien deserves the Best

Put down the jack daniels lol

Me and my Parents, Uncle and another are planning on STAYIN put. I'd be honest

IF I ONLY had the $$$$$, I'd CERTAINLY buy PM Outright, Build the Worknet, and show what the Public Telecom can do. EVERY Canadien deserves the Best

Schedule some overlap between start-of-new-service and end-of-current-service.  Say, a week or even two ... a "waste" of money, sure, but really it's only 15 or 20 bucks to guarantee there's enough time to complete the most complicated and delayed number port no matter how slow and messy things get, no risk of losing your number.

@canucks4life in my personal exp I am far more terrified of losing a number HERE than on Koodo

More than a few times I have seen Public do some REALLY weird things (phones that do not expire in a year not being used/top up, SIM cards with 2 phone numbers, 2 seperate account using same number, offering up existing clients numbers as new activations - sometimes in wrong provinces even which messes with the provincial calling rules etc)

@canucks4lifewrote:

I really don't trust the system enough to try it...can't risk losing my phone number had it for 20 years.

FYI Koodo site just went down for "tweaking"

I highly doubt it since tied to number

Using number is just to get past first screen

@ShawnC13wrote:

@niferweewrote:

Wait so just to be clear, after switching from PM to Koodo for the current offer, I can add another line to my account and my friend can port their number over and get the same plan as me (6gb/$40) AND this counts as a referral?

Like my friend doesn't even have to be with PM or have the 12gb/$120 plan?

Not sure if you would get the referral credit

canucks4life

@kav2001cwrote:

@canucks4life you realize once you have an open line you can add additional lines under the same promo plan right?

Open account by activating your primary line that received the offer

Enter offer code and phone number for validation tool

Then ADD a line to your shiny new Koodo account

Use your same phone number (even though on Koodo it will pass the check)

And later just port your second Public number over

Now 2 plans on the $40 6GB promo plan with 1 validation code

@canucks4lifewrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@ScrapIron with multiple lines, that's a smart approach.

Agreed mutliple via lines self referral online is the way to go...wish they would send a migration offer for non-promo 3G minions as well but not likely Cat Sad

I really don't trust the system enough to try it...can't risk losing my phone number had it for 20 years.

FYI Koodo site just went down for "tweaking"

@niferweewrote:

@ShawnC13wrote:

@niferweewrote:

Wait so just to be clear, after switching from PM to Koodo for the current offer, I can add another line to my account and my friend can port their number over and get the same plan as me (6gb/$40) AND this counts as a referral?

Ah okay, but it's still possible to get someone else under the same 6gb/$40 plan at Koodo if I just add them to my line?

You could always to try to see if you Public Mobile phone number still works for validation of the promo code after you've finished setting up your first line - no guarantees though

niferwee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@ShawnC13wrote:

@niferweewrote:

Ah okay, but it's still possible to get someone else under the same 6gb/$40 plan at Koodo if I just add them to my line?

@niferweewrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

niferwee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@canucks4life you realize once you have an open line you can add additional lines under the same promo plan right?

Open account by activating your primary line that received the offer

Enter offer code and phone number for validation tool

Then ADD a line to your shiny new Koodo account

Use your same phone number (even though on Koodo it will pass the check)

And later just port your second Public number over

Now 2 plans on the $40 6GB promo plan with 1 validation code

@canucks4lifewrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

Agreed mutliple via lines self referral online is the way to go...wish they would send a migration offer for non-promo 3G minions as well but not likely Cat Sad

canucks4life

@srlawrenwrote:

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Or you could get 25 Refer A Friend rewards at PM ... $300 per year, ongoing, don't have to canvas more referrals next year, lol.

To those community members who are leaving, I wouldn't mind if you keep coming back here and contribute to the community forum and at the end of the month ask the mods to transfer all your community rewards earned each month to me Smiley Happy

This way, I may never have to pay a cell phone bill again Smiley Happy

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ScrapIron
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This $100 referral is now actually really enticing. I think I will be jumping ship with the rest of my household. I do feel like I may need to move one line over in store first because of the 5-10 business days to ship to maximize the household referral - so that one account can refer the other 2 online.

@computergeek541wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

Funny thing is that I received $6 community rewards for February.  I guess that reward is going to waste now.

Are you out the door already?  I have lost track of what the people are doing.  Until I am on the outside looking in, I don't mind continuing as if nothing is happening.  Even looking in from the outside, I don't see a waste in helping out.  What goes around, comes around.  No need to burn bridges unnecessarily.  Let's call it an amicable divorce.

Not out the door yet - just one foot out.  I have placed an order and am waiting for arrival.  I'm not sure if that's means that they've cleared me on the credit check, but I would imagine that it's a fully automated process and that if someone fails, they've probably tell you right away on the order screen.  I guess I could still back out by just sending the phone back and eating the sim card cost, but as of now, I'm thinking I might as well just go ahead with it as they've arleady done a credit check.

I'll admit that I have been speaking some negatively about Public Mobile lately, especially about the price increases.  And because I plan on leaving/am in the process of leaving, I've felt more willing to mention Public Mobile's flaws, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't consider coming back in the future.  I may even still help out  a little bit around here even after I've fully transitioned to Koodo.

We are both stuck at the tiny threshold.  We will eventually squeeze through.  I must admit that the direction of this service is not good.  I really like the old disruptive concept, always will.  But with Lucky Mobile taking on the Chatr look, Public Mobile had to conform.  This is not something I am not too interested in being a part of.  When I see the migration offer being bettered twice already, it sends a clear message that those with the 2016 fall promo are not welcomed here anymore.  However, they are most welcome with a different Telus brand.  So, we should be good boys and girls and do as we are told.

@will13amwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

Are you out the door already?  I have lost track of what the people are doing.  Until I am on the outside looking in, I don't mind continuing as if nothing is happening.  Even looking in from the outside, I don't see a waste in helping out.  What goes around, comes around.  No need to burn bridges unnecessarily.  Let's call it an amicable divorce.

Not out the door yet - just one foot out.  I have placed an order and am waiting for arrival.  I'm not sure if that's means that they've cleared me on the credit check, but I would imagine that it's a fully automated process and that if someone fails, they've probably tell you right away on the order screen.  I guess I could still back out by just sending the phone back and eating the sim card cost, but as of now, I'm thinking I might as well just go ahead with it as they've arleady done a credit check.

I'll admit that I have been speaking some negatively about Public Mobile lately, especially about the price increases.  And because I plan on leaving/am in the process of leaving, I've felt more willing to mention Public Mobile's flaws, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't consider coming back in the future.  I may even still help out  a little bit around here even after I've fully transitioned to Koodo.

Update: changed mind and decided to stay with Public Mobile after all

@ShawnC13wrote:

@computergeek541, look at it financially though.  100 credit migration.  $100 Referral credit I can transfer 2 other lines and the one I would get for switching $300 on my line. So even if it is distributed $25 per billing cycle that is 16 months that I would be paying less then I do here.  In 16 months will PM look the same?  My wife transfers even if she jsut gets $200 migration and referral she is only getting $3 reward loyalty and autopay  that $200 covers a lot of months of payments

I fully understand.  Too bad Koodo didn't make this offer to us on prepaid accounts.  That would have been a sure-fire way to rid Public Mobile of Fall Promo customers.  I do worry about pay-per-use charges, especially if my phone is lost/stolen, but the risks can be minimized by requiring Koodo self-serve login to override shock free data limit and by disabling overseas long distance at the account level.  Apparently, Koodo customers also have the option to disable overseas roaming.  Unfortunately, I do not believe Koodo has a way, at the account level, to block American and Carribean long distance, or to block "premium" text messages.

If you do leave, I would imagine that you would at a huge advantage for referals.  t I would imagine that if you did leave to Koodo, you would get your Koodo referal bonus limits in a hurry.  I say that because you an oracle, and that you've clearly helped so many people around here there, that those who jump ship later, might feel in debt to you and send the bonuses your way.  That likley applies to many of the other more-senior community members around who have left/are thinking about leaving.

@computergeek541wrote:

@computergeek541 Maybe that fall 2016 promo was so successful Koodo needs to get back some customers who left? Smiley LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@computergeek541, look at it financially though.  100 credit migration.  $100 Referral credit I can transfer 2 other lines and the one I would get for switching $300 on my line. So even if it is distributed $25 per billing cycle that is 16 months that I would be paying less then I do here.  In 16 months will PM look the same?  My wife transfers even if she jsut gets $200 migration and referral she is only getting $3 reward loyalty and autopay  that $200 covers a lot of months of payments

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13wrote:

@computergeek541, haha they are in the account already just no post about it.  Hey I may have more sitting if I leave.  I am sitting at $44 in rewards right now with a month and ahlf before renewal

That would be really something if a currently sitting oracle left for this offer.  I know that oracles are customers too, but what would make it a little more shocking would be fact that oracles are guaranteed a $10 discount each month for their help around here.   So, you would have more of a discount to lose than most by leaving.

@computergeek541, haha they are in the account already just no post about it.  Hey I may have more sitting if I leave.  I am sitting at $44 in rewards right now with a month and half before renewal

@ShawnC13wrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

@computergeek541 yeah, ditto.  See you on the other side.

How do you guys know this??  February rewards haven't been released lol

They are applied to the accounts....

(I was buying another data add-on this morning - I usually don't pay attention to the rewards until it's time to top up at renewal time...)

Need Help? Let's chat.