cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting over from existing provider

plummer66
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi.  I am trying to port over from an existing small time provider.  They have not given me my account number yet and are now asking me what my sim card numbers are.  Why would they need my sim (or esim) numbers ?  Thx.

6 REPLIES 6

plummer66

Thanks for your help all.  I ended up finally getting the account number and was able to port over to Public just fine.  

@plummer66   I don't know why the old provider is asking for the sim numbers but I'm not an expert on porting.  I would just leave it to the porting team to sort it out.  If there's a problem they'll let you know.

HI @plummer66 

porting requires the account number of your old carrier

if your old carrier does not give you the account number, you will need to provide the IMEI instead.   I am not sure about the sim card number, but PM support was asking the sim card number of your old provider, I think it was because the lack of account number.  You can give them the IMEI first and see if it helps

plummer66

Ok thanks.  I may have to go this route.  But ....... any idea why they would want the sim numbers?  IS that sketchy or no?  Thx

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@plummer66   I  have sent you a phone number to call for porting assistance, check your envelope icon top right or tap your avatar for a drop down with Messages.  They should be able to initiate the port using the IMEI number rather than the account number.  Using the IMEI number yourself on self serve seems to cause more problems than the account number but I would hope the porting team can figure this out for you.  The phone number is for porting assitance only hence I sent it by private message as we aren't supposed to post it here.  The port is always initiated by the new provider.

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @plummer66, I have ported a few people over to Public Mobile, with a physical SIM card, without needing any account information from the previous phone provider. If you are referring to the SIM number from your new Public Mobile SIM card, it's neccesary to setup the account. You can avoid needing account details by obtaining the phone's IMEI number by dialing *#06# (as though you were making a phone call) on the phone that has the current/old provider SIM card in it. Once you have initiated the port/switch with the current/old provider SIM installed, wait for a text message to confirm that you want to port from, and be sure to reply to it without delay. Once the port confirmation is made, it's safe to power off, and install the Public Mobile SIM card. It may take some time, and a few phone restarts, but your new Public Mobile services should be available within a few minutes, or up to an hour.

Need Help? Let's chat.