cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port my number from Freedom Mobile

kiftikhar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i want to Port my service from Freedom to Public Mobile .. Plz clarify the below
1- Process to switch
2- Do i get caller id, unlimited call conferencing, call waiting etc
3- How do i trust that Public Mobile coverage is ll over canada because i travel a lot & need the coverage on the fon all the time
4- Do yu offer srvc in USA?

11 REPLIES 11

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kiftikhar 

There are no special friends and family discounts at pm. They do on occasion offer a bonus referral code promotion over and above the regular $10 bonus referral code credit for using a referral code. While fraught with issues with their automatic application of the RAF credits pm did run (I believe) 6 separate $25 ($5×5 months) RAF bonus promotions last year. Hopefully they decide to run another one again soon?

There was a limit of one per account per promotion but new activations could "double dip" by first being referred with both the referrer and the referred earning the $25 credit. Then the new activation could use their referral code to refer a new customer. When activating your family accounts you would daisy chain each account's referral code along to the next family member activating. This would allow 5 out of 6 of your family's accounts to "double dip" for $50 in credits ($10×5months). The exception being the last account to be activated.....unless they line up a friend to refer?

You can also purchase pm Sim cards from Canadian Cell Supplies while his supplies last. They are usually $5/Sim card. In the GTA you can arrange pick up or they ship for free via Canada Post. Across Canada they usually arrive within 5 business days (T.O. to Vancouver). The owner of CCS is very helpful and trustworthy....and when pm still had retail activations he was over and above the best pm retail partner and I purchased many Sim cards and/or activation bundles thru his website.

Good Luck! We are here to help if you need further advice.

@kiftikhar  

yes, you can order your sim from Amazon

You can choose to pick a AB number first and then request porting (more work) after or activate and port at the same time (less work)

As to the friend and family discount, I apologize if I have misread your line earlier , but yes, every account can use a friend code to save $10 one tine

There is no bulk discount here. You can also buy sims from corporate Telus, Koodo and Mobile Klinik stores. Otherwise, you got it. Remember to use the referral code from the first account for all the others. Or daisychain them down for each account.

To minimize chances of error, use a non-mobile browser. ie. desktop/laptop. Have a credit card ready. Have your Freedom account number(s?) ready. Leave the Freedom sim(s?) in to reply to the confirmation text.

Adding - if you're getting referral codes in private message then those users are breaking the forum rules. You need to ask first. You can ask here. Or ask someone in private messaging.

kiftikhar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Thank you for the below very very helpful information.

What I understood from below is that i should first buy a PM sim from amazon and then generate an alberta temp fon no. From PM website/portal and activate it.

Once activated the temp fon no. I can proceed with porting process. Plz confirm the above and i will start the process today. Also, plz advice if i can have a special friends and family discount as well on PM. I have 6 lines in total and would port them all if theres a handsome family discount.

Thanks

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kiftikhar 

In reference to @hairbag1 post on US Roaming add ons you will have a better experience if you understand how they work and the difference between how Canadian mobile providers and US providers are regulated. Essentially US providers are profit driven without the requirement to invest in infrastructure to provide network coverage in areas of low population density (mainly rural) whereas in Canada as long as you are within at least 10km of a major road or highway you will have network connectivity (depending on local topography ie. mountains). Keeping this in mind T-Mobile has 62% nationwide coverage of their 4G LTE network that reaches 99% of the population.

With @hairbag1 's personal experience roaming in Washington state after the 3G network was decommissioned in the US but before pm recently began rolling out VoLTE calling for its customers is pretty typical. VoLTE will put pm customers on par with T-Mobile's own customers but without the 5G coverage it's premier plan subscribers  have access to with their plans.

T-Mobile has network coverage of 62.6% of Washington state....geography and population dictates where that coverage exists and is non-existent. Other states are far worse such as Maine at 25.49%, Nebraska at 14.38% and Alaska has no T-Mobile network coverage at all. T-Mobile has a shared network roaming agreement with Alaska's largest network provider CGI for its customers. If and when pm renews its roaming agreement with AT&T coverage will improve somewhat in the lower 48's rural areas and Alaska.

See this post for T-Mobile's state by state 4G LTE network coverage and the thread's original post for more info on US Roaming add ons and using the 2G network with devices without VoLTE calling.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@kiftikhar wrote:

i want to Port my service from Freedom to Public Mobile .. Plz clarify the below
1- Process to switch
2- Do i get caller id, unlimited call conferencing, call waiting etc
3- How do i trust that Public Mobile coverage is ll over canada because i travel a lot & need the coverage on the fon all the time
4- Do yu offer srvc in USA?

The only fly in the ointment could be with your question #4.

PM has a 15 Day US roaming add-on for use while in USA...but to be honest, the talk portion of the add-on is kind of flakey in a lot of places. The add-on only works with T-Mobile right now. I've used it in parts of eastern Wa state and had mixed results. It seemed to work ok in larger cities, but its reliability dwindled as I moved around away from the city. I've heard similar reports from travelers in other parts of US as well.

All new PM customers will have volte enabled on their account so that may help the reliability for the talk portion of the Roaming add-on.

Otherwise..I suspect you'll be happy with Public Mobile as your cell provider.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@kiftikhar 

As above.....except I prefer to choose a temporary phone number to activate to ensure during activation that the Sim card provisions correctly to the account and all of your pm services are working (text, calls, data). Sometimes the Sim card does not provision properly upon activation and if this happens and you port in your phone number you will be stuck without any working service until you contact customer support to fix it for you.

Instead if you choose a temporary phone number and you choose an Alberta phone number you will save any pst on your plan at activation ( 7% to 10%) and only pay 5% gst. You can also top up your account before porting in to only pay gst on the top up amount.

Once you confirm all of your services are working on your pm Sim card you can port in thru your self serve account's profile page. Choose the change phone number feature and enter the following info:

1. Full name on your freedom account.
  2. Freedom account #.
  3. Your phone #.
  4. Alternate phone #. (Optional but you can use a family member's, work etc...)

Put your freedom Sim card back in your phone and reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of receiving it. Your port will complete in a few minutes to a maximum of 2 hours. Once your freedom Sim card stops working your incoming calling will commence on your pm Sim card and your freedom account will be automatically canceled and closed.

I recommend you screenshot or copy the email, password and 4 digit account PIN # you enter during activation. Screenshot page 4 of the activation portal after you have entered the referral code for the $10 bonus referral credit and any promocode (if applicable) you may have used. Finally make sure you print or screenshot the transaction summary as it contains important info such as your account #. Put all of this info in a safe and secure place for future reference. Welcome to public mobile!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@kiftikhar 

1- To port your old number over to PM, keep your Freedom SIM in your phone the activate your PM SIM and reply to the text from Freedom with YES confirming you are porting over to PM within the 90 minute time frame.

2- Yes all will be included.

3- PM is Telus so coverage the same across Canada.

4- Yes but you need to purchase USA Roaming and connect to T-Mobile network on your phone while in the States.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@kiftikhar 

1. Here is a link to switch to Public mobile:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Need to have active Freedom mobile account. 

2.  Public mobile plansinclude: Call Display, Voicemail and Conference Calling. Public mobile also offers VoLTE. 

3. Public mobile belongs to Telus and Bell Network, so excellent coverage across Canada.

4. Public mobile does offer 15 day US roaming packages:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kiftikhar 

2. YES to those services 

3. PM is in fact part of Telus and sharing network with Bell, so coverage is as good as Telus and Bell

4. PM has roaming in US, in 15 days add on.  But they also ONLY offers roaming in US and no where else 

1. activation and port process  

You want to first confirm your number is eligible to port onto PM first here:

confirm your number is eligible to port into PM (it is a Koodo site because both Koodo and PM use the same Telus system):

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

Then, make sure your old provider account is still active.  Login to your old provider account and make note of the account number

Next,  get a PM sim card from Telus or Koodo store or Amazon 

https://www.amazon.ca/Public-Mobile-Card-Unlocked-Phones/dp/B07R6P5KBB

(do not order from PM online as it could take long for them to deliver)

Once you have the sim card, activate your account at https://activate.publicmobile.ca/.  You will request to Transfer your exiting number instead of picking a new number.  Please provide your current phone number and the account number of the old provider as the porting info.

Once activation completed , still have the old provider sim card in your phone.  Your old provider will send you a SMS and ask your permission for the porting.  You need to reply YES within 90 mins for the porting to complete

Once replied yes, you can put your PM sim card in a phone and wait for incoming calls to come.  Reboot your phone ever 30 mins and test incoming call from another line.  If incoming call reaches your PM sim card, then the Porting is completed

Need Help? Let's chat.