cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE 3G data

deep_gupta
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi,

I have an iPhone 6s and while most of the time I get LTE on my phone occasionally I do see 3G network in basements and sometimes on the train. My data is unusuable at this point now Telus koodo bell virgin all are using the same network so theoretically I should be able to use their 3G network which is not the fastest but still fast. How do I use data when I get 3G network on my iPhone for data I think calls are still fine. It's the whatsapp fb snapchat won't work on iPhone 6s.

Any thoughts.. Anyone else encounter this issue. Any suggestions I have my cellular data on and have isp.mb.com for my apn in iOS...

Please suggest how to fix this issue...
13 REPLIES 13

deep_gupta

deep_gupta

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
When I'm on 3G with my iPhone 7, I don't seem to have a problem. Of course a little slower than LTE. Telus isn't slowing Public Mobile down.

rkreddyb4u
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

yes - defnitely not terrible - I tried a ultra hd video and was able to watch seamless 

outdoorsaddix

I used to be on Telus, 3G data allways seemed awful in Toronto. Moved to public and its the exact same. I don`t recall it being this terrible back when 3G was a new thing on the iPhone 3G. Maybe it has to do with the networks never being improved and the traffic currently on the old systems?

deep_gupta
So I bought my iPhone 6s A1633 outright so it's unlocked and I have had koodo Fido many brands of networks on this phone and even on 3G the data works flawlessly. For some reason the basement it goes to 3G for some reason and whenever I get 3G it's either slow or not usable...

willph
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@deep_gupta

I don't have an exact answer for you, but google search brings me this article....may be worth trying as most of these are quick and easy.

https://www.igeeksblog.com/3g-lte-not-working-on-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus/

My friend recently bought a LG phone off ebay and LTE was working, but 3g was not.  Turns out it was a common issue with that particular model/generation and he returned it.

If the above doesn't work, do you know someone else with a different sim on a different carrier to test the phone?  Presuming your phone is unlocked.  Or even if locked, just use that carrier's sim in your phone.

This will determine if its a settings thing with PM, or the actual phone.

Good Luck

-William

MVP

My 3G data speed  was actually pretty decent,  5-10 Mbps dowsn, 1-2 Mbps up, as far as I recall.

I'd intentionally switched off LTE, in an area with good reception,

to see how PM behaves in 3G. i use android.

Maybe your issue is overall signal weakness in the spots ure located... It switches to 3G as a last esort, but it does not help as the signal is too weak physically.

willph

@will13am I have no issues on my iphone 6 when switching between LTE and HSPA.  I tested this when I first came over from Telus.  Works the exact same, and did speed tests both on LTE and 3g/HSPA and both were so close to each other speed and service wise that it is hardly worth mentioning.  +/- 10kb/s

(phones on same tower, same location, side by side, same time etc).

deep_gupta
Hi,

I'm on the cellular settings and cellular>cellular data options> CellularData Network> Personal hotspot
APN :ISP.MB.Com rest is blank I don't see an option for the other settings where you can manually add Apna as shown in the post you mentioned I'm on iOS 10.1.1 and I got this when I inserted my SIM card and my LTE data works flawlessly. So the settings are correct need to find out why 3G data is not working properly... or slowly is there a preference or something I'm unsure about this... please advice

@willph wrote:

Should be SP.MB.COM as opposed to ISP.MB.COM

Also verify the rest of the settings as per this post:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/iPhone-Update-and-APN-settings/m-p/1610#...

And remember to get the latest carrier update as well.

-William

What does switching back and forth between LTE and HSPA have anything to do with APN settings.  If these settings are wrong, there will be no data connection at all?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I get the same result when the LTE connection is lost and I switch to HSPA.  HSPA performance reminds me a lot of Wind Mobile, my previous carrier.  I sense that Telus is applying some sort of QoS to PM customers.  We might be placed at the bottom of the food chain.

willph

Should be SP.MB.COM as opposed to ISP.MB.COM

Also verify the rest of the settings as per this post:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/iPhone-Update-and-APN-settings/m-p/1610#...

And remember to get the latest carrier update as well.

-William

Need Help? Let's chat.