cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming without a package? Will I get charged?

mangler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just came back from the USA, and was a bit slow putting my phone in airplane mode when I turned it on.

To my horror, the phone connected to the AT&T access point with data, for a few seconds. I did not buy a roaming package, so I thought the phone would behave as it did before (i.e. no netwok access in the US). Is this normal behaviour? Will I get charged for network access for the couple of seconds?

20 REPLIES 20

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Good to know.

hirsh
I can confirm from my recent experience across the border:

1) no charges if you don't pre-purchase a roaming package
2) free incoming texts
3) you don't need to change any device settings

Oh nice., free ride on a roaming network 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mana you will never get charged in the next billing cycle on a pre-paid plan.  It's just completely impossible.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren Sorry, I was only proposing that option as a caution since this can easily be done within most handsets. 

Has anyone tested out being on a different network without add ons and not getting charged in the next billing cycle?

srlawren

@fch precisely as I stated earlier

@Mana there's absolutely no need to do that.  If you don't buy any add-ons, you will receive your text messages (at no charge) and no other services will work (including outbound text messages) and you will be billed absolutely nothing for your time on the AT&T and/or T-Mobile network. There's no reason to lock to PM before leaving Canada.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Hi,

next time you wanna avoid roaming, make sure you lock your phone signal/carrier to PM network only and turn off data roaming under settings. By doing this, it won't switch to other carriers and mobile networks. 

Thanks

fch
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am in the US right now and I have no added US roaming add-on, but I can still connect to either T-Mobile or AT&T network and can receive the text for free.

When attempting to make a call, I get a recording " In order to make call you need to add US roaming add-on".

I also a get similar to Koodo... "Welcome to USA!. You can get a USA roaming add-on by visiting self-serve......"

Rockdaddy22
@Shan please read other replies in this thread.

Rockdaddy22
Prepaid carrier guys, never any surprise charges 🙂

I know it was mentioned above, I just had to say it again.

srlawren

@Shan right, and there's no way to do any of those activities without having previously purchased a US roaming add-on for that particular service.

Shan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I believe unless you answered a text, made a call or actually used data that there should be no fee.

Good luck:)

Subbanator96
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
You won't get charged, it's a prepaid service. You might get service, I've read some people were able to receive incoming texts while roaming without the add-on. But you definitely not be charged, don't worry at all.

mhaider
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You won't get charged, but you will also have NO service until you add an add-on to your plan. So to avoid no service, get the add on but that is the good thing about Public Mobile, you will never get over charges even for data usage (your data will just stop working).

srlawren

@mangler you cannot be charged after the fact for anything at PM, it's entirely pre-paid.  

I believe your phone connected because you actually get incoming text messages for free regardless of purchasing any add-ons.  If you want to reply, you would need a US Roaming texting add-on (or a bundle that includes texting roaming), but for receiving, they just get delivered.

mimmo

Just to echo the above. PM is prepaid, and before the US Addons, if you went into teh USA you woudl have no service (no text, no voice, no data).  so if you do not buy  an addon it should still be the case specifically no service.   

If you didnt pay for it you won't get it 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I am not sure how they would charge you if you haven't purchased an Addon.  PM is a prepaid service so unless you have bought the service they won't be giving it to you.  Maybe you have a golden unicorn and should keep it on the downlow with free roaming!!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hslmdjim

I'm a new PM user but AFAIK PM is a prepaid service meaning stuff you don't pay for will not work. There's no credit check with PM so you have to pay for everything up front. 

i think you'll get charged if you used any data, or sent a text or a phone call. If you didnt then you shouldnt hopefully get charged 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I don't know if it's normal or not as this is new (US Roaming), and I haven't gone to US since it arrived, however, if you didn't buy roaming, there should be no cost applied as you didn't pre pay for it.

Need Help? Let's chat.