cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restored phone and now it says SIM is unsupported even though it worked before restore

reecebennett02
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey!

I restored my iphone to try to get rid of some of the "other" data and when I go to activate it it says the SIM is not supported.  I get this message:

"The SIM card tha you currently have installed in this Iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the acitvation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.  This is not a hardware issue with the Iphone.  Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this Iphone be unlocked by your carrier.  Please contact apple for more information"

Ive had this phone using this SIM card for over a year with Public with no issue. The phone is 100% unlocked.  How can I activate my phone with this card?  

7 REPLIES 7

@reecebennett02 wrote:

Hey!

I restored my iphone to try to get rid of some of the "other" data and when I go to activate it it says the SIM is not supported.  I get this message:

"The SIM card tha you currently have installed in this Iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the acitvation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.  This is not a hardware issue with the Iphone.  Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this Iphone be unlocked by your carrier.  Please contact apple for more information"

Ive had this phone using this SIM card for over a year with Public with no issue. The phone is 100% unlocked.  How can I activate my phone with this card?  

Sorry, but you can't until you have your phone unlocked.  Your device is not unlocked.  The iTunes activation server checks for lock status when doing iTunes activation.  It may have passed the check before (or activation and lock status check somehow bypassrd using unofficial means), but as it is now, your phone is locked to a different carrier.  Only that carrier or Apple can help you with this.

@wmleung wrote:

Sounded like your phone was not originally bought for Telus/Koodo/PM (or an ealier version of PM).  Make sure you still have the unlock code handy in case it asks you again.

Good luck.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an unlock code for any iPhone device.  Apple keeps track of which ones are unlocked.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@popping wrote:

@reecebennett02

Doing a restore may cause your iPhone to  be locked again. 

Where did you purchased your iPhone?

Call the cattrier to get it unlocked.

If you do not know which carrier it originally from, apple may be able to help

@reecebennett02 yes, this is the correct answer as I understand it as well.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@reecebennett02

Doing a restore may cause your iPhone to  be locked again. 

Where did you purchased your iPhone?

Call the cattrier to get it unlocked.

If you do not know which carrier it originally from, apple may be able to help

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I sense this has something to do with Apple accounts that are required to set up the phone.  Since I don't use iOS, I will avoid foot in mouth disease which I have already had a few bouts of in recent times.  Wait for a hard core iOS user to weigh in, there's plenty in the forum.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can try taking out the SIM (clean it if necessary) and put it back in.

You can also check if there is a carrier update.

wmleung
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sounded like your phone was not originally bought for Telus/Koodo/PM (or an ealier version of PM).  Make sure you still have the unlock code handy in case it asks you again.

Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.