cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive texts in Mexico

PM_User
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just want to confirm that it is still the case that we can NOT receive texts in Mexico on Public Mobile from Canada. 

I am spending more time in Mexico and am loathe to spend $15+ a day for the privilege of receiving a text so I have been researching other options.  I have VoIP for international phone calls but Canadian banks won't send a 2FA text to a virtual phone #.

I have been informed that users on Chatr are able to do this with the $15/m plan.  I am just wondering if that is a Rogers network feature vs a Telus network feature?    

It just seems odd to me that this isn't something that is possible with PM, since it is available on other Telus services.  What are others doing to receive texts while in Mexico?

9 REPLIES 9

hi @PM_User what other websites you need the 2FA codes while you are in Mexico?  Will try to help 

PM_User

As I mentioned it isn't JUST BMO, that was only an example.  I will however check into the BMO challenge questions as I didn't see an option for that.  Thx.

@PM_User wrote:

Bank is BMO and doesn't have an authenticator app option sadly and only provides phone # for 2FA. There are a few other websites also w/o authenticator app options.  

It does look like I many need to port over to Chatr for the functionality I want at a reasonable price point. 

@PM_User   

you don't have to leave PM

this is from BMO

Have more convenience when you travel or don't have access to a phone
Set up challenge questions as an alternate authentication method so that you don't have to enter in a verification code at sign in when prompted.

PM_User

Bank is BMO and doesn't have an authenticator app option sadly and only provides phone # for 2FA. There are a few other websites also w/o authenticator app options.  

It does look like I many need to port over to Chatr for the functionality I want at a reasonable price point. 

PM_User

I do typically get a Mexico phone while in Mexico, but I don't believe that will let me get 2FA texts from Canada. 😞

@PM_User wrote:

I don't believe that TextNow can receive texts from bank as it is a virtual #.  I would be very happy to hear that isn't the case. 

I don't have an issue with 'people' as I have alternate 'free' ways to communicate with them while in Mexico.

@PM_User   No, you cannot receive 2FA on TextNow without paying

Best is to check with your bank and use Authenticator app instead of text for 2FA, e.g, TD has such app

If they do not have such app, you will have to change it to receive 2FA via email

PM_User

I don't believe that TextNow can receive texts from bank as it is a virtual #.  I would be very happy to hear that isn't the case. 

I don't have an issue with 'people' as I have alternate 'free' ways to communicate with them while in Mexico.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@PM_User , Public Mobile does not offering roaming services in Mexico, only in US.  You will need to look into local services while in Mexico.  I would not call this odd but rather an artefact of a tier 3 service not having the same features of a tier 1 service.  The convenience comes at pretty high expense for daily roaming.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@PM_User  

sill same.  You cannot receive text in Mexico. PM still only provide roaming service for US and no where else.  PM does not have it because it is only Tier 3 provider, Telus keep it a bare minimum for PM in terms for services 

Use VoIP app TextNow as a work around. Have people to text you on your new TextNow number and you can receive it on your app

Need Help? Let's chat.