cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepay 1yr

jacktrusk23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it possible to make a 1 time prepay payment for 1 year and still get the loyalty and autopay reward credits?

16 REPLIES 16

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jacktrusk23 wrote:

I hightly doubt I will move anytime soon. My plan is $120 for 90 days.  12GB /unli Int Tx & unli prov talk.

Who do I need to contact to confirm what the max available funds balance is? 

@jacktrusk23

I can say with 100% certainty that if there is a balance limit, it is not less than $940, as I have seen a PM account hold at least that much.  That amount would be sufficient to cover your plan for at least 8.5 renewals (more than 2 years), factoring in your autopay and loyalty rewards.  Not saying you should put that much in though.

@jacktrusk23 wrote:

@srlawren  I hightly doubt I will move anytime soon. My plan is $120 for 90 days.  12GB /unli Int Tx & unli prov talk. Thanks for briging up the downside of the flexibility and the summary.

And no, this is not a concern of running out of funds and to add to your suggestion of moving the money to high interest bank is not even an option. its rougly $500 for the year, very small to earn interest.

To find out if there is a balance limit, you would need to wait until someone has tried it an experienced this to chime and share the information that he/she has.  Or you could ask Moderator_Team what the official balance limit policy (if any) is.  Or you could, try making a payment, and if it doesn't let you go over a certain amount, you'd probably have your answer (although I wouldn't charge do multiple charges right after each other to try to find out because the bank/card issuer might think someone stole your card and is trying to test out what they can get away with).

I know that people don't usually don't plan on switching cell phone carriers or cancelling the service. But things do happen, whether it's for financial reasons, whether you no longer need that phone number, or if the carrier uspets the customer to the point of dissatisfaction.

I've personally been in that boat where I figured I'd put about 3 or 4 months of payments into a prepaid cell phone account.  I know this was dumb of me, but when the carrier made a mistake and took out a few dollars out of my account for something that was advertised as included and they refused to fix it, so I ported my number out and ate about $100 prepaid balance out of principle.  I know that didn't really "show them" and I know it was a waste of money to do that, but stuff happens.  I'm certain that I'm not only one who done something like that, or even paid a bogus charge on a bill instead of fighting for it.

My opinion is this:  If you want to set aside enough my to prepay for a full year, consider the type of prepaid credit card mentioned earlier, except I would get one from some cheque cashing place such as Money Mart and getting one that lets you load an exact amount.  Then you could set that card up with Public Mobile's Autopay system.  Your funds are still put aside so that you know things are taken care ahead of time, but you're not permanently locking those funds into use with Public Mobile.  The downside to this would obviously be the fee that is charged to purcahse the card/to load it up.

By doing that, you could still use the remainder of balance on the prepaid card for anything else should you decide to leave Public Mobile.  You would just have to make sure you first disable the Autopay settings.

jacktrusk23

@srlawren  I hightly doubt I will move anytime soon. My plan is $120 for 90 days.  12GB /unli Int Tx & unli prov talk. Thanks for briging up the downside of the flexibility and the summary.

And no, this is not a concern of running out of funds and to add to your suggestion of moving the money to high interest bank is not even an option. its rougly $500 for the year, very small to earn interest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jacktrusk23 wrote:

@AnonymousWill be with PM for 3 years now. Your assumption is incorrect. 

I simply have the extra cash now to prepay in advance for 1 yr and just making sure that I still get my rewards credits. To clarify so there is no misunderstanding,  I'm not asking for the reward points to show up ahead of the scheduled time. 

Just my 2 cents on your loyalty comment.  If I'am paying a year in advance knowing that my payment cannot be refunded, that itself is loyalty and not an intent as I have already agreed for a year in terms of time/contract.

We were waiting for you to reply and so speculations fly. No problem. Putting in a bunch of money isn't agreeing to anything. It's basically a month-to-month contract/agreement. You could change your plan and eat up your money quicker. You could port out anytime. You could do lost/stolen at some time.

My opinion and similar from others that have already commented is that it would be kinda foolhardy to dump a bunch of real money onto your account. A pile of built-up rewards value fine as that didn't come from your real hard earned money.

But hey it's your business. Do whatever you like. Yes the autopay reward repeats for as long as it's set up and renewals will always come out of Available Funds first. Rewards are converted into Available Funds at each renewal and then the renewal takes from there.

Cheers

jacktrusk23

@AnonymousWill be with PM for 3 years now. Your assumption is incorrect. 

I simply have the extra cash now to prepay in advance for 1 yr and just making sure that I still get my rewards credits. To clarify so there is no misunderstanding,  I'm not asking for the reward points to show up ahead of the scheduled time. 

Just my 2 cents on your loyalty comment.  If I'am paying a year in advance knowing that my payment cannot be refunded, that itself is loyalty and not an intent as I have already agreed for a year in terms of time/contract.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jacktrusk23

Yes..the system will take from available funds before autopay..

mimmo

The order is

1} rewards

2} account balance

3} autopay

jacktrusk23

@RobertQcOn your suggestion, does the account balance credit take priority over the autopay?

Even if autopay is enabled.  This will not double charge me?

srlawren

@jacktrusk23 while you can pre-load available funds into your account, I do recall there is a limit but I don't recall what that number is.

To sum up the correct info you've gotten so far:

- As long as you leave Auto Pay turned on, you will continue to get the AutoPay reward

- As long as there are sufficient funds in the account to pay for the renewal, your card on file will not get charged but you still get the AutoPay reward for having it enabled

- Loyalty reward is not affected in any way, good or bad

- the biggest drawback is you severely limit your flexibility in the future.  If you load a year's worth of funds today, and next week another provider offers up an amazing Boxing Day plan that you want to get on, you're "stuck" with Public Mobile becuase the Available Funds are non-refundable and you'd end up losing them if you left.  Likewise if Telus start offering Koodo migrations again and an amazing one is offered up to you that you would like to take.

Personally, and without knowing your personal reasons for wanting to do this, here's what I'd suggest:

- keep a card registered for the reward; get a pre-paid card if you have to 

- keep the actual $'s in your bank.  maybe move them into a separate high-interest savings account -- you will earn some (not a lot) of interest while it sits in your bank but ZERO while it sits in PM Available Funds

- Set yourself a recurring reminder for about a week before your renewal date (recurring every 30 days, starting on date x which is 7 days before your next renewal) and manually top up your available funds balance with just enough to pay for your upcoming renewal.

Why do I suggest this approach?

- earns a little interest on the funds instead of zero 

- removes uncertainy around AutoPay failures (if that is your concern)

- doesn't handcuff you to staying with Public Mobile until your large available funds balance is utilized.

But if you really do want to go with the 1 year pre-payment, we will need to get confirmation for you on what the max available funds balance is.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to me the motivation for the question is an idea to short-circuit the loyalty reward.

But look, I have enough funds to pay for your most expensive plan for a year...where's my dollar?

Loyalty is time...not intent.

mimmo

just remember the funds are not refundable.  should you port out not need teh number anymore etc any funds are basilly lost.

would a koho account work for setting up autopay?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jacktrusk23, do what @RobertQc suggests, get a visa card added to the account even if it will not participate in the payment.  Then you can top up funds in the account to whatever amount you are comfortable with and you will get all eligible rewards on each renewal. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@jacktrusk23 wrote:

Is it possible to make a 1 time prepay payment for 1 year and still get the loyalty and autopay reward credits?

@jacktrusk23

With pre-payment I can attest you will still get rewards as long as the following conditions are met. You have been here long enough to earn your loyalty, you will continue to get it with any payment method and a good standing account. As for auto-pay, as long as auto-pay is set up, regardless of it being used or not you will still get the auto-pay reward.

Unless the system is set up to have some sort of maximum payment (say $1000, or $5000, etc), this will work. There should be no harm in trying, it will either be approved or declined. The harm would come from too many failed attempts. So maybe try $1000 (or your comfortable amount) and if it doesn't work try $500. Don't try $1000, $950, $900 etc.

I personally have enough funds in my account to not need to add funds for well over a year, my auto-pay is set up but not used, I still get the reward. Although my balance has slowly grown over time I have never made a "large" one time payment.

@jacktrusk23 wrote:

Personal reason.

My main concern is since autopay is not enabled in the system that it will not pickup the autopay reward credit.

Go to the canada post, Buy a pre-paid $10 visa card (or lowest denominations). Set up auto-pay on the gift card. (It works, I have done it) then do a one time payment of $10 (or whatever size you got ) to use up the funds on the card. Put the visa card in the trash but leave the visa card associated with the account and auto-pay enabled. You now will get the auto-pay bonus, there will only be a failure if your public mobile account funds run dry and it attempts to use that gift card that no longer has funds available.

canada_post_visa_gift_card.png

popping

@jacktrusk23

PM is prepaid service.  If for any reason, you decided to leave PM early, there is no refund of the fund in your account.

The only way to get the autopay reward is enable autopay even if you have large sum of money sitting in your account.

You can still get the loyaly reward on your anniversary date even you pay 1 year payment in advance.

jacktrusk23

Personal reason.

My main concern is since autopay is not enabled in the system that it will not pickup the autopay reward credit.

@jacktrusk23 wrote:

I'm uncertain as to if there is any balance amount limit for a Public Mobile account.  You can certainly prepay for multiple months ahead of time, but it will sit in your account balance until it gets used up.  There are no 1 year plans available, nor is there any discount for prepaying for a year in advance. 

You would still be eligible for rewards, but I can't see why you would wish to pay add that much balance to your account at once, unless you're maybe thinking of getting a year of cell phone service for someone as a gift.

Need Help? Let's chat.