cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming didn't work

aidan11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We purchased roaming on March 17, but when we got the States it only worked for a few hours, then stopped working. Desperate, I purchased an e-sim because I needed service. How can I get a credit or a refund, since the service was not there, as promised?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@aidan11 

Thanks for the update. If you don't VoLTE provisioned in your account and/or enabled on your phone your voice calls while Roaming can only access T-Mobile's 2G network. While in the west the 2G network is relatively available in urban areas it is unreliable if even available in rural areas. It is better in the eastern US but Florida does not have good 2G network coverage even in the urban centres.

The 4G LTE network has good coverage with T-Mobile's network coverage at 62% just behind At&t's 68% but in any state with mountainous terrain like Washington state coverage is spotty outside of the major centres. In general US providers are not required to have same network coverage in rural areas as network providers are regulated to have in Canada. There are many rural areas in the US with little or no coverage (Alaska, Oregon, Maine and West Virginia among others) so it's important to understand the limitations to roaming service. With VoLTE the overall US Roaming service will improve and will be more or less on par with first tier provider's "Roam like Home" service but at a considerably cheaper cost.

While your first experience has not been satisfactory and you have been issued a credit if you decide to purchase US Roaming add ons again use the info and references contained in the following thread to familiarize yourself with how US Roaming add ons work so that you have a better experience. Public Mobile is DIY service to a certain extent and if you are used to and can afford to make the choice and pay for first tier provider service then that's your preference. But if you need some help or troubleshooting while Roaming in the US the community is here to be of assistance to you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Note: The above thread has not been updated with the current roll out of VoLTE calling but the 2G network info applies if you cannot access VoLTE calling on your device.

aidan11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Washington state and Florida.

Thanks for your help. They did give me a credit this morning. This is still the most frustrating experience I have ever had with the cell company. Honestly, the savings are not worth it. 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@aidan11 

Where were you when you purchased and had roaming service? Where did you travel to when you lost roaming service?

Edit:

Which US Roaming add on did you have?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@aidan11 

The Roaming service depends on the T-Mobile network in the area where you were.

Best to contact a CS_Agent for a refund for the unused Roaming plan.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@aidan11 

curious, which city and state you are at?  and data and voice both not working well?

Yes, PM is very understanding for situation like that.  Open a ticket with them, explain the situation and they will likely do something based on your situation

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): click this  Chatbot Ticket Link 

Then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" to open the ticket submission page
Next, enter your Community login, then enter your question.  Finally use My Account login or 4 digits PIN to validate.

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Need Help? Let's chat.