cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a new account for my son & getting a new sim card for my new phone.

Ceri
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone, I have two questions:

1). I have a new phone (which is on the ok to use list), but my old one is almost 6 years old & has what I assume to be an incompatible SIM card (it's not a 3-piece SIM card, it's just 1 big one).  So I assume that I need a new SIM card for my new phone?

2).I purchased a 2nd identical phone for my son.  I went to set up an account for him, but it wants a phone number first before I can sign him up. I thought that I needed an account to purchase a SIM card. So, do I buy the SIM card, activate it to get the phone number & then sign him up for a plan?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

azeemhaq
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If your sim card doesnt have the multiple sim size cutouts, then you have two options, grab another sim or smaller size, i.e. micro or nano, and use that as template size to cutout your sim manually yourself OR simply purchase a new sim with Micro or nano size.

After you have the correct sim size either new or the cutout one, use activation page for sim activation, select the plan, select the mobile number and then setup serfserve account as well.

Thanks

@geopublic 

Nice post! Tagged and saved!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ceri wrote:

Hi everyone, I have two questions:

1). I have a new phone (which is on the ok to use list), but my old one is almost 6 years old & has what I assume to be an incompatible SIM card (it's not a 3-piece SIM card, it's just 1 big one).  So I assume that I need a new SIM card for my new phone?

@Ceri  Double check the sim card to see if you can punch it out.

tp.png

If you can't you can cut the sim card yourself using a cutting template. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

https://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/52412/how-do-i-cut-my-own-micro-and-nano-sim-cards/#:~:text=%20%20%2...

If it doesn't work then you can purchase a new PM sim and use the change sim card option via selfserve.

cs.png

2).I purchased a 2nd identical phone for my son.  I went to set up an account for him, but it wants a phone number first before I can sign him up. I thought that I needed an account to purchase a SIM card. So, do I buy the SIM card, activate it to get the phone number & then sign him up for a plan?

Thank you!

@Ceri  Yes, first purchase the sim then go to the Public Mobile activation page and activate the sim card, choose a plan and select a phone number and setup the selfserve account at the same time. Don't forget to use your referral code to get the one time $10 off credit and your referral reward.

@Ceri 

All good advice given......CCS is located in toronto with a pick up location in mississauga and another retail location in oakville. I would purchase a few sim cards at that price as it never hurts to have a couple of extras lying around. It has taken 5 business days to recieve sim cards via canada post from CCS to Vancouver.

If you already have a eplacement sim card for yours then give @BearFBI suggestion a try.... worse case scenario you crack the sim youve got a replacement on hand. Best case you save purchasing one for your son.

@Ceri Canadian cell supplies https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/latest-products/products/public-sim-card currently their sims are $2.99 each. They average around a week to come. Stay safe.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ceri You could also try cutting the SIM to size. Ive done that before in the past with my other SIM cards. Just get another SIM or print a template to cut it out. Be careful though it could break.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Ceri 

• hi yes you need a new sim unless you can punch it down to the smaller one. if there are cutouts you should be able to
  • you don't need to enter a number since he doesn't have one yet. 
  • don't create a self serve account you need to click on "activate" in the website menu
Need Help? Let's chat.