cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I port At activation or after?

GusP
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there. I am new to Public Mobile and I was reading a few old posts stating that you should port after activation. Should I ? or should I port during activation? 

23 REPLIES 23

@mimmo 

i have been combkng through some old threads. I have a photogrphic memory so as soon as I saw you post I recalled I had seen you talk about this before. 

GusP

Thanks guys. Ill port at activation maybe on Friday. If there is a problem i have the whole weekend. Problems seem pretty rare so it dosent matter. In terms of likeing the service or not I have a friend on Public and he says its amazing so I'm using his referral.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous I just saw that.   I guess it was different  times back then.  I will do the honorable thing and remove the solution. 🙂

I'm sure that's not necessary. It looks like you had barely been here at the time. Newb and all that. 🙂

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous I just saw that.   I guess it was different  times back then.  I will do the honorable thing and remove the solution. 🙂

@Naepalm  thanks for the link,  not sure how you came across such an old thread,  my friend never did join PM bc he wanted visual voicemail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mimmo and the self-solution. 🙂

@mimmo  yeah ill look for it again. 

mimmo

@Naepalm  I did? I don't remember. can you send me the link to the thread?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@GusP just read a post from @mimmo from 2016 asking this exact question about their friend porting over from Bell. Make one wonder if issues have been fixed regarding this or if it is just user error when it doesnt qork properly? 

popping

@Pawprints1986 

Nothing can go wrong with porting as long as your info is correct. If your account has more than one number, take extra care not to port the wrong number.

Applying  woodwork "measure twice and cut once" principal, double check the spelling and submit.

It will take longer if you misspell the account name as your old provider will not release your phone number until your account #, account name and phone # are correct.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I chose to have the staff port my number as keeping my number was really important to me, its the only one ive ever had. I could have probably ported and been fine, but was too nervous to risk something going wrong that would cancel my number from previous carrier, but the port wouldnt go all the way through and id lose it. probably highly unlikely but i didnt want to take the chances 😊

@GusP wrote:

@computergeek541 Ok thanks. I guess its pretty rare for that to happen so I will port in at activation. If this does happen to me do I contact a moderator?

I just ported two numbers over this month at activation and they both worked fine, I ported over from BELL.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@GusP  The only reason to pick a temp number is to make sure the system doesn't lock you out during activation. If that happens and your account is in limbo it makes things more complicated because you don't have a selfserve account.

Another reason is by picking the temp number you can test the network to make sure your happy with the service before porting in your number.

Lastly if you're porting from Koodo prepaid you need to submit a ticket to get it done.

GusP

Thanks for all your replies!

popping

@GusP wrote:

Hello there. I am new to Public Mobile and I was reading a few old posts stating that you should port after activation. Should I ? or should I port during activation? 

For me, I like to get a temporary number to test any new service before porting.  If I don't like the service, it will save me the trouble of port to the new service and back to my old service.

Please note that PM is prepaid service.  There in no refund if you do not like the service.  There is no change your mind within 14 days like the postpaid service.

@GusP wrote:

@computergeek541 Ok thanks. I guess its pretty rare for that to happen so I will port in at activation. If this does happen to me do I contact a moderator?

So if you port at activation and something goes wrong you would then contact a moderator for assistance.

@GusP wrote:

Yes.  You wouldn't have a choice.

GusP

@GusP wrote:

@JoyLuck If it port during activation is there a higher chance for something to go wrong? I dont get it. Could my SIM be a broken SIM

You can always port after activation. Have a moderator port your old number over. After activation do the following:

To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

@GusP wrote:

Occassionally when a customer tries to activate, the account gets created by the service doesn't start working. If that happens when you port in during activation, you would be left without use of your phone number becasue the number would get transfered over to a Public Mobile service that isn't working. That's the main reason to port in at a later time.  However, Public Mobile states that improvements have been made to the system to help minimize the amount of instances of that.

GusP

@JoyLuck If it port during activation is there a higher chance for something to go wrong? I dont get it. Could my SIM be a broken SIM

@GusP currently, if you aren't with Koodo prepaid, port on activation.  

Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if required:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Note your account must be active to port. Welcome to PM. Stay safe. 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@GusP wrote: 

Have a look at this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

We recommend to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
  • All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 
Need Help? Let's chat.