cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card Reactivation Not Possible

tennr3580
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why can a PM SIM card not be reactivated after being deactivated? I have had old SIM cards reactivated through other providers. This is a waste of resources.

9 REPLIES 9

@tennr3580 

using the sim in a cellphone, dial 611 to hear your current account standings. If the call doesn't connect...your sim is no good and you need a new one to start a new account. It's possible your account is just Suspended pending payment. If that's the case, you can just renew your old plan or select a new one from the currently available plan menu.

If your old acct has been Suspended for 90 days or more...it's been deactivated and you need to start over again with a new sim or esim.

tennr3580

Good tip!!

hi @tennr3580 I used to against eSIM.  But  now that eSIM is a one time $5 and free replacement, it is not too bad

if you need to order a PM sim, but from Amazon for only $5 and speedy Prime shipping 

tennr3580

Interesting. Maybe it's "expired," then. I was hoping to use the one I have rather than wait for a new SIM card in the mail, pay $5, and waste time, material, resources, etc. I don't really want to do E-SIM. I just think it's a bit silly that the SIM expires. Anyway, it looks like I'll just order another one. Thanks.

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It’s confusing- Two answers on google.

Only previously activated and then deactivated SIM cards can be re-activated.Jun 20, 2024

Once your SIM card expires, you won't be able to reactivate it, and your number may be reassigned.

WHY NOT just get a new sim or an instant E-SIM ?

hi @tennr3580 from what I know, Bell does not allow reactivate old Bell sim with new account.  Only exception is some people deactivated by mistake and they let them reactivate the same account. So, likely an activated sim card is tied up with a particular account number and cannot change 

tennr3580

Yes, of course. I was only asking about reactivating a PM SIM on a new PM plan after deactivating it. I know someone who reactivated an old Bell SIM that was "deactivated" on a new Bell plan in the past, so clearly, it's possible, but PM chooses not to support this.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @tennr3580 

this is not a PM's problem.  All Canadian mobile carriers, in fact at least 90% of world carriers if not all, do not allow physical sim to be reused. I am not sure if it is an technical limitation, but It is normal in this business. 

And for using the PM sim with another carrier, this is a technical limitation for sure.  The sim card has a unique sim number, which different carriers have different number. Like PM has 19 digits, some have 20. And there is 'DNA' embedded into it. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @tennr3580 

Sadly, this is the way PM runs their operation. This of course would save them a TON of money from creating more and would stop these from going into the landfill. Sure, they are super small but how many thousands of SIM cards are in the dump and what effect are they having to the land itself? Oh well.

Need Help? Let's chat.