cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE phone, why only selected phones?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

OK, this is not a question that I expect contacting CS Agent would be the solution  and no reboot phone needed for sure  🙂

Yes, it is more a question for Koodo and Telus and not for us yet, but I am eager to know when PM finally introduces VoLTE (I hope we will have it one day without going to Koodo prepaid 🙂 )

At the moment, only selected phones are allowed to use VoLTE on Koodo and Telus. Why?  Is that really some technical limitation or lots of work to prepare a particular model of phone to use VoLTE?  Or just a way telecom try to ask us to buy phones they like (phones that they sell)?

Next question, when 3G finally shutdown in the end, are we expecting  that ALL VoLTE capable phones will be able to use VoLTE  or still just those make it to the VoLTE supported device will be using VoLTE and the rest of the phone will be shut out at all (since no more 3G at that time and hence no voice call if they are not on the VoLTE   supported list)

11 REPLIES 11

@sheytoon 

Lol...thanks he certainly has.....another one of pm's unsolved mysteries. Not all glitches are bad.

Wow, that's unexpected for sure. No idea... enjoy it!

@sheytoon 

Yes. It even works when his account has been suspended for non payment. 

@darlicious so your BF has a Sonim phone with PM SIM card, and WiFi calling works?

Thanks @sheytoon  for your insight.   That make me happier to know that likely most capable phones will likely be able to use VoLTE when the time comes.

@sheytoon 

Maybe you can shed some insight on this....

The bf's now back up phone the Sonim XP-8 was originally a telus phone so is enabled with VoLTE and wifi calling....and the wifi calling works without an active plan. Figure that one out?!!

The bf is with pm and telus does provide my home internet and optik tv.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@softech it's a great question. I've asked the same thing to Bell and Telus.

During the early VoLTE days, a lot of phones had performance problems with poor voice call quality. The operators asked phone manufacturers to disable VoLTE unless it was specifically tested and certified by both parties (phone manufacturer and operator).

These days VoLTE is mature and I don't expect such issues would be present.

Once 3G is shut down, all phones should be able to use VoLTE on the network. I would assume the operators are working with phone manufacturers to ensure such restrictions will be removed.

From what I remember, the main issue with not enabling VoLTE for everyone has to do with the way prepaid accounts are provisioned/billed vs. postpaid. I don't know why third party phones aren't enabled yet on postpaid (i.e. OnePlus phone on Telus).

All operators are working to enable VoLTE across the board. I think it'll be done by end of 2022.

@srlawren   maybe that saved you a trip to Fido with your OnePlus.  Someone in the French forum just said he called Koodo/Telus/Bell/Rogers  and none of those support OnePlus on VoLTE.

I am really curious if it will be like this still when 3G is gone, or they will finally open it up for all phones

Do you know if US is doing the same?  only selected phones are welcome into the the "VoLTE club"?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: supported devices.  This has been very frustrating for me in the past, using OnePlus devices that were fully VoLTE capable but not supported by Koodo.  Rogers/Fido have a more liberal policy and I almost converted to Fido a couple of times, but Call Control kept me with Koodo (that, plus a general laziness to switch).  Now that I have a "blessed" device (Pixel 6), I can enjoy VoLTE with my Koodo plan, which is nice, but honestly not worth switching carriers over so I'm glad I never bothered.

EDIT: which is all to say that no I don't believe there is a technical explanation.  I think it's more of a "we don't want to support every random phone you can buy off the internet when you switch on VoLTE and it doesn't work".  Or as noted, an incentive for you to maybe pick up a new device through Koodo/Telus instead and make them a few extra bucks in the process.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@softech 

That's more of a marketing gimmick to get you to buy your phone from them. How they will be able to get away with that once the 3G network is eliminated and everyone has to use VoLTE is beyond me.

I cannot currently enable VoLTE on my A3 or my pixel 3 but it is enabled on my moto g7+. The bf's now back up phone the Sonim XP-8 was originally a telus phone so is enabled with VoLTE and wifi calling....and the wifi calling works without an active plan. Figure that one out?!!

crustylady
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

it'll all work out @softech 

we'll all just reboot our home wi-fi network, wait a minute, and turn it back on

that'll make it all better

😏

Need Help? Let's chat.