cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund

perogy7510
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I changed my mind about subscribing to Public Mobile on March 7, 2023 I am still awaiting refund.

11 REPLIES 11

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@spininaround 

That part of the WCC pertains to device subsidy contracts that some prepaid providers offer their customers on a 24 month term so prepaid customers in that circumstance are offered the same protections as postpaid customers. 

Prepaid mobile providers have the advantage of nearly complete freedom to dictate the terms of service and can change them at any time. In fact they can cancel your service whenever they want for any reason as long as they give you 30 days notice by almost any measure they choose and you agree to it as soon as you top up funds or renew your service.

Public Mobile has very recently changed their Terms of Service tightening up any possible loopholes that may have favoured the customer. It would suit every customer to read it but as far as I can tell it's been nearly 30 days since it was changed so we have just about all agreed to the new terms without even knowing it.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

We are technically on a 30 day (or 90) contract. We agree to renew that contract each time we pay. But that wording is more about a phone. Phones aren't sold here anymore and when they did they were bought outright and not on a 2 year contract like people do to get the latest and greatest to pay it over time. That's the bit about 15 days.

@spininaround 

Prepaid is not a contract

and the key to that is you have the right to cancel  the contract at no cost and return the phone at no cost, but you still to pay the service fee for that 15 days, even with Postpaid provider

And again, for PM, there is no contract and no phone involved, so, those terms do not apply here

You can message support to confirm here:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

spininaround

That is not how I read the law on the government website here https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/prepay.htm 

Do you pay before you use your wireless service?
If so, you have the right: 
to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 calendar days and if you have not used more than half of the usage specified in your monthly plan limits, if you are unhappy with your service

I understand that this is a pre-pay but there is still a contract you and PM agree to a ToS and the above is listed for pre-paid not just post-paid. 

@spininaround   the 15 days trial period is not for you to opt out a Prepaid service

The 15 days is for you to opt out a contract with a postpaid provider as well as to return the phone if you got it with the plan/contract.  But you still need to pay the 15 days service on a postpaid provider

PM is a prepaid provider and that 15 days trial set by CRTC does not apply, as there is no contract here, and you don't finance the phone here

spininaround

Doesn't Canadian law stipulate you have a 15 day Trial period? Is PM not adhering to this law?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@hairbag1 

I think you mean pm uses the Telus/Bell network. 😀

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sorry no refunds for changing your mind.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@perogy7510 

you won't get a refund because you changed your mind.

My suggestion is to keep the account going for the 30 days and test drive Public Mobile. Not sure why you changed your mind, but I think you'll find PM to be a very reliable cell network..it uses Telus / Rogers Bell backbone, so PM is as good as any of the other networks. The big diff is in customer support. There's no traditional phone - in customer support. Instead this Community Forum is your first line if you have issues. We can help solve those issues or direct you to proper channel to fix it.

Why not give it a try for the 30 days...you've already invested in it.

spelling

edited

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@perogy7510   PM is prepaid provider, there is no refund.

You paid for the service for 30 days.  So, when you joined in Mar 7, you paid the service till April 6

To close the account,  you can either port out your number to another provider and your account will be closed upon successful port out of the number

Or you disable Pre-Authorized payments instead.  Once it is disabled, PM will not be able to renew your account on your next renewal , your account will then be suspended on that day and 90 more days, it will be closed

To disable Pre-authorized payment, you can use *611 if you know the 4 digits PIN

Or you can also login to My Account and go to Payment page -> Manage Payment Method, and then disable Pre-Authorized

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/payment/manage-card-summaryhttps://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/payment/manage-card-summary

**if you are not porting out, you must disable Pre-authorized payment or PM will keep charging you

@perogy7510 wrote:

I changed my mind about subscribing to Public Mobile on March 7, 2023 I am still awaiting refund.

Sorry, but there aren't any refunds offered to customer who change mind about subscribing.  You can stop paying and the account will automatically close after 90 days of suspension.

Need Help? Let's chat.