Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Roger414
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi
I have the 25 dollars plan
I'm 6 month ln Canada and 6 in the US if I add roaming in the winter time will I be able to call US to Canada and Canada to US Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Definitely get a local prepaid option when in the US, going through PM for US roaming would cost a fortune for that amount of time 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Your $25 Plan will work from Canada only. Current $25 Plan does not have US minutes. Only plans 50+ have Canada & US minutes. And that is for calling FROM Canada only.

To call US you have to buy 1000 US Long distance add-on.

To call FROM US you have to buy one of US add-ons valid for 10 days per purchase. It is not worth paying US roaming every 10 days. You will be better to buy lock US SIM to call within US or with options to call US & Canda.

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Roger414  USA roaming plans are only 10days then you have to buy another one. It would get rather expensive if you're in the states for 6 months. 

You should consider downloading TEXTNOW APP. You get another Canadian number in your area that allows you to make free calls to USA and Canada numbers over WiFi (or data) from anywhere in the world. Has caller ID, even voicemail when not online and the other person does not need the app just the number to reach you. 

You can then shop in USA for a monthly prepaid plan. All kinds of them for cheap prices. Some even include Canada calling. 

As for your PM number / account. If you want to keep it active you could lower your bill to the $15 plan and leave the phone in Canada plugged into a charger. Then you can download the MightyText app and set that up. You'll be able to receive your texts and respond in USA by logging into the mightytext website on your phone or laptop/PC.

If you don't want the pay for the 6 months and not loose your number you can do that for cheap to. You can lower your plan to the $15 plan and turn off auto-pay. At next renewal when you're leaving the system won't be able to collect the money and will put your account to suspended. 90 days in this state account is closed and number is gone. So set a reminder around 85 day mark to log in and make a $15 payment to bring the account active again. Then when system tries to collect money at 30 day renewal it won't be able to.. Account will go back to suspended and set another 85 day reminder to make a payment if you're still in USA. 

If it was me. I would go the suspended status route, download TEXTNOW and just give everyone my Textnow number. Change my voicemail to a message with my new number. Then while in USA I'd pick up a prepaid package at Walmart. Plenty of options and providers to choose from.

Need Help? Let's chat.