cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card

CR3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an account but when I tried to use my sim in a new phone it said I had a locked network sim.  Puv- locked. When i put it back to the original phone it said the same.

I was told to get a new sim but it won't allow me to sign up with my info. My plan is still valid. Help please!!!

11 REPLIES 11

wbrockerville
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Your sim card is fine.  You have to contact the company of your phone (Bell, Telus, etc) and ask them to walk you through unlocking it so it can be used with other providers.

ooops too late

Best wishes, Carol in Nova Scotia 😃

Thanks for the update, Carol from Nova Scotia!!!

I love Nova Scotia - beautiful place, and safe from all sorts of things happening...

CR3

Thanks everyone. I kept losing my wifi connection so went through with the new sim card as stated above because even though y'all responded like lightning, I didn't see them.

I'll check with my friend about unlocking the phone.  I'll also follow up with the instructions for the chat box re the pub locked message on my phone.   Never thought about powering off and on.  I'll never forgive my child for moving out and leaving me alone to deal with this stuff.   Many thanks, stay well and stay safe. Love from Carol in Nova Scotia. 💙

@CR3 

Did you proceed with the Change SIM function?   If you DID change the SIM#, and your services are now working on the new phone, then you're done.

If you DIDN'T, I recommend you wait for Moderator assistance with the existing SIM card.  Otherwise, you're out of the cost of the SIM.  (if you're fine with that, that's ok too)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@CR3 wrote:

Ok.  I signed into my account just now and found where to change my sim card, and it worked easy peasy. (Hopefully, I'm still on wifi, we'll see what happens when I switch to data, wish me luck!)

I don't understand why I got locked out of the two phones though....

I know this phone works but the screen is pretty cracked and want to switch to the other phone but don't dare without knowing what occurred.  Unless maybe that phone phone wasn't unlocked by the carrier and that was the problem?   But why did it not work when I put it back in this phone? 😭

Hi @CR3 , I don't think you need to Change you SIM number on your SELF SERVE, unless you have a SIM card issue.

Aren't you just changing phones?

CR3

Ok.  I signed into my account just now and found where to change my sim card, and it worked easy peasy. (Hopefully, I'm still on wifi, we'll see what happens when I switch to data, wish me luck!)

I don't understand why I got locked out of the two phones though....

I know this phone works but the screen is pretty cracked and want to switch to the other phone but don't dare without knowing what occurred.  Unless maybe that phone phone wasn't unlocked by the carrier and that was the problem?   But why did it not work when I put it back in this phone? 😭

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@CR3 wrote:

I have an account but when I tried to use my sim in a new phone it said I had a locked network sim.  Puv- locked. When i put it back to the original phone it said the same.

I was told to get a new sim but it won't allow me to sign up with my info. My plan is still valid. Help please!!!

Since you say "plan is still valid", I am guessing your status on your SELF SERVE says ACTIVE and you have had services, until your tried it on this new phone?

When you put the SIM back in your original phone, try rebooting with the SIM in it.

Also you can try going into airplane mode for a couple minutes, then back to regular mode.

As for SIM in the new phone, it sounds like that phone is locked to its previous provider. Can you contact them to unlock it for you?

You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Please do this, @CR3 :

Click here and type the exact message you're device is reporting.

Follow the precise instructions on the Public Mobile chatbot which will appropriately direct the error message to Public Mobile moderators by created the correct ticket for them to investigate.

EDIT:  Do not go through a new account activation process with a new SIM (as you'll lose whatever referral or loyalty rewards you may have earned on the old SIM/account).   

softech
Oracle
Oracle

what kind of new phone is that?   It sounds like this phone was locked to another carrier..   Where did you get this new phone from?  or if this new phone was successfully used in another provider?

@CR3 wrote:

Are you a new customer? Has the Public Mobile service ever worked on that phone?

What's the exact message? A message about a network lock means that the phone is locked to another carrier. 

As for the SIM card PIN, that's always 1234 on a new SIM card.

Need Help? Let's chat.