cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card

jrlsee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am just about to sign up with public mobile. Do I activate my SIM card first or do I install the SIM card into the phone first? I tried install the SIM card to the phone, but my phone is saying that it didn’t detec any SIM card. Any help with be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jrlsee just be very careful when breakingout the micro sim.  it has a very thin edge that you do not want to break.  worst case go you any cell store and ask them for a couple old sim cards becasue you want to adapt an nano sim to a micro sim.  i am sure they have a bunch in their trash can

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The nano SIM card is a snug friction fit inside the larger (micro SIM) profile, so there's no harm to re-insert it, and then gently/carefully try punching out the micro SIM.  Might save you $10.

Alternatively, failing this, some of the cell phone stores/kiosks may sell SIM adapter trays... you might be able to get a nano-to-micro SIM card adapter for a buck or two (if you're patient and have time, you can often order these online for a fraction of that).

Good luck!

jp2

My card fits tight enough that you could push the sim back into the card then pop out the correct size. I would recommend keeping the card incase you get a new phone that requires a different size sim you don't need to purchase an new sim or adaptor.

If the chip is damaged you maybe out of luck

jrlsee

If I have already broken the PM SIM card out, is it too late? Should I re-order a new one? or is there a way to undo it?

mimmo

I agree with @jp2  your phone might take the micro sim size and you cut out the nano sim.  you coudl try using a pin to wiggle it out, but be very gentle as you doent want to damage it. 

jp2

When you are breaking the PM sim out of the card it comes in. Any of the 3 sim sizes can be broken out. Make sure you have the correct size for your phone

jrlsee

I am using a Samsung S5. I can't seem to take the SIM card out now. The public mobile SIM card is smaller than the SIM cary slot. So when I put it in, i can't seem to get it out...

mimmo

Not detecting a sim card is strange. Even a non activated one should show up in the phone.  What phone are you using?  Can you try sim in a different phone?

matbasm

@jrlsee,  It really doesn't matter which you do first.  However, the phone/SIM won't work until AFTER the SIM is activated.  Also, since it might be necessary to restart the phone after the SIM is activated, there is not much point installing the SIM first.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Need Help? Let's chat.