cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart watch with sim

Nikita
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey. Trying to buy a smart watch with sim so DD can call me if ever she needed to.   Unfortunately I'm realizing that is not as easy.  The watch uses data for fake  voice text in a messenger type app and  voice plan for phone calls.   Anybody ever was able to reprogram watches to make it so that it uses real voice text?

2nd question.  I'm sketchy about gps location. It needs data to send info.  l want to not have data.  Any way to get the 15$ plan but remove the data or render it impossible to be used.  For safety ( hackers) reasons i do not want geolocation.  

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

moonmack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, I got the pendant from liltracker.  I did get the feeling they were rebranding something they got in from elsewhere.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the one you’re looking at.  The first pendant I got didn’t work, so they replaced it with another one.  They covered the shipping and the replacement cost.  The first one didn’t respond at all to text messages.  I wanted something I could use my own nanoSIM since a lot of the other trackers seem to use their own service with their own monthly fee.  I also wanted one that doesn’t rely on 2G since that service seems to be shutting down in Canada, and the Roger’s network is rather weak where I live.

The pendant works well enough for my purposes.  The tracking is okay when using GPS and wildly off otherwise.  I think it’s picking up on wifi information but it will be 20km off.  Fortunately, you can see which are wifi and which are GPS.  I don’t think you’ll have that concern since you don’t want to use the tracking feature.

I find the charging a little difficult.  In theory you just use the magnetic attachment but I find it hard to know if it’s charging.  Maybe a watch will have visual feedback.  I ended up shutting off the tracker to charge at night and that seems to work.  I seems to be able to last for almost 30 hours, so it needs to be charged every night.

Nikita

I did not think it would get picked up by answering machine and never call the other numbers. I do like that this watch will also send an sms when sos button is pressed to all three numbers it will call.  So an sms and a call.   

I like using priority numbers on my cell. So i star very select numbers that they can call me at midnight and ill anser.  Theb i place my phone on priority mode. Only starred contacts can contact me. My stars are only for husband and kids, their schools and that's it.   Not even my job.   So that is a good way maybe.  When i recieved it ill come here and give News.  Did you get the pendants from liltracker.  I'm starting to feel more and more that its wonlex.     

moonmack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the 4G pendant and it was actually a bit hard to set the APN to use data with Public Mobile.  It is set with text messaging so I’m guessing you can set the APN incorrectly and the watch shouldn’t use data.  

One problem might be to set the allowable phone numbers.  The pendant will only call three numbers, and only the first will be called if it answers (this is a problem is there’s an answering service on the first so the second number will never be called).  I set the allowable phone numbers using the app, but maybe there’s a way to set the number on the phone interface or via text messages.  I suppose you could always set the APN, then set the numbers, then “unset” the APN.

I ended up setting the first number to call to a VOIP service and then I can forward to any number I like, or call multiple numbers.

Anyways, good luck with the watch.  We didn’t want our child to have a screen to play with so we got the pendant, but it’s a bit hard to secure.  In the winter we zipped it into a jacket, but I’m concerned it will fall out of the pocket of shorts.  When wearing jeans we can loop the pendant through a belt loop and then into a pocket.

Just a suggestion ... when there’s a free minutes or data deal add it to the SIM even though you don’t need the data.  If you ever end up using the SIM in a phone you’ll end up having lots of minutes and data 🙂 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Nikita 

Here's a couple of other threads that discuss the use of smart watches with public mobile that you may find helpful.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Automatic-APN-settings-on-kids-watch/...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Smartwatches/m-p/632846

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/GPS-phone-for-a-child-cannot-connect-...

If you don't want your child to have access to data you could just remove the sim card from the watch when the plan renews and use the data up by placing the sim in your phone and listen to some youtube music or watch a video....once used just put the sim back in the phone. Public mobile does not have the ability to apply a data block.

Nikita

After a lot of research i found something.  Those phones all work via sms command to the phone number.   So i could basically use sms commands instead of a app to configure phone.  And change the password so no tom  and Harry can just type the factory set same password.   

Yes i know there is remote mic. I will never ever use it.  Geolocation neither.  It's the only way i could let her use a phone in an emergency.  I thought of a flip at 30 bucks but the problem is she won't always have it with her.  As most 10 yo they don't always carry a bag and you lose things from pockets. The idea of a watch is perfect.  

Now i also made more research. I'm more and more starting to believe that liltracker is buying wonlex watches.  I went to wonlex and read and compared. They have many many many types. But the ks15 is identical to the max. Even the same 10 screen displays.  For 80 dollars.  Going to return liltracker at 179 and get wonlex.    80 is the amount they sell to not none partners.  Imagine how much he pays it.  Maybe 40 and resells at 179. I mean at 100, 125 i would of said nothing.   Plus he made it sound as if he makes the watch on one email when i was asking him questions.   How is the specs, features, size, colors, battery life so identical.  I have searched for a watch and there are thousands of different screen interface. How does his watch her the same exact 10 face, same battery to a t, same charger, same everything. Even weight!!

Also when i asked if batteries can be changed after warranty it seemed the hardest question ever. What's the problem.  Can you fix your watches or not.  Problem is, of you don't make them, can't fix them. Wonlex gives 12 month warranty if you are a seller.  That's why he is hesitating. Glad i researched more. 

@Nikita wrote:

2nd question.  I'm sketchy about gps location. It needs data to send info.  l want to not have data.  Any way to get the 15$ plan but remove the data or render it impossible to be used.  For safety ( hackers) reasons i do not want geolocation.  

GPS itself does not use data.  Also, disabling data does not prevent a phone from locking onto GPS satelites. Disabling data does, however, prevent those GPS co-ordinates from being transmitted to someone else via the internet. 

Unfortunately, data cannot be removed from the plan. You can disable it from yoru device's settings menu.  

As for the interal GPS antenna of the device, that can be diabled, but that still does not prevent law enforcement or the wireless carrier from being able to get a approximate location of where you are based on the cell phone towers in your area. 

If you don't want any possibility of anyone knowing where you are, the only real option is to not use a cellular device.

@Nikita I think you're fine.. that watch doesn't have internet browsing capabilities. it's a GPS tracker. the only way they will have internet is if they found a way to use the watch as a hotspot

*nevermind it has app support... not sure if they will be able to use apps to gain access to the internet???

no offense, but that watch is horrible...

• Remote Monitoring: High-sensitivity mic lets you listen in to children’s surroundings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

While of course breakable...you can put in parental controls on phones. Also, I'll bet a fellow customer here would be willing to hand over a retired phone.

For talk/text here you will need a device having 3G.

Edit: I looked at the specs and it does do 3G. But it seems it also uses data.

Nikita

So the watch is from liltracker. Its the max lt1600. 🙂 I need it because i refuse to buy a cell phone for my daughter who will have access to internet and wifi.  But we need calling capabilities as there are almost no more phone booth anywhere!  And with covid nobody wants to lend her a phone.  She is 10 yo.

I cant post links for some reason but go to liltracker and look at 4g watches 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I'd like to know the make and model too. I've been eyeing one from some Chinese thing called Rogbid. It's pretty much a cell phone on the wrist. I would really think they would have the capability to turn off data and gps. If they come out with one that has an SD card slot then I just might try it.

The other ones that I looked at only act as an accessory to your main plan.

@Nikita 

what's the make and model of the device?

there should be settings to disable the data. look in the instruction manual

@Nikita  I dont' think you can refuse the gift that PM offers you .. (hahahaha) 

Even $15 plan comes with data (this is a weird one.. free data even without Autopay setup)

I think your watch should have way to turn off Data.  what kind of watch is that?

Nikita

No. I really want her to call me.   I do not want the data of planbut all Pm plans come with data if you auto pay.  So i want the pm sim card for calling 🙂 nothing else. But her watch is capable of geolocation and it uses data for that.   It also uses data for sending fake voice text msg.  I don't mind that.    

So basically i just want to know if there is a way of refusing data.  Our maybe as i program the watch itoggle data off

Your other answer was perfect

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Nikita   I have not setup smartwatch with SIM myself too.  But what is the issue if you put a PM SIM into the smartwatch?  of you do not want to use the PM SIM for the watch?

I have couple no SIM watches.  All I do was to bluetooth them.  Is this a setup you want to do?

I do not know much about smart watches or associated technology and software. Could only recommend trying searching for options online or consult with an Apple Store.

Hopefully my other reply was somewhat helpful on the mobile data.

Nikita

This is a sim watch not e-sim 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Nikita 

I don't know much about SmartWatches however I do believe they utilize esim which is not available to public mobile.

As far as ensuring no data is used - I would select the $15 plan and then making sure mobile data is toggled off   AND  also that the selection for utilizing data when in a weak Wi-Fi area (called Wi-Fi assist in iPhone) is also toggled off. 

Need Help? Let's chat.