cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for help on blacklisting a lost phone IMEI

Davud
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My wife's phone was lost on July 1st, 2023. We claimed the loss to be covered by our insurance. However, the insurance company asked us to put the IMEI number of the lost phone on the blacklist as a requirement to process our claim.
As my wife's service provider was and is Public Mobile, and there is no customer service, could someone help us to know how we should proceed?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Davud 

You can report your phone as lost or stolen in Self-Serve. You don't need to know the IMEI to do this.

This immediately suspends service to the account, the number, the SIM card. So you won't have to pay while you're unable to use it. And you won't have to pay for somebody else trying to consume it. (I think this causes some problems with Rewards which would normally be allocated during the halted plan cycle, assuming Public Mobile still hasn't fixed these problems, but that's a minor inconvenience compared vs the chance of having your plan and add-on provisions depleted by a thief.)

Public Mobile will have a log of every phone/device (every unique IMEI) that your SIM card has been plugged into. But for some reason they're usually reluctant to share this information.

I'm not sure why your insurance claim would require an IMEI to be valid. But then again, I've endured countless other pointless stupid bureaucratic boxes over the years, a mighty insurance institution evolving into a typical technologically-backward corporate dinosaur is quite plausible. Still, if you lack an IMEI number (which, strictly speaking, your insurance company doesn't need and can't use for anything) then I suppose you can try just zeroing the field. It's always a fifteen digit string of numerals, often grouped (just for visual convenience) into three groups of five digits each, 00000 00000 00000.

In the future, you can lookup how to use your phone's (every phone's) built-in IMEI/MEID/ICCID display functions. And take a screenshot.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello there and thanks so much for using the publics mobile community forum, this a great way to search for help, in case you have created a ticket or sent a private message to our customer support, please keep an eye on your public mobile community imbox.

Public Mobile Team.

@Davud wrote:

My wife's phone was lost on July 1st, 2023. We claimed the loss to be covered by our insurance. However, the insurance company asked us to put the IMEI number of the lost phone on the blacklist as a requirement to process our claim.
As my wife's service provider was and is Public Mobile, and there is no customer service, could someone help us to know how we should proceed?

There is customer service at Public Mobile.  Please have your wife open a ticket using the chatbot.  

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

If that doesn't work, a private message can be sent to CS_Agent.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Davud 

please submit a ticket with CS agent and they will add the IMEI on the national blacklist:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.