cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CRTC introduces new minimum prepaid plan standards

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MoreYummy 

With the new mandate from the federal government for minimum plan requirements for the $15 plan to have some included data and a $35 plan to have at least 3gb I wouldn't be surprised to see the regular plan data to be increased and some time in the next few months for pm to remain competitive in its market share.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

8 REPLIES 8

@gpixel wrote:

I don't think increasing data makes sense... PM needs to increase their data speeds and add volte 🤳 🙄

Something will come eventually with the "end" of 3G.. either that will also be the end of PM or PM will have to adopt VoLTE.. 

I don't think increasing data makes sense... PM needs to increase their data speeds and add volte 🤳 🙄

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

By the frequency of the 2 GB promos, and it being available as a hidden promo since May, i would expect a increase in data by the end of the year as a guess.

Quite a bit of interpreting is needed to compare PM plans with those CRTC requirements. The PM $15 plan sounds very much like the middle one on that CRTC page… except.. it is a Postpaid not a Prepaid plan. 

This is just a part of what the government said they were going to get involved with. I really think these current 2GB promos will ultimately be tacked onto all or most plans fairly soon. Maybe not 2GB across the board but I agree with @darlicious that changes/improvements are coming.

AE_Collector

I don't see how that will affect PM.. The  $15 and $35 plan are already in line with CRTC's

Chatr, Lucky and PM are all in line with the guideline in fact.. Given that they have been "cooperating" so well with each other, I won't be surprise they will continue this "alliance"  and keep the current plans as is

dauno
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

With the new mandate, I think that the $15 and $25 plans data would either be increased and/or they'd be included in these promotions.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious wrote:

With the new mandate from the federal government for minimum plan requirements for the $15 plan to have some included data and a $35 plan to have at least 3gb I wouldn't be surprised to see the regular plan data to be increased and some time in the next few months for pm to remain competitive in its market share.

I haven't heard anything about this new government meddling.

I can't understand why they'd have to mandate more data anyhow. The telcoms make so much steady revenue by tracking and packaging and selling "our" data to other brokers that it's only in their best interests to make as much data for as many subscribers as cheap as possible. They're not quite at the point where they can profit by simply distributing (and controlling) "free" data across their network, but they get a little closer every year so the last thing they'd want is to install regulatory signposts and obstructions in their path.

Although for now, the Big Three have settled their plan structures into a comfy zone and they're all reporting grand losses after a couple years of Covid ... so nobody wants to rock the boat. Our insolvent government is looking for creative ways to generate revenue (taxes) but I doubt they'll start lawmaking against their favourite corporations.

(Probably best to continue this topic in a new thread.)

Need Help? Let's chat.