cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential new customer...

ScubaSteveW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi y'all,

I'm a potential new customer but before I make the jump, I have a few questions. 

1. I'm looking to port 2 (maybe 3) lines over to PM from Virgin. I have to go and find sim cards to take advantage of the 12GB bonuses before the 26th. Is it possible to activate it first to make sure I get the bonuses and then port my #'s over? 

2. Does each phone number have its own account? Or can I have 1 account with multiple phone numbers? It would make just having 1 credit card on an account easier to manage, not to mention add ons etc when traveling to the US. If each number does need it's own account, are self-referrals available then? 

3. Traveling to the US - I see the add-on packages and when it says unlimited texting and calling in the US, does that also include texting and calling Canadian phone numbers? 

Thanks for the help and guidance!

9 REPLIES 9

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had switched from Virgin back in May 2019. I had gotten tired of their price hikes over the years. Public Mobile was my pick because of the US roaming option.

When I ported over, I missed out on a limited data bonus offer by a day because the promotion period was undefined. Fortunately the offer period has been defined in this case. I had purchased my SIM card at the Superstore. The port process went through very quick. Maybe check with their Mobile Shop for availability?

Don't be surprised if Virgin calls you to try and match the competion. When I took the call, I said yes to the price match, told them what I was paying, and waited on hold for an hour when the call "dropped".

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

I have several new SIM cards available on the off chance you were in Greater Vancouver area.

@ScubaSteveW it is unlikely you will receive those sims before the 26th , it can be 2 to 3 weeks for delivery 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ScubaSteveW 

1.  You can port your Virgin number any time to PM.  There is no time limit to port your number to PM.  When you activate your account, you can get a PM number to test PM service.  You are paying both PM and Virgin Services for the time you are waiting.

2.  Correct.  Each number will have its account because prepaid providers in Canada do not support multiple numbers in 1 account.  PM is no exception.  PM uses your email address as the account number.  Therefore each account will have a unique email address.  Your first account can be activated with any PM customer and get the referral bonus. Then, you can use the referral code from the first account to refer the second and third account.

3.  The unlimited calling and texting are originate from Canada only.  You need US Roaming add-on in order to call or text from USA.

Ask if you have more question.  Looking forward to see you on the PM community.

ScubaSteveW

I do wish Roam mobility was still around. I used that all the time when I traveled. Having numbers in the US is great for verification with Uber/Lyft and restaurants for reservations. It's too bad that the add-on's aren't as reliable as once was and I'll have to take time to find pre-paid sims (eSims) when traveling. 

ScubaSteveW

Thanks. I guess I need to find a couple of sim cards before Oct 26th then! Too bad I can't activate it without the sim. I have a sim card in my cart and they're sending a bonus one. Not the end of the world though, would have only saved $10 on a sim card. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@ScubaSteveW wrote:

Hi y'all,

I'm a potential new customer but before I make the jump, I have a few questions. 

1. I'm looking to port 2 (maybe 3) lines over to PM from Virgin. I have to go and find sim cards to take advantage of the 12GB bonuses before the 26th. Is it possible to activate it first to make sure I get the bonuses and then port my #'s over? 

2. Does each phone number have its own account? Or can I have 1 account with multiple phone numbers? It would make just having 1 credit card on an account easier to manage, not to mention add ons etc when traveling to the US. If each number does need it's own account, are self-referrals available then? 

3. Traveling to the US - I see the add-on packages and when it says unlimited texting and calling in the US, does that also include texting and calling Canadian phone numbers? 

Thanks for the help and guidance!

@ScubaSteveW hi Steve 1st you can get sim cards at your nearest koodo or telus store call first to make sure they are in stock and no you need sim to activate (2) you need a separate email for each account/sim you can use your referral for the other 2 if you like but you can use same cc for all accounts (3) yes when in US with add ons you can call home also but personaly I would buy local sims when there because with the 3g shutdown the add ons are getting less and less reliable  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@ScubaSteveW 

1)  yes,  just remember to keep old services active and retain the old provider SIM cards to get port authorizing text when porting # over, 

2) each phone number has its own account and email address, can use same credit card,  yes you can self refer once 1st account is created,

3) yes

Need Help? Let's chat.