cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Problem activating Sim card

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey guys, im helping out a friend hook up 3 phones, she done the first one fine. Then the second one she is having problems.  On the final screen of activation when she tried to submit it, it came up error 'something went wrong' her credit card was charged so it sound's like it worked but it never, she tried to do it over again and it comes up invalid sim number. How can I help her get this fixed, I have her phone and sim info. who can hellp here? Thanks in advance

17 REPLIES 17

ASteg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can't access my self serve account and have no service.  Thanks for you help.  Will contact a moderator.

When you log into your self serve account - what is the status ?  If it is active and you have no service then contact a moderator.  It can take 48 - 72 hours for a response.

Moderator can be reached at 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

ASteg

Hello all,

I just went through the process of signing up with Public Mobile for the first time.  I hit the final activate button and was given the message, "Generic Error  Oh No!  it looks like something went wrong, but don't panic.  Log out then log back in again to continue."

I tried to login and was given a "Sorry, you login attempt failed".  Several times.

My credit card is showing a fee.  At this point, I'm very unimpressed by the service and would appreciate help finalizing my registration.  Thanks, Amy

@Nekura7 wrote:

I am now happily connected! The moderator was much quicker getting back to me on Friday and by that evening my number was properly connected. I even got a credit for the days I didn't have service. A rocky start but it ended well.

Good news! And welcome to public mobile!

Nekura7

I am now happily connected! The moderator was much quicker getting back to me on Friday and by that evening my number was properly connected. I even got a credit for the days I didn't have service. A rocky start but it ended well.

@Nekura7 

You have tried what most experienced community members would suggest.  You are right...  you need moderator help, but unfortunately, they have been more busier than usual. Hopefully, by tomorrow, your issues will be resolved.

Nekura7

Thanks for your reply dunkman.

The Telus card worked up until yesterday morning when I got an email from telus saying the service was cancelled due to the number transfer. 

I've tried all sorts of reboot and sim sim card reinsertion combinations. I just tried moving my PM SIM from my essential ph-1 to a galaxy 7 previously with a bell SIM and it doesn't work (the galaxy was displaying signal strength consistently but I think that's just part of the essential's software to not display signal strength if it's not usable).

I found the lost/stolen trick last night and was very hopeful but it didn't work either. When calling my number from another phone it says the number is disconnected so I'm sure it just needs to be registered on PM's service.

Just frustrating that it's taking so long. 

@Nekura7 

Moderators need to verify identity and then will be able to help you.  Unfortunately, the private messaging system is not live.  You should hear back from somebody tomorrow.  Wait times are longer than usual

Since Telus and PM are part of same company.  The port should have been quick.  There is likely a port/activation issue.  Does your Telus SIM card still work?

Things to try in the meantime as you wait for moderator:

1.  Reboot your phone

2.  Try your PM SIM card in another phone to help determine whether hardware issue/setup versus Public mobile service problem

3.  Lost/stolen phone trick.  Will reset your SIM.p

To report your phone  lost/stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  The choose Suspend Service tab.  Logout.  Wait few minutes.  Login in and report your phone found.  Reboot phone.

Nekura7

Exact same thing happened to me on Tuesday. I was transferring my Telus number to PM. It took untill Wednesday morning for that to happen and to this moment I still have no service. A moderator finally got back to me this morning asking for additional information but then never followed up. I understand that it's cheaper because they have poor support but I was expecting that I could send a simple text message within a couple hours after I paid. 

My account is active, payment went through, number transfered properly, but can't call, text, or use data.

I'm assuming it's either a bad sim card or the service wasn't properly activated when I got the error at the end of the process... 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@REF your SIM card will be locked out for an hour or so by the system. I suggest you go and enjoy summer, come back way after the sun is down and try again. Public Mobile's system is glitchy and over utilized.. but we are all here to save a buck here and there.

REF

Exact same problem. Just happened 1 hour ago. Did anyone offer a solution?

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

yes

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

Hey guys, im helping out a friend hook up 3 phones, she done the first one fine. Then the second one she is having problems.  On the final screen of activation when she tried to submit it, it came up error 'something went wrong' her credit card was charged so it sound's like it worked but it never, she tried to do it over again and it comes up invalid sim number. How can I help her get this fixed, I have her phone and sim info. who can hellp here? Thanks in advance

Error message or not, see if second sim card works.   Then check if self serve account for second account works. If it works, no action needed. On second sim, service might work but not online account.  If that occurs, you will need help from moderators.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman  you can try *611 on your phone to see if account is active

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

@Mountainmaxman  Since the credit card got charged try the sim in the phone if it doesn't work then you need to notify the moderator team to complete the activation.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Mountainmaxman 

Did your friend did a new activation or port over a number?  If PM already charged for account, I would not try again and get charged again.  Might want to wait some time.  Her account and number might start working.  

Might need to contact moderator if it does not work soon.  Expect 1-2 day wait.  

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman  the first thing is she using different email account for sign up?

Need Help? Let's chat.