cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting to PM; eSIM activation failed

Skay5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just ported from Fido to Public Mobile right now. I chose the eSIM option, paid the charges and downloaded the iphone app. I received a port out message from Fido to which I responded saying YES.

Despite all this, I received a pop up on my phone saying 'Unable to Activate eSIM'. I would like to speak with an agent and resolve this ASAP. But I do not understand why it is so hard to understand how to speak with a human being instead of having to chat on a portal or be forced to interact with a bot. I don't think PM has customer support on Twitter either?

I would appreciate some support. Thank you,

27 REPLIES 27

Skay5

Update: purchased a physical SIM card and the number and network are working as expected. Just hope that there is an option soon to be able to interact with the customer service in a less tedious and frustrating way to resolve issues faster.

Thank you all for your inputs

Skay5

@LitlLdythank you so much! your guidance is much appreciated!!

@Skay5 wrote:

@LitlLdy  yes i will buy a physical sim card now as per @softech's suggestion.

the CS guy i had the misfortune of interacting with does not speak coherently and is arrogant -- definitely the worst on boarding experience so far! hopefully, once the physical SIM is running and i have received a reimbursement from PM, the network will be good along with their other services. i will keep you posted once i have enough experience with how their network is.

you and @softech have helped a lot more than the CS team -- appreciate your time and efforts! @CS_Agent kindly fix this issue along with the competence and professionalism of your customer service team.

@Skay5 , ok, that sounds like the easiest option at this point! Sorry 😞

Then you have received 1 of the 3 CS_Agents that lack professionalism, knowledge & lack respect. I promise they are not all like that! There’s some that go above & beyond to help!

Thank you & your patience with Us all is greatly appreciated. Any time there’s something we can help you with we will be happy to try. Please update Us once you get your SIM Card. 

Once you have a new SIM, follow these steps to update the SIM number associated with your account:

1. Log in to the Public Mobile app (select + symbol on bottom left) or My Account
  2. Go to the ‘Profile’ tab
  3. Select the pencil icon next to your current SIM number
  4. Enter your the 16-digit code of your new SIM
  5. Select ‘Save Changes’

Or use this direct link: https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/change-sim-number

Edit: @Skay5 , Copy & save those instructions & link to your notepad on your iPhone to make it easier to remember 🙂

Skay5

hi @auggy 

thank you, will go through this

Skay5

@LitlLdy  yes i will buy a physical sim card now as per @softech's suggestion.

the CS guy i had the misfortune of interacting with does not speak coherently and is arrogant -- definitely the worst on boarding experience so far! hopefully, once the physical SIM is running and i have received a reimbursement from PM, the network will be good along with their other services. i will keep you posted once i have enough experience with how their network is.

you and @softech have helped a lot more than the CS team -- appreciate your time and efforts! @CS_Agent kindly fix this issue along with the competence and professionalism of your customer service team.

auggy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Here is a link from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/102478

If you have not already, make sure you have a stable wifi connection and the latest version of IOS.

@softech wrote:

@LitlLdy

Yes, some new subscribers might see the error saying the phone is not eSIM compatible at the end of the subscription process, which the phone should be compatible.   PM is aware of this error and working on a fix.  Unfortunately for some new subscribers in this situation, they might need to change back to physical sims to get the activation completed first.  Like in OP's case, PM support will reimburse the extra cost

@softech , I wasn’t arguing with you, I always respect & value what you say. I just find it really disappointing since it appears that from my experience with CS_Agents that they made no effort to troubleshoot! I have seen this issue here several times that was easily fixed by them! You may be right in this situation but I still disagree! Sorry 😞 

Edit: @softech , I have seen the issue where they had more difficulty fixing it when porting a phone number in during sign up of a new account. I think this is where it got messed up instead of choosing a new phone number 1st then porting number over after successful activation of a new account! Maybe it was a mix of a few things! I don’t know! 😔 

@LitlLdy

Yes, some new subscribers might see the error saying the phone is not eSIM compatible at the end of the subscription process, which the phone should be compatible.   PM is aware of this error and working on a fix.  Unfortunately for some new subscribers in this situation, they might need to change back to physical sims to get the activation completed first.  Like in OP's case, PM support will reimburse the extra cost

@Skay5 wrote:

@softechthanks so much! I will check these amazon links and go ahead with them if they have fast delivery options. or i might have to visit a store which is what i was hoping to avoid! or i may just port out right away.

appreciate your help

@Skay5 , you can give up & take @softech suggestion which seems like a lot less stress now than arguing with CS_Agents that refuse to do their job! They are not all not like that. I have only encountered 3 that lack effort to in my time here since 2019! You just happened to have received poor support from one of them. 😞 It will get better. Once you have working services you likely won’t need their help again. Us here as Customers can usually help with everything else. I’m sorry for such poor negative experience so far! Please let Us know the outcome. It helps to gave a spare SIM Card anyway in case something happens. I have eSIM but have spare SIM Cards.

Edit: @Skay5 , you will not be able to port out your phone # without a working SIM to approve the port request from Public Mobile to port to another provider! Plus you will not receive a refund for unused plan!

@softech wrote:

@Skay5 wrote:

@softechi have a physical sim with fido. now PM customer agent is asking me to buy a physical sim since it is apparently mandatory to do so after a failed esim activation. once i buy a physical sim they will reimburse me it seems.

@Skay5  Yes, some failed eSIM activation has no choice but to change back to physical sim.

If you need to buy one, please check these sources instead of buying from PM online (as it would take long):

@softech , several Customers on here have had the same issue as @Skay5 which CS_Agents have easily fixed! Especially now that eSIM’s are available for all Customers now. They couldn’t provide a new working eSIM before this due to it was only available for new Customers during signup of a new account. Now they can generate a new working eSIM & do troubleshooting not give a generic response to purchase a SIM Card when they don’t want to help a Customer!

Sorry, but this upsets me when it has been proven numerous times this can easily be fixed by CS_Agents! Reason I suggested speaking to a Senior CS_Agent. 

Skay5

@softechthanks so much! I will check these amazon links and go ahead with them if they have fast delivery options. or i might have to visit a store which is what i was hoping to avoid! or i may just port out right away.

appreciate your help

Skay5

@LitlLdyi have wasted several hours just trying to port to PM this morning sadly. i am sure they can fix this issue, but from my experience so far with their CS, they cannot communicate properly and do not disclose the entirety of information. the CS guy is asking me to buy a physical card online or by visiting a store which is exactly what i wanted to avoid and hence opted for an esim.

i might just port out of this network now. thanks so much for your help!

@Skay5 wrote:

@softechi have a physical sim with fido. now PM customer agent is asking me to buy a physical sim since it is apparently mandatory to do so after a failed esim activation. once i buy a physical sim they will reimburse me it seems.

@Skay5  Yes, some failed eSIM activation has no choice but to change back to physical sim.

If you need to buy one, please check these sources instead of buying from PM online (as it would take long):

@Skay5 wrote:

@LitlLdyjust tried this, but no luck unfortunately. the network still shows 'SOS' and i am forced to be on wifi. thank you though. i will wait for customer support to get back

@Skay5 , please don’t give up, they can fix this. They have for several other Customers that have encountered this issue. Some have received faulty eSIM on 1st try!

Please update Us once you receive a response back from CS_Agent. Some can be stubborn when wrong. Make sure you get this escalated to get it fixed. I’m sorry we couldn’t fix this for you 😞 

Skay5

@LitlLdyjust tried this, but no luck unfortunately. the network still shows 'SOS' and i am forced to be on wifi. thank you though. i will wait for customer support to get back

@Skay5 wrote:

Hi @LitlLdy 

thank you. i have not tried your suggestion as i do not know how to reset network settings and cannot see the “ Turn On This Line “ setting on my iphone.

not sure why getting help on basic steps is such a hassle with this company! appreciate your help

@Skay5 , settings, general, transfer or reset phone, reset, reset network settings (do not choose any other option). Resetting network settings usually fixes a few issues. 

Edit: If Turn On This Line is not there it verifies eSIM didn’t install properly! CS_Agents can fix this. Ask for a Senior CS_Agent to escalate this. They have fixed this for several Customers with your same issue. Some CS_Agents are either not trained properly or do not want to mess with it! It is their job!

Skay5

Hi @LitlLdy 

thank you. i have not tried your suggestion as i do not know how to reset network settings and cannot see the “ Turn On This Line “ setting on my iphone.

not sure why getting help on basic steps is such a hassle with this company! appreciate your help

@Skay5 wrote:

@Skay5 wrote:

@Skay5 , if you have tried my above suggestions that didn’t work message CS_Agent back. You were given incorrect information. Ask for a Senior CS_Agent to escalate the issue. They can fix this. You do not need a SIM Card. 

Skay5

@Skay5 yes, iPhone 13 should work with eSIM here

and were you using physical sim with Fido or eSIM?

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Skay5 , can you please reset network settings & reboot your iPhone to see if that changes things?

Also, after doing that, In cellular settings make sure that “ Turn On This Line “ is selected. (It won’t work is the line is not turned on! Which some Customers have missed these steps)

If you have already tried these please forgive me.

IMG_0049.png

Skay5

Hi @softech 

it is an iphone 13 mini. i entered the IMEI during checkout when I chose the esim option and it showed that the phone is esim compatible. i have created a ticket on personal message with a PM agent -- hoping to have a resolution soon.

@Skay5 

would be nice if we know the model so we can confirm that  your phone has  eSIM 

You can find the QR code on the Welcome email and you tried?

If you are still unable to manually install the eSIM by scanning the QR code, no worry, support can help.  They can either regenerate you another eSIM or try to switch that over to a physical sim.  please open ticket with PM Support:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Skay5

Hi @BKNS27 

not sure how knowing only that is entirely relevant? my phone is compatible with eSIM, i checked using the IMEI.

@Skay5 

Hmmm, what is the make and model of your phone?

Skay5

Hi @hTideGnow 

thank you for reaching out promptly. I tried scanning the QR code from the welcome email. but i'm getting the same error pop up message 'Unable to Activate eSIM'. will open a ticket

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Skay5 

check your email and look for a Welcome email from PM, there is a QR code there, try to scan and install eSIM yourself

if you cannot find the email or still cannot install eSIM, please submit at ticket with agent:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.