cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Refurbished Phone - repairs

PublicMobPhone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased a refurbished iPhone 8+ in November 2022 as a Christmas present. By the time it was opened, the 30 day return / exchange period was over. The touchscreen is very laggy and we've tried a couple factory restarts without improvement. I submitted a repair ticket to Public Mobile (no response) since the Telus stores, both corporate and otherwise will not accept it for repairs. Now the audio has stopped working during phone calls, which can only be completed by turning on the speakerphone. 

Are my options a/ continue waiting for the repair ticket response, which will require sending in the phone or b/ paying to repair the phone myself? Like everyone, it would be an inconvenience to be without a phone during its repair (no backup) What kind of recourse do Public Mobile customers have when a faulty product is purchased? How do we get in touch with Public Mobile Corporate? Why are we relegated to the "Community" and crowd sourcing answers??

28 REPLIES 28

PublicMobPhone

Thans for the CCTS tip, they have been responsive to investigate the situation.

After back and forth with customer service, I finally have received the refund for the defective phone. 

Don't give up folks!

@PublicMobPhone wrote:

I will not be spending any more time chasing down a business that misrepresents their products and hides behind a dysfunctional customer support operations. After no response by Public Mobile from the Better Business Bureau, I will be seeking legal representation and sharing my experience through all social media channels. 

I would not bother with BBB. They cannot force anything to anything. Any participation between Telus and BBB is entirely voluntary. As you have tried mutiple times to resolve this dispute, the next dispute would be to contact CCTS.

PublicMobPhone

I will not be spending any more time chasing down a business that misrepresents their products and hides behind a dysfunctional customer support operations. After no response by Public Mobile from the Better Business Bureau, I will be seeking legal representation and sharing my experience through all social media channels. 

@PublicMobPhone   not great.  But try to open a ticket with PM Support again and ask them to escalate.  Message them daily for an update

Also, if there is any Mobile Klinik around you, check with them, they will take Telus and PM CPO repairs too

PublicMobPhone

I opened a ticket for support in February. Telus store will not take it back. I showed the Telus staff the warranty and they had difficulties locating my account. I had to tell them I was with Public. They called their in-store support and support cannot help either. Telus has no access to Public accounts. When Telus staff complete the device repair form, the phone identified by IMEI number is not accepted. I have spent countless hours trying to work and repair a "GREAT" phone and come to the conclusion that Public Mobile has no phone number for a reason. They have left me no choice to seek legal representation for a faulty unfixable product.

@PublicMobPhone   buy CPO phone is a hit or miss, even new phone sometimes is like that.  Important thing is that it has a warranty to cover it.  I see you tried going to Telus store and they are not taking it back? did you open a ticket with PM support?   What did they say?

The 1 year warrant is real, there was just enter customer sharing the experience on the weekend.  He did walk into 2 Telus stores for the repair. I would assume it was due to the fact that the first one was not a corporate store.  And for him, he did get another "new" (or "new" CPO phone) in the end 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Occasional-no-ring-tone-on-ZTE/m-p/963829...

When you go to Telus, you can avoid telling them you got it from PM CPO program.  It is the same Telus CPO program afterall.  Just show them  Telus warranty site showing it is still under Telus warranty (and ask them to check themselves):

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/services/warranty-lookup

Again, if you are not happy with the warranty experience, open a ticket with CS agent and ask them to escalate.

PublicMobPhone

There were no phones like new so I got a "Great" phone. 

Why is it on the customer to spend so much time servicing a product bought recently?

@PublicMobPhone wrote:

I believe the refurbishing process for public mobile phones is poor and does not result in "high-quality phones that have gone through an extensive inspection".

@PublicMobPhone 

I think all CPO phone sold by carriers are no comparison to Apple CPO problem, so, that statement could be unfair

And when you buy the CPO phone, there are different categories and different price, Like New, Great and Very Good, which one was that  That can determine how good the phone was

And you bought it in Nov 2022, you are still up for the 1 year full repair, just bring it to a Telus Coporate store and ask them to arrange repair

PublicMobPhone

I brought my Public Mobile refurbished iPhone to an Apple Store for diagnostic testing. It failed the audio test with a failed receiver, it failed the multitouch test and touch accuracy & response test, and the battery was at 87% capacity, surprising for a phone used for 3 months. For an average user like myself, a battery should deplete 1% every few month, the Apple service tech told me. I believe the refurbishing process for public mobile phones is poor and does not result in "high-quality phones that have gone through an extensive inspection". Furthermore, Public Mobile did not respond to the BBB complaint issued two months ago about the shoddy quality of their products. Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 2.52.25 PM.png

PublicMobPhone

I brought the phone to a repair store and the cost to replace the touchscreen, replace the speaker module and if necessary the logic board / integrated circuit is $280 without tax. Since the audio just started cutting out recently, I don't know if other aspects of the phone will start failing after doing these repairs.

PublicMobPhone

Phone is running iOS 16.3.1

@computergeek541 

The OP iPhone 8+ doesn’t have 2 IMEI or eSIM.

2 IMEI and eSIMs are available on iPhone iPhone XS or newer and iPhone 13 or newer have 2 eSIMs.

PublicMobPhone

Telus will not repair the Public Mobile phone. I called two stores, corporate and otherwise, and neither would agree to service the phone. Other Community posts have described phone owners travelling an hour to a Telus store only to hear the same response, whether corporate or not. This is a great deal of effort for people who have paid for a faulty product, why are we doing the legwork when quality control is so poor with refurbishment? This is a racket.

@PublicMobPhone did you try to bring your phone to a Telus store or Mobile Klinik for warranty repair??  What did they say

@TooStinkenTrue i don't think take it to repair first and send Pm the bill would work.   It might end up costing OP to pay the cost of the repair 

@computergeek541 

Thanks I agree but ultimately a CS_Agent to inform the OP to bring the phone to a cell repair shop.

When I have issues with my iPhone, I bring into an Apple Genius store or Mobile Klinik to have a look at no charge if it is a quick fix with settings.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMobPhone  For clarity about IOS up date is actually 16.3.1

PublicMobPhone

Exactly, what else can I do? Public Mobile is allowed to get away with selling faulty phones, and do nothing??

Do not buy a phone from Public Mobile. You have no recourse for repairs, even within your one-year warranty.

@PublicMobPhone wrote:

The CS agent responded with a link to a Telus website to input my IMEI number, which was not recognized. The error read "Something went wrong"

The Telus warranty checking website always gives an error message, but if the IMEI is found in the database, the information about warranty will be displayed below, regardless.  Also, if a Telus, Koodo, or Public Mobile SIM card was never used in the devices, warranty information won't get displayed since warranty actually starts/gets extended to the date when you begin using the device (not when you actually bought it or received it).  For devices that have an two IMEI numbers, try the second one, even if it's supposed to be the e-SIM IMEI. 

TooStinkenTrue

Sorry for the misunderstanding... Apple won't fix the phone under warranty regardless if you don't pay for AppleCare. Apple will, however, fix the phone if you are willing to pay. If the phone is broken, Apple would be the ones who know how to fix it correctly. 

@PublicMobPhone wrote:

The CS agent responded with a link to a Telus website to input my IMEI number, which was not recognized. The error read "Something went wrong"

@PublicMobPhone  - try opening a tab in incognito mode and try the link again, maybe just a website glitch.

IF still happening respond to the ticket and tell the CS agent.

TooStinkenTrue

Well, the phone has to get fixed regardless right?... Sending the bill to PublicMobile, they will either have empathy and cover the costs as a "we don't usually, but for this time..." courtesy gesture, or they will say it's past the warranty date and you'd have to get it fixed on your own dime regardless. If they aren't replying to your repair ticket, and you need a phone, what else can you do? 

PublicMobPhone

@BKNS27 wrote:

@PublicMobPhone 

There is a 1 year warranty for your phone so just contact a CS_Agent by creating a ticket on SIMon Chatbot or private message on the envelope icon above.

They might have you bring the phone into Mobile Klinik to check out the speaker on your phone.

The latest iOS 16.4.1 was to help fit the lagging screen issues. This is a common issue with older iOS.

Contacting a CSA will only result in assistance being given with possible troubleshooting or information given of nearest warranty repair locations.  Have the actual repair done shouldn't require the intervention of a Public Mobile CSA.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMobPhone 

There is a 1 year warranty for your phone so just contact a CS_Agent by creating a ticket on SIMon Chatbot or private message on the envelope icon above.

They might have you bring the phone into Mobile Klinik to check out the speaker on your phone.

The latest iOS 16.4.1 was to help fit the lagging screen issues. This is a common issue with older iOS.

@TooStinkenTrue wrote:

If it were me, and because it's an Apple device, I would take the phone directly to Apple and schedule it in for repair. That way they know what's up, can get the parts needed to fix it, and hopefully get it fixed for you on the day it's scheduled for repair! I've never bought a phone from PublicMobile but I would try going to a kiosk that offers PublicMobile and talk to them first, if they can't answer your questions... get the phone fixed and send the bill to PublicMobile once they reply to their repair ticket.. what else can you do?

Public Mobile CPO iPhone devices may not have been refurbished by Apple, but rather by Telus.  In addition, they are sold as Telus refurbished devices instead of Apple refurbished.  If the devices weren't refurbished by Apple directly, there would be no warranty with Apple.  Customers should understand the Public Mobile Certified Pre-owed devices do not carry any manufactuer's warranty, but rather only a warranty from Telus.  The manufactuers won't help with in-warranty repairs.

PublicMobPhone

Send the bill to Public Mobile?? That is all I can do and I know it would do nothing.

TooStinkenTrue

If it were me, and because it's an Apple device, I would take the phone directly to Apple and schedule it in for repair. That way they know what's up, can get the parts needed to fix it, and hopefully get it fixed for you on the day it's scheduled for repair! I've never bought a phone from PublicMobile but I would try going to a kiosk that offers PublicMobile and talk to them first, if they can't answer your questions... get the phone fixed and send the bill to PublicMobile once they reply to their repair ticket.. what else can you do?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMobPhone - 

A ticket closed after 48-72 hours if not responded to so i'd open another ticket and poke them about it.

Go to your SENT folder in your messages and take a screenshot of the ticket you submitted and open a new ticket. Yeah, it is past the 30 days...but hopefully they can do something if you can show it was soon after Christmas.

Need Help? Let's chat.