cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I am pretty sure we are throttled in everything... Worst is the voice limits

Tomuchwork
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I moved over from Koodo and while I can't really complain as it is saving my some money now. However I feel I can say with utmost certainty we are throttled in some regards. My speeds tests have been slower then usual, but still faster than 3G, so again it is more than usable.

However when it comes to voice calls this is a totally another story. After roughly 2hrs 15-20 min on Public Mobile it ends the call. This reminds me of when I was with Wind briefly and they disconnected your call after 2hrs...

Koodo never EVER disconnected a call on me. And honestly I am blown away that a Telus owned provider has to stoop to this... Almost regretting switching ALMOST... but this is really bad...

42 REPLIES 42

Balanceman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
My day speeds on LTE is typically 40mbs plus. This hasn't changed as of late.

But even if it is tethered, it's not a new concept with telecoms.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Thank you 🙂

@Rockdaddy22 most carriers have some cut off point. It protects against orphan calls that could persist on the service providers system for days.

Essentially, I call you and end the call abruptly (maybe my phone left coverage area etc) because the system did not receive proper signal, it is possible the phone call is then "orphaned" as you disconnect but the actual call is still being kept alive due to a malfunction.

There are a number of technical reasons this happens and as well there are certain scenarios where a call can even be cut off as system is actively trying to prevent the orphan call (it thinks our call is over when it really is not)

Rockdaddy22
?

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
If they did have one, why would that be?

@Rockdaddy22 it is to prevent "orphan calls" on the network

@ryan919 2:27 is such an abnormal total there is no way that is a cutoff.

More likely lost signal or something

Rockdaddy22
I don't think anyone's being negative, just trying to figure out if this call limit is real.

darkdragon88

There is some interesting stuff here. I don't know why people are so negative for this observation. As far as I know we all have "Unlimited Provincial Talk". 

As for data I did a test with my phone and my friend's Telus sim. I only ran it a couple of times but they were about the same. We both had around 11-18 Mbps down in eastern Richmond in BC in our building at work. I don't know if that will help with anything but there you go.

Gee

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

I assume as a discount carrier, they don't want to tax the network.  Priority has be be given to users paying a premium (Telus, then Koodo)

I guess it is okay, but it should be clearly stated or a warning should be given a minute prior to be disconnected.  Personally, I doubt there is a limit.

Rockdaddy22

I'm not going to argue with anyone about the 2hr15, 2hr20m, or 2hr27m disconnections. I haven't tested for myself.

I will however say that if there is a call time limit, it isn't going to fluctuate between those 3 different amounts of time, and a 2hr:27m automaitc disconnection would be an strange amount of time for the system to be set to.  I would think that if there is a limit, it would be set to a round number such as 2 hours exactly, or maybe exactly 200 minutes.  The point is that any per call time limit would kick in at exactly the same time during the call each time.  2 hours and 27 minutes just seems too random of a number to be caused by some automated process. 

Rockdaddy22
They're talking about one single call.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Are we taking about time per call or overall?

Why would someone be one a single call for more than 2 hours? Maybe PM is doing you a favour by cutting it off.

Rockdaddy22
I don't want to bother them at the moment. Eventually I would like this looked into. It's craziness.

ryan919
So I did a test and I did happen to get cut off after 2 hours and 27 minutes. I don't know if it's an one off but the call did end. Did anyone actually pm one of the mods to confirm or deny?

Emshumi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for clarifying!

xxJDxx

How are others finding the data speeds on PM?

I just switched officially yesterday and did a bunch of speed tests the night before on my Rogers service. I was getting 40-50 Mbps down, but only around 1Mbps up on Rogers. So far Public Mobile seems to average 15-20 Mbps down but 4-6 Mbps up.

Rockdaddy22
I don't talk that long so I can't confirm

Tomuchwork

Come one someone, take the plunge and confirm I am not crazy. That there is indeed a rough 140 minute call drop for PM subs. This wasn't the case with Koodo.

Tomuchwork

No I can assure you it was not my phone... it was PM... I have an iPhone 6s and have never had this problem except for on Wind which was a well known 2hr limit...

Seriously someone else has to try this besides me hell just leave your line calling your significant others line while you sleep and charge and when you wake up I would love to know if you made it past 140 minutes.

I really am surprised no one else has ran into this and would even love a comment from the Mods about it.

Twogunpete
@kav2001c, I agree, and if a customer wants, they should be able to talk 'til the cows come home every night, without getting dropped. "Make long talks great again". Haha

@Twogunpete it is far more likely his phone cut out after the 2 hours

Twogunpete
I think it's important that everyone keeps reporting on any instances of time limits on phone call length. I doubt that a major carrier like Public Mobile would risk throttling or time limiting voice calls, based on what would happen to their reputation. If we all keep reporting and stay vocal, it will only help Public Mobile know what their customers are saying and experiencing, with hopes they will strive to improve in order to grow their business. This forum is a great tool for that. Cheers!

@Emshumi wrote:

I think its congestion more than anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong I recall Telus being on a entirely CDMA network.  Rogers had an established GSM network.  There was some order by the CRTC for Rogers to share their GSM network with other providers?  Once this happened Telus was able to support GSM headsets and provide 3G?

Did Telus ever build their own GSM network? Or are they still piggy-backing of Rogers?

@Emshumi Cat Frustrated

What?

In old days Telus had a CDMA network in AB & BC

They signed a roaming agreement with Bell for ON & PQ

CDMA 1xRTT is 3G, EVDO Rev A is 4G

Rogers had to allow Wind (and formerly Mobilicity) to roam on their networks

To this day Telus (and Public) do NOT support GSM

You must use an HSPA or LTE capable handset

Lumute

I do agree they should not do this without properly notifying people they are doing it, specially for new customers this is not a nice surprise.

That said, if they really have to do this 2h 15m seems like a reasonable number, most of the people will have a call this long once a year...

Tomuchwork

Again I am sure they are throttling data speed but still fast enough that you can stream netflix flawlessly so who cares. As I meant to get out there with this threat, it is the 2hr and xx minute time limit on calls that I find unbeleivable.

Wind had a two hour call limit and then you got disconnceted, PM seems offer an additional 15-20 min before the cut off.

Some people in this thread were laughing who needs to talk for over 2 hours...

A lot of people actually. Wether for work, romantic, friend, or just gaming because VoIP sucks for latency...

I just want to be able to make a call on a "Big 3" Network and not have to redial 3 times in one night...

If they are indeed throttling on the data, its not a good service.  

srlawren

@Emshumi Telus does not operate a GSM network and does not piggy back on Rogers at all.  They built out their own 3G UMTS/HDPA/WCDMA (quite different than the older 2G CDMA) network in the west, while Bell did the same thing in the east, and the two share networks.  The legacy CDMA network is actually still running (ugh!) but is being shut down I believe very very soon (early 2017?). At that point hopefully Telus can re-use some of that spectrum to add more capacity to their UMTS and LTE networks!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
Keep us updated on this 2 hour thing. I feel it's definitely unacceptable. Have you heard of this on any other carrier?

Tomuchwork

Umm yes it is, I had a call I was on drop twice both times around the the 2hr and 15-20 min mark... it definatey is true and happens and is really crummy

Need Help? Let's chat.