cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAMMERS Attack!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Got 4 calls (from different local numbers): Canadian Border Agency - we intercepted Canada Post package with suspicious items (or something like that), please do this and that...

Amazing! All calls within few hours. Just for fun called back those numbers (not from my cell); two are most likely legitimate numbers (answering machine), 2 got hanged off after 2-3 rings.

MOST interesting - 5th call was from my land line. My own number. Checked call log - never called myself within 30 days.

What a fun... I am moving to a cave and cancelling all my utilities.

21 REPLIES 21

@HALIMACS wrote:

@will13am wrote:

No point boiling the blood over spam.  It will never go away.  

You know what's funny @will13am  - I don't recall EVER receiving spam on my personal cell phone in recent memory, either via calling or SMS.

I'm not bragging, I just don't understand why that might be when so many users seem to experience this routinely.

I wonder what I'm doing 'right'?   Heck if I know...

Sheer luck I guess.  These robo callers don't care who owns the number.  They just random dial.  If someone has answered the number, it gets saved for future calling.  My oldest number is the wireless home phone number which used to be a wired home phone number.  I get the most spam on the number. The previous owner of the number was a business.  In the early days I got a lot of customer calls.  It has been a rough road keeping that number.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

No, it was always a mobile extension. 

To my knowledge there were no landlines in my region with that three digit extension at the time it was assigned.

Yup @softech , all calling features work and used on a daily basis.

I'll likely never allow my number to go dormant.

@HALIMACS   Have you ever looked here. 

@CountyDownIeUk 

No, it was always a mobile extension. 

To my knowledge there were no landlines in my region with that three digit extension at the time it was assigned.

Yup @softech , all calling features work and used on a daily basis.

I'll likely never allow my number to go dormant.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

Mobile number.

Mind you, it was assigned about 20 years ago (originally provided by Bell) - think the longevity has anything to do with it?

Maybe.  Did the number fall in the same xxx-xxx of land line numbers?

My land line is 16 years old from Telus as a landline #, then ported to voip, then to PM. That number so far while on PM for a couple of months, has had no spam. I sometimes think “they” prefer to call mobile numbers only. Some seem to think a mobile phone will be more than likely answered vs a land line?

@HALIMACS wrote:

@will13am wrote:

You know what's funny @will13am  - I don't recall EVER receiving spam on my personal cell phone in recent memory, either via calling or SMS.

you sure your phone can receive incoming calls or text at all?  LoL

@CountyDownIeUk 

Mobile number.

Mind you, it was assigned about 20 years ago (originally provided by Bell) - think the longevity has anything to do with it?

@HALIMACS wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I'm not bragging, I just don't understand why that might be when so many users seem to experience this routinely.

Is your number a mobile number or a ported over landline number?

@will13am wrote:

You can control these calls by setting your DND to not accept calls from numbers that are not in your contacts list. But I imagine you could still get a voicemail...same as blocking. 

It is easy to set up a voip account using ANY legit number for caller ID. They, (mostly from India, in India), try local numbers to you to make you feel more confident to answer. SO IT WON’T STOP. We, a few weeks ago, had a number of CBSA calls....some 5 minutes apart. I answered a few...and had some fun....have not had any for awhile now. 

Once again, YOU can do a lot to prevent them yourself. 

@Meow 

The one version I've experienced (while trying to let people know that their stuff is ready, so a legitimate call from a local business) is that the caller is prompted by the automated system to press a (random) number. "This number has call control enabled. To connnect to this customer please press 7." (Paraphrasing here.) The call will only connect if the number matches the prompt.

I assume that it's not entirely fool proof, but, for now, weeds out robocalls and autodialers.

@WoozyPolarBear    it's next year, that's why Tier 3 PM does not have it yet, 

can you provide the CRTC link? 

How is this Call control suppose to work? They compare 'real' number calling with number to be shown on call display and then reject call or something else?

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hTideGnow wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear   as you know, PM is Tier 3, many features offered in Telus, and Koodo, are not being offered here.  VoLTE, Wifi Calling, Live Support, the list is long

for CRTC, I think you meant Caller ID Spoofing, not Call Control

No, the CRTC has mandated that carriers implement a form of white listing spam call controls. I looked it up after my first message. It was supposed to be in place on Sept. 1, 2021, but the CRTC has given the carriers an extension of until June 1, 2022 to put it in place. So come next summer, TELUS will be mandated by law to bring that feature to PM...3rd tier carrier or not.

@WoozyPolarBear   as you know, PM is Tier 3, many features offered in Telus, and Koodo, are not being offered here.  VoLTE, Wifi Calling, Live Support, the list is long

for CRTC, I think you meant Caller ID Spoofing, not Call Control

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

I'm not sure why Public Mobile doesn't offer the same Call Control feature that TELUS has. That feature works really well, and I honestly haven't had a single spam call ring my cell in over a year since I turned it on. Since Public Mobile is a TELUS company, I find it odd they don't have it here as well. In fact, I thought the CRTC passed a law requiring all mobile providers to implement some sort of Call Control feature. Maybe that law isn't in effect yet.

@will13am wrote:

Oh, I am not...

I just regret my phone is in airplane mode most of the time and I have no opportunity to practice my newly invented English cursing words as calls go into my vmail.

what is the chance of caller ID spoofing from a number you  know...and in this case your OWN!!!

so, I guess what CRTC asked cell providers to do  is not successful.. you are still getting this type of calls

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

Got 4 calls (from different local numbers): Canadian Border Agency - we intercepted Canada Post package with suspicious items (or something like that), please do this and that...

Amazing! All calls within few hours. Just for fun called back those numbers (not from my cell); two are most likely legitimate numbers (answering machine), 2 got hanged off after 2-3 rings.

MOST interesting - 5th call was from my land line. My own number. Checked call log - never called myself within 30 days.

What a fun... I am moving to a cave and cancelling all my utilities.

@Meow     Lol...yeah, the spoofing of one's own number is always fun to see!   Unfortunately, no Call Control (for spammers) for lowly PM users, only Telus and Koodo postpaid get that option and @srlawren has confirmed that it works exceedlngly well...alas not yet available to PM users.... 😊

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Getting-weird-calls-from-quot-V-qu...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow 

be careful don't give them any information,
and ignore and delete and block if showing number..and never called back..

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That calls for another request to the big brothers (Telus and Koodo) to lend PM that cool feature called "call control"

It does make a difference.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.