cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Delayed Incoming Texts

oney99
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Approximately 2 weeks ago I noticed I wasn't receiving texts in real time. They were delayed anywhere from 1 to 4 hours.  I had been using Textra so switched back to Samsung messages but the problem kept occurring. Did all the fixes I could think of short of a factory reset. Just noticed a few days ago that I have no bars for service many times throughout the day - doesn't matter if I'm at home or work. When my bars are at their normal level, I get the texts immediately and when the bars are gone, I don't. Sometimes I do a restart or just toggle the airplane mode and my signal comes back to the level I had before this problem but then gradually disappears again. Could this be a SIM card issue? Phone issue (S9)? Appreciate any help/advice.

12 REPLIES 12

oney99

Thanks for the suggestions!

oney99

Appreciate the help!

oney99

Thanks for your help - haven't tried a network reset yet.  Will do that next.

oney99

No I'm not in Winnipeg...thanks for trying to help!

@gpixel wrote:

@oney99 are you in the Manitoba Winnipeg region? pm discontinued the 850mhz band. maybe you are in an area with low reception. 

That's certaintly possible, but if this person has an LTE device and there is 700Mhz LTE coverage in the area, the affect should be negligable since text messaging can be sent and received while connected to the LTE network.

@MUGWAMPER wrote:

Check you APN settings

APN settings aren't related to Text messaging (SMS), but even if they were, the settings are either right or not. Wrong settings wouldn't cause a delay.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@oney99 are you in the Manitoba Winnipeg region? pm discontinued the 850mhz band. maybe you are in an area with low reception. 

@oney99 

If toggling airplane mode on/off fixed your problem if only temporarily it means your phone is having difficulty maintaining a good connection to the network.  Putting your sim in another phone to see if this problem persists will tell you if its a hardware issue with your phone or a network issue. 

You can check and see if there is maintenance being done in your area on cellular towers you regularily connect to or use this site to see what towers are in your area that you connect to that could only allow a weak or degrading connection as you move about ( like s concrete building blocking  your signal or when you go into a basement .)

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=52.000000&lng=-97.000000&zoom=4&type=Roadm...

MUGWAMPER
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Check you APN settings

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@oney99 

Is it possible that between the time the text is sent and you receive it, that you are moving in/out of a Wi-Fi zone that your device connects to?

It may be possible messages are being delayed due to your chat settings.

Try adjusting Chat messages options.

1. click Messaging app, 
  2. click 3 little dots top right, 
  3. select Settings, 
  4. under Chat settings, scroll to "Select default messaging type", 
  5. toggle it to Automatic or Text/multimedia msg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@oney99 wrote:

Approximately 2 weeks ago I noticed I wasn't receiving texts in real time. They were delayed anywhere from 1 to 4 hours.  I had been using Textra so switched back to Samsung messages but the problem kept occurring. Did all the fixes I could think of short of a factory reset. Just noticed a few days ago that I have no bars for service many times throughout the day - doesn't matter if I'm at home or work. When my bars are at their normal level, I get the texts immediately and when the bars are gone, I don't. Sometimes I do a restart or just toggle the airplane mode and my signal comes back to the level I had before this problem but then gradually disappears again. Could this be a SIM card issue? Phone issue (S9)? Appreciate any help/advice.

@oney99 

I know you said no factory reset was done, what about a reset of your network settings?

Someone else had a weird occurrence like this not too long ago. IF I recall correctly I think the Moderator were able to reset something for the user on their end. You could inquire with them and ask.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@oney99 

Did you try network rest on your phone?  How is talk and data use?

Which province do you live in?

In Manitoba (Winnipeg and Brandon)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

Are you using RCS messaging with Android?  Is so, turn that option off.  

Need Help? Let's chat.