cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service on TTC

iamfernandan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can anyone tell me is PM has available service while riding the TTC (underground)? I am a new member and I am still getting used to the carrier services and plans.

10 REPLIES 10

@BKNS27 wrote:

@iamfernandan 

If you are a Shaw/Freedom mobile customer, you can connect for free wifi on ShawGo wifi.

Shaw doesn't offer service is Toronto. However, since Freedom Moble's network is available in the TTC subway system, Wi-Fi signal wouldn't be required.  While Wi-Fi would be helpful for those who don't have data plans or have only a little remaining, I would consdier using an open/public network to be a security concern.

@iamfernandan 

If you are a Shaw/Freedom mobile customer, you can connect for free wifi on ShawGo wifi.

@iamfernandan wrote:

But that would be only on subway platforms, right? Thanks for the info.

WiFi is only available on the platforms, nothing while the train is in the tunnel between stations.  

The irony is that when I'm in my own city I sometimes gotta use stinky mass transit, while when I visit Toronto a decent rental car and any expenses attached to it are all paid for, lol.

People play with their phones and talk on calls constantly at the underground stations. You can't really tell if the quiet ones are connected, they could be reading ebooks or playing offline games or whatever, but the ones who ringtone and notification sound and chat too loudly are clearly getting signal.

@Korth wrote:

TTY is Toronto?

Toronto Transit Commission

The underground segments of "Skytrain" track in Vancouver have no signal.

It seems to affect all passengers. So it probably affects all carriers.

The underground stations have good signal. So Bell or Telus (and probably Rogers) obvious do have some sort of arrangement to install cellular equipment on "BC Transit" property.

Supposedly Telus/Bell has had underground SkyTrain coverage since Feb 2020? And Rogers-Fido in the waterfront-stadium stretch, and Telus & Bell covering the whole Canada line underground stretch since 2016...

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus-bell-wireless-coverage-vancouver-skytrain-tunnels/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/downtown-skytrain-tunnels-finally-get-wireless-service

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth : Yes Virginia, there is a world outside of Toronto. 🙂 Toronto Transit Commission.

TTC is Toronto?

The underground segments of "Skytrain" track in Vancouver have no signal. Some of the long stretches of above-ground track also have signal drop.

It seems to affect all passengers. So it probably affects all carriers.

The underground stations do have good signal. So Bell or Telus (and probably Rogers) obviously have some sort of arrangement to install cellular equipment on "BC Transit" property.

iamfernandan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

But that would be only on subway platforms, right? Thanks for the info.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think it might only be Freedom Mobile: https://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Cellular_Service.jsp

I believe you can connect to WiFi on TTC and browse the web, make VoIP calls, etc, that way.

Need Help? Let's chat.