cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS from public "For unresolved complaints about your wireless service you can contact the ccts"

uymai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got an sms from 5129, saying:

"Public Mobile here. For unresolved complaints about your wireless service, you can contact the CCTS at www.ccts-cprst.ca or 1-888-221-1687."

seems weird and out of the blue -- did they send it to everyone?

37 REPLIES 37

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@zhadj030 wrote:

@Mary_M wrote:

@ShawnC13 the offer is open to Legacy Plan customers.

The CCTS text is not attached to the Koodo switch. Here's what happens: the CCTS is sent via a Public Mobile short code. Once someone replies "more" to that specific short code, they receive more info on the Koodo switch, or whatever offer we have at the moment.

I hope that I was able to bring some clarity on the matter,

Mary

This makes total sense . After I sent more I got the koodo offer but today I received an other text.

Screenshot_20170329-105558.png

Got the same. Lol Public Mobile...

@Mary_M wrote:

The CCTS text is not attached to the Koodo switch. Here's what happens: the CCTS is sent via a Public Mobile short code. Once someone replies "more" to that specific short code, they receive more info on the Koodo switch, or whatever offer we have at the moment.

Mary

This makes total sense . After I sent more I got the koodo offer but today I received an other text.

Screenshot_20170329-105558.png

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Cardinal

Thanks Mary for the update much appreciated.

Darquin

I received the same message today, so certainly not simultaneous to all.

@Mary_M, I understand now that it is mandated but why is there the Koodo Switch offer attached if you ask for "more"?  Is this being offered to all members now instead of just Legacy Plan holders now?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@kav2001c wrote:

I got same txt and honestly was quite worried about it

Long time readers know I had a 4+ month odyssey of problems that generated pages of issues + lots of work by our mod team to resolve

Then it was so broken I required manual intervention so when I got this txt first thing that went through my head was oh no it's broken again 

Just a spam message

Breathe

lol

Agreed, a complete spam message.  I realize that it's only once every 3 months (4 times a year), but why does CCTS to force the carrier to sending advertising about the orginzation?  If it was just a one time-message sent immediately when a customer signs up for cell service, my opinion would be more forgiving.  Sending that same message to all customers at regular intervals, while it may just be minor, is still an annoyance.  Google/Android Messenger:  5219, another number to block all text messages from as far as I'm concerned. 

WearySky

I got one, and also no contentious issues with me here.  I've been very happy with my service.

I got same txt and honestly was quite worried about it

Long time readers know I had a 4+ month odyssey of problems that generated pages of issues + lots of work by our mod team to resolve

Then it was so broken I required manual intervention so when I got this txt first thing that went through my head was oh no it's broken again 

Just a spam message

Breathe

lol

ute1978

Haha, funny. I also got the mesasge and replied "MORE" just out of curiosity and got the Kodoo switch ad.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello all,

Thank you for raising concern with us!

The CCTS(Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services) mandates that all telecommunication companies must send a notification to their base 4x/year notifying them of how they can submit unresolved complaints about their service provider.

Starting March 22nd we began sending SMS notifications to the Public base and this is nothing to be alarmed about.

I hope this helps,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

uymai

@SDO8 wrote:

@rpolyano wrote:

I got this message as well. Out of curiosity I replied to it. It said it could not understand my response, and  prompted me to text "MORE". I sent that, and what I got back was....an ad for Koodo?!  The exact text was:

Spoiler
Switch to Koodo on the exact same plan you're on right now and we'll pay the cost of your rate plan for 1 month plus you may qualify for a new $0 phone on the Koodo Tab! Offer valid for  only.  Visit your nearest Koodo store or dealer to redeem.  Offer not available at Walmart, Best Buy and other retail partners. Show this message and use promo code CHOOSEHAPPY to redeem the offer. 2 pieces of ID required.  Offer cannot be combined with any other monthly bill discount. HURRY - offer ends April 30, 2017!  Conditions apply.

First they want us to report them, then they want us to switch?! What's going on Public? Tired of providing phone service? Smiley LOL

@rpolyano

Ah, so it might be Koodo behind this actually, trying to get people to switch. Tricky buggers. Thanks for checking that out and sharing with us.

I received the same SMS from 5129 at 14:00 today. I've not had any service or billing issues, so no complaints here.

i think its more likely that public and koodo share the same sms sender thingies, and if you send a message to it, it has a default message trying to get you on their service (my message didn't prompt to say "more" originally)

@SDO8 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@rpolyano wrote:

I got this message as well. Out of curiosity I replied to it. It said it could not understand my response, and  prompted me to text "MORE". I sent that, and what I got back was....an ad for Koodo?!  The exact text was:

Spoiler
Switch to Koodo on the exact same plan you're on right now and we'll pay the cost of your rate plan for 1 month plus you may qualify for a new $0 phone on the Koodo Tab! Offer valid for  only.  Visit your nearest Koodo store or dealer to redeem.  Offer not available at Walmart, Best Buy and other retail partners. Show this message and use promo code CHOOSEHAPPY to redeem the offer. 2 pieces of ID required.  Offer cannot be combined with any other monthly bill discount. HURRY - offer ends April 30, 2017!  Conditions apply.

First they want us to report them, then they want us to switch?! What's going on Public? Tired of providing phone service? Smiley LOL

I got the same outcome.  So Koodo will give me a $38 per month plan with all the same usage and rewards?

@will13am

Somehow, I doubt that.  More likely they'll just match the face value of your plan (i.e. $40/4GB) and then nickel and dime you on everything else.

Nah, I don't think Koodo (Telus) is like that.  The grandfathering should be as good as Public Mobile.  As a flanker brand, Koodo has much stronger roots than Public Mobile.  I still worry a bit about Public Mobile's survival.  Telus could decide on a whim that a single flanker brand is enough, particularly if Shaw messes up big time with their handling of Freedom Mobile. 

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

i got that this afternoon, i got excited when i got a text message, only to see that it was that 

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rpolyano Absolutely PC was complying.  I was on a prepaid plan as well.  I thought it might be mandatory but didn't know for sure.

I think it is just a little weird that the "switch" was jsut offered to Legacy Plan holders now the offer to get the same plan is going out to everyone it seems like.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

This is really funny. We should do this just to see how the reps will react.
I am happy so far with PM and it has been a smooth ride so far

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@rpolyano wrote:

Spoiler

I got the same outcome.  So Koodo will give me a $38 per month plan with all the same usage and rewards?

@will13am

Somehow, I doubt that.  More likely they'll just match the face value of your plan (i.e. $40/4GB) and then nickel and dime you on everything else.

@rpolyano wrote:

Spoiler

rpolyano
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Alright all, so here's at least part of the answer: the original message is sent because they legally have to as members of the CCTS. See here: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/documents/public-awareness

Point number 3.f states:

Spoiler
Participating service providers will deliver a similar message to their customers that do not receive bills, such as pre-paid wireless customers. In the case of pre-paid wireless customers, the service provider will also deliver a message to active customers at least four times per year, to inform those customers about CCTS[2]. The message may take the form of a text message to the customer

And the suggested wording is almost exactly what we've got:

Spoiler

The suggested wording of this message is:

“Free message from [name of provider]. Unresolved complaint about your telecom services? CCTS may be able to help. 1-888-221-1687 or www.ccts-cprst.ca.”

I'll bet PC was was complying with the same regulations when messaging @shartomjam

As for the Koodo response, my previous conjecture still stands - probably just a common relay Telus uses for everything.
Hope this clears things up a bit!

rpolyano

@ShawnC13 I doubt there is anything so sinister going on here. Perhaps Telus simply uses the same broadcast system when sending out external communications to customers of other providers (for whatever reasons and with whatever content, be it spam or not), and so automatically advertises Koodo when engaged with, regardless of whether the person is already a Telus (or subsidiary) customer.

But I am shooting in the dark here I don't actually know how these things work.

I got this message as well.  I was wondering if this was a Koodo thing.  @Shazia_K  do you guys know anything about this.  Spamming a message like this and then saying to switch to Koodo I don't find cool.  Very poor for this to happen.  Is Telus trying to get a bad name out for PM and get everyone to go to Koodo?

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rpolyano wrote:

Spoiler

@rpolyano

Ah, so it might be Koodo behind this actually, trying to get people to switch. Tricky buggers. Thanks for checking that out and sharing with us.

I received the same SMS from 5129 at 14:00 today. I've not had any service or billing issues, so no complaints here.

rpolyano

Spoiler

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

When I was with PC Mobile, I got this type of text a few times a year I think.  I didn't get one from Public Mobile yet.

Cardinal

I also recieved this message

Chaos_Scorpio

Probably just a mass global message. 

I got mine on friday and just ignored it. PM sends random global messages from time to time. Great serivce from me, no issues. 

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
I was about to post about the same thing.
Received it an hour ago. I haven't done any complaints so that was weird.
For a second I thought it was because I am always complaining about our Oracles in here being too good.

Myself and a couple co-workers got our copies on Friday late afternoon.

I'm the only one who had any issues, and they've all been resolved in this small group of people.

Tes, was funny when we got it, as I was talking about PM with someone at the very moment it came in.

TheOldVR

@CaNuCk07... not here...

My challenges were back when the promo was on but Mary and Shazia eventually saw my winging and complaining so they stepped in and got me sorted out Smiley Very Happy.

Yay MODs!

Need Help? Let's chat.