cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public mobile - signal strenght - 1-2 bars consistently

Todd5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am being advised to get a new phone as friends believe the phone has a weak antennae.
I am being recommended to get a sonim phone, as it is outdoor durable to damage incidents.
Q:  is this a network situation or a phone issue . I have never got signal strength of 3-4 bars
phone calls made in Burnaby BC. Now I cannot use phone indoors, and have to wander in back alley
to keep call going, calls drop after couple minutes or don't outbound dial connect at all.

Sounds like the phone... and thoughts or recommendations for cheap phone ( ie less then $400 with a known good antennae if this is indeed the problem.

Thanks for feedback

19 REPLIES 19

@Todd5 

5G is just a frequency in the air. It is not cracked up to what it is but with the decommissioning of 3G in 2025. 
Only frequencies available will be 4G/LTE and 5G…these are the only in the USA since 3G is not available…so don’t go to the US.

@Todd5  actually, not VoLTE, just LTE or 3G already allows you to have calls and data at the same time.  

Todd5

I read about VoLTE which permits data (email etc) to be received while on a phone call.
However for me it was the irratic connection, and drop calls Consistently that is primary concern to resolve
since my 2 most recent calls did not drop while on the "3G" ( dispite misnomer icon 4G) using network WCDMA only setting... I just don't want my head cut-off (let alone the call) by frustrated receivers of my calls.

I am just happy at this point and was willing to consider no data phone at all, if I could get 100% reliable voice calls. So will keep fingers crossed.   Thank-you again for all the tips , troubleshooting on this thread.

Peace to you.

Todd5 << and all other Todd's

Todd5

I guess your not aware what 5G is all about.. It's deadly to men/women (not human) health.
I will never get a 5G phone... do your research. Its' purpose is evil.

@Todd5  the dialer delay could be because the phone needs to switch from LTE to 3G.  For most of us, while we can use data on 3G/LTE/5G, voice can ONLY be used on 3G (unless VoLTE is enabled, but it is not compatible with your phone).  

If all good, you should leave it on GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto for better data connectivity.  Again, on your phone showing 4G is in fact 3G.  The real 4G should shows LTE

Todd5

just FYI  Network mode setting radio button on this LGK31 choices are :

GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto  - shows "LTE" top corner icon
GSM /WCDMA auto
WCDMA only  <<< now made active [4G icon appears now ]
GSM only

I completed 2 calls extensive time (44 minutes) while walking outside / return to desk without incident... no drops... dialer was delayed connect first time but not subsequent.

[ also did - pull / re-insert sim , airplane mode a few times toggle ]

So its looking very positive and in fact have signal bars fluxuation - it even hit 4 bars for a moment
but shows 1 little bar that comes on and off ( hmm for extended like apx couple min now ) though while idle.

just closely observing phone...at this time..

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have the same issue but I live in the ground floor of a walkup beside another walk up. Data works hit and miss, but at least I can get calls and texts for now

II've noticed signal worsening the past 6 months or so. Same phone, same place, when I go out signal improves drastically. Support didn't even really have any suggestions. I'm screwed if in the future volte will require data for calls when they kill the wcdma network entirely. If that becomes the case I'll need to search for other carriers out of pure necessity

The only different one is Rogers brands around here, but they're the ones that have 💩 the bed province wide, may have even been country wide for a full day including debit, internet, it was a full on all services outage. It impacted businesses and everything ... But my telus/bell networks phone was still fine and that's never happened. Feel stuck between a rock and a hard place quite literally

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Todd5 

You should get good reception in Telus and Bell cell towers. There are dead zones so it is probably not your phone.

When I was on Chatr, I was at the old Costco on Brighton Avenue and was in the dead zone and they charged me for a LD call.🤬

Maybe try your SIM in your friends phone and see if you get the same result on reception.

If your phone is an old make and model. There is an unlocked Samsung A54 with 5G 128gb internal storage for $414 or you can get the Motorola Moto Stylus 5G at Costco for $400. Both are on sale until the end of the week.

I would highly recommend the Samsung over the Moto.

@Todd5 for some phones, 4G means 3G (yes, it is weird, but it is true)

your 3G plan means 3G speed plan.  In fact, you can use it on 3G , LTE or even 5G network.  Which ever network you connect to, it just capped at the 3Mbps speed.  So, please try connecting to other Preferred network type or Network mode.  You will get better speed

and try in different area

and for LG phone, try Reset All networks and it could help.  Please be aware that will also delete your saved Wifi and Bluetooth connections, but you just need to rejoin them

Todd5

I seem to have no problem getting email or text message.
but its not a frequent flyer of . Its the phone calls that is now got my friends/family irrate )

Todd5

I dont want to get a new phone if the phone is not the issue...
never had issue last year...if memory serves me correct ( ie no dropped calls, no problem connection to network on using dialer...to make outbound call
but I thought my plan price was restricted to only set phone for 3G 

again maybe I need to do some call testing ... and switch to the 4g which again

ok setting to WCDMA only ( which shows the icon 4G  - instead of LTE with the other Network mode(GSM /WCDMA/LTE auto)

Todd5

never heard of "Reliable" but you made me think of a local used reseller  ( but think he is more a iphone reseller - not interested in Mr. Apple )

@Todd5   K31 have decent number of  4G bands

K31 bands (BOLD are compatible ones)

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 25, 26, 41, 66, 71

bands used on PM

E-Band-Frequency.jpg

And you aware that you can choose 4G network? you have a 3G plan but you can use 4G network , just speed will be reduced.

And you only have data issue or voice as well?

And for the new phone what exact model you are going for ?

Todd5

network mode selected now : "Preferred network mode: GSM / WCDMA / LTE auto"
which is what it always was..
signal is those bars are so tiny top right corner fluxuation 
1-2   if my eyes read that correctly..|  wish there was a more precise way to read the signal strength...

Todd5

further info: I am on the $25 plan 1024 MB at 3G Speed
using LG K31 phone
in major city Burnaby BC - big city
( I have no signal at all when I selected WCDMA only ( which indicates really small icon 4G network)
tried airplane mode / couple times on/off
will post again shortly... will see if I can get at the sim card... its requires that little pinhole push...just found it...

Todd5
  • further info:  I am on the $25 plan 1024 MB at 3G Speed
    using LG K31 phone
    in major city Burnaby BC
    ( I have no signal at all when I selected WCDMA only  ( which indicates really small icon 4G network)
  • tried airplane mode / couple times on/off
    will post again shortly... will see if I can get at the sim card... its requires that little pinhole push...just found it...

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Get a phone from Reliable and well known brand like Samsung.

Do not go for a cheap stuff. You can get used but well preserved (last year or 2 years old) model for good price.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Todd5 - network and phone could contribute here. What model of phone do you have, and what troubleshooting have you tried?

Try 1 or more of the below for network issues:

• restart your phone
  • toggle into and out of airplane mode
  • perform a Reset of the device's Network Settings
  • move your sim card to another phone to see if services works (this could identify a phone issue or rule it out)
  • manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) to see if services work

Adding...1-2 bars are fine to get. Only be concerned if you drop to Zero bars. Do you find the bars increase once connected in the call?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Todd5 what exact model of sonim you are getting (or you got already)? 

what was the old phone?

phone could be an issue but location could also be.. are you in big city or rural areas?

Need Help? Let's chat.