cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS/ Text messaging not working after porting/transferring over phone number from Virgin mobile

JB_8992
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Was able to get phone calls receiving and making, as well as data working after resetting the network in settings and restarting the phone. But SMS still does not work, I cannot send or receive, it says it was sent but no one gets anything and I cannot get anything from them.

It's a pixel 6a, in the message settings it says that the status is "setting up" still under RCS chats if that means anything important. 

Screenshot_20240407-173942.png

10 REPLIES 10

TwitchyPuppy

I noticed that too and yeah, a fix would be great! I can't wait to start using my work line 😅

JB_8992

Awesome hopefully they'll get to me soon, I sent in a ticket yesterday afternoon. I am sure they have a whole list to go through.

Dbomp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Mine is working now! A service rep on here "reset my network" after confirming the port of my number was fine. He then instructed me to turn my phone off for 2 minutes.. and when i turned it back on it worked! About 30 mins later RCS chats started working too.

JB_8992

I have a Pixel phone so it does have RCS

David1090

You’re making the assumption it’s RCS when it’s not. RCS doesn’t apply to Apple. 

David1090

I’m having the same problem. It’s been 3 days. I’m having big regrets switching to PM. I may have to switch back. This doesn’t looking like a good business model for Telus, if it doesn’t get fixed Telus home services will be gone. 

JB_8992

Well good to know I am not the only one lol

I tried both of what @will13am suggested and that didn't work as well. I turned off the RCS to just use SMS and that wasn't working as well so it must be SMS related then. I submitted a ticket with support so hopefully they get back to me soon and I can pass on any information I get, if it's something that we can do ourselves.

Dbomp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is the exact same issue I'm having after moving over from Fido yesterday. There are many many posts about this issue over the past few days.. but I haven't seen anyone confirm a fix yet. Can anyone chime in if they found a fix?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JB_8992 , to get around this problem, disable RCS chat, force stop the message app, delete cache, reboot and then reenable RCS chat.  This should resolve the problem.  If deleting app cache does not resolve the issue with being stuck on setting up RCS chat, then uninstall the messages app and reinstall it.  

Don't bother with messaging support.  They really can't do anything about RCS chat issues.  If the problem is with regular SMS, then support might be able to help.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @JB_8992 

not sure if system side issue with text  after activation, many had same problem. Best to have agent to check and report us back 

please submit a ticket with CS Agent using this Chatbot link:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type the question "Submit ticket", Then click the following in order: "Contact Us" ,  "Other",  "Log In".  
If any issue with ticket submission, you can  submit by direct message:  
      https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.