cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Google Maps Does Not Work With DATA

imkane
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having this same issue. For the past 3 weeks or so, Google Maps never updates my location while I'm driving. It can map out a route, but then when I start moving, the map is stuck in the original location. Very frustrating. I've tried all the usual solutions.

10 REPLIES 10

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en_CA&gl=US

This app has an AGPS reset function which may help.  You can also verify the GPS chip is working on your phone. 

GPS location does not use data... Google maps should function just fine with Wifi Only, and/or offline maps - at least to show your locaiton. Most likely the GPS module is not working, or location services has been disabled.

In my phone this is configured under Settings > Security & Location > Location

Ensure it's "ON" - ad then also check "Location Mode" - High accuracy allows using GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or cellular networks to determins location - or "Device Only" - use GPS to determine location.

if you have "battery saving" option selected, then GPS will not be used which is needed for usable google maps navigation.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I have found, @imkane , that when I'm connected to my home wi-fi and I set directions to a destination from my connected wi-fi, that after I begin my travels, Google Maps does not function reliably when transitioning to available offline maps (note, i do not use data)

I'm better off using offline maps from the beginning of the directions process to ensure reliability.

If you prefer to use data, try the following steps mentioned below in sequence to help resolve the issue:  

• Close the Google Maps app and re-launch it.
  • Sign out and sign back in to Google Maps with the same Google Account.
  • Clear App data:
    • Open your device's Settings app (not the Google Settings app).
    • Touch Apps.
    • Select Google Maps in the list.
    • Touch Clear data.
  • Update the Google Maps app on your phone:
    • Visit the Google Play Store.
    • Open Google Maps.
    • Touch on Update.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Is it possible that the GPS module is broken?

@imkane wrote:

That's not the problem. It's in High Accuracy mode already. I've tried everything that's obvious ... all the possible Android / Google Maps settings. Uninstall/reinstall the app, etc.

@imkane Have you tried a different app? Copilot or Maps.me (and others) are free and use offline maps. Try one see if the problem is phone wide or specific to Google maps.

Edit: Did you try and download an offline map in Google Maps as shown by @Jb456?

imkane
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's not the problem. It's in High Accuracy mode already. I've tried everything that's obvious ... all the possible Android / Google Maps settings. Uninstall/reinstall the app, etc.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@imkane

@imkane 

Does it say this at the top?

Screenshot_20210116_152526.jpg

It's actually better to have it on WiFi only.  You save your data this way.

Now just download OFFLINE MAPS. 

Click your little symbol on top right.

Screenshot_20210116_160126.jpg

Then click "OFFLINE MAPS" ON LEFT IN THE DROP DOWN.

Screenshot_20210116_153024.jpg

Then select your own map.

Screenshot_20210116_153138.jpg

You can use two fingers to zoom out or in to get the map bigger for the area you want.

Then download it. 

You can download multiple maps.

Only thing you will not get is traffic updates as you're not on data but you will have everything else with turn by turn 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@imkane There is a setting within Google Maps that can restrict it to wifi only. I can't remember where exactly it is but a google search should sort you out. It is selected when you download Google maps to your phone and don't want to use data. Your phone will revert to the saved maps in the absence of wifi. If it is selected and you haven't saved a map, it would probably explain why the map doesn't move.

Need Help? Let's chat.