cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port in from Land Line leaves me without a phone at all

Lynda4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been with Public for over a year using a number given to me by Public. Then we decided to end our land line (Telus), and port that number to my cell. I started that process this morning, and am regretting doing this on a Friday... I understand that it will take 3 business days to complete - that's ok. What's not ok is that I do not have a working phone in the meantime! At some point today the number I have had for over a year stopped working, but the new number is also not working. I am not able to make outgoing calls, and not able to receive incoming calls at either number. I tried submitting a ticket, but keep getting a 404 error message. I have re-started my phone, I cleared the cache & cookies as recommended with the ticket problem - no luck.

20 REPLIES 20

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda4 

You shouldn't lose outgoing cell services during a port request. Only incoming services can be affected and usually only regarding incoming calls to the ported number. Even telus family customers should still be able to reach you.

Telus landline ports usually complete quite quickly. I will send you their porting department phone number and you can call in to check on the status of your port. While they cannot access your pm account you can query them on what seems like misinformation from the CSA regarding outgoing cell service.

Lynda4

Sort of! I managed to get in contact with customer service, and am asking them further. They are saying it's normal to loose cell service for a few days despite the fact that their help article (https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/number-transfer-port-troubleshooting) says that I should be able to make outgoing calls still while I wait for the new number.

Lynda4

Great idea! Wish I had known. Also if I had known I would have no cellular service for 5 days in the process, I would have started it on a Monday instead of right before a weekend.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is why whenever someone wants to Port a Landline to Public Mobile, I tell them they must first have their provider convert it from a Landline to a Mobility Plan so we can approve the Port Request and avoid the 3 day wait. 

Example, i have a BellMTS Landline and if I we're to bring it to Public Mobile, I'd have Bell put the home number on a Monthly Mobility line with Bell Mobility to make it easy, I'd than Port it from there to Public Mobile in 90 mins like a regular Cell Phone Number Transfer. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you use a whole other phone to dial your landline number? Does the landline phone ring or the cell phone?
Can you dial what was your cell number? Does the cell phone ring?

From the landline can you dial that toll free number? Does it go through asking for a language?

Did you call Telus to verbally allow the number to transfer?

My thinking is that the dial tone you're getting is not necessarily indicative of a working landline. I think a landline needs to be able to call 911. (don't) But if it can call out then the transfer has not completed yet.

And can you try the sim in another phone.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda4 

Yes as @MetaMorpheusMob said if you have a dial tone then your landline works for incoming and outgoing calls. Try calling the former pm phone # and see what message you get. After checking 1 855 4PUBLIC and entering your 10 digit phone number ( both old pm # and your landline #).

Lynda4

I had service on a regular SIM card for a good while before porting in the landline. Trying to keep up with responding to everything. 😉

Lynda4

When I log in to my account, it says my number is the number that I requested to be ported in. However, when I pick up my landline, I still get a dial tone. So things with the new number haven't completed as per the help articles I have read. The piece that is frustrating is that according to the help articles, I should still be able to make outgoing calls on the old number - but I can't.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda4 

Seems like it but it shouldn't do that. Do you have anyone with telus/koodo/pm services that you can confirm whether they have working  services? In your immediate area? Check for outages. Otherwise try your Sim card in another working phone to confirm if the problem is the Sim card or not. Put it back in your phone to see if it starts working.

You do have active service ? Is it possible your renewal was last night and you suffered an autopay failure? Just to be sure....?

Lynda4

Good questions. When I tried to use maps when I was out today, it wouldn't work either. Then I've been at home most of the day on wifi. So while the SIM has been fine for the last year, maybe it stopped working once I requested the new number to be ported in?

Lynda4

Tried that. Still can't make outgoing calls.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda4 

My apologies the part about being a customer for over a year misled me thinking you had activated another account to port in your landline. Can you log into your account to see what number is now listed? You will need to get the 6 digit code sent to your email. If you have not had it sent there before you you won't be given that option when you click on "resend code". If that's the case there's a method to follow that we can supply.

Lynda4

I have an iPhone XR. I think I activated the port logged in on my laptop.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda4 

You activated a public mobile (pm) account using a Sim card? Or an e-sim? Did you have service on it before you ported in the landline? Or did you port in upon activation?

HI @Lynda4 

try reboot phone, try pull the sim and reinsert and try Reset Network Settings

Lynda4

I don't know what you mean pm SIM card. I am porting from a land line, so there's no SIM card with that.

Lynda4

No, as mentioned, I am unable to make any outgoing calls. I cannot receive calls either at my old number.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda4 

To clarify....did the pm Sim card work at all?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Lynda4 

Do you have any working services on your pm Sim card? If your landline stopped working that indicates the port has completed. If you have no service on your pm Sim card that means your Sim card did not provision correctly upon activation.  You need to contact customer support to provision your Sim card to your account. Send a private message now but don't expect a response til morning although they sometimes answer overnight if they see you online.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Lynda4 

yes, porting from landline can take up to 7 days

what you have now is normal.  Your old number is "gone" after porting requested.  You can still make calls, and caller id will shows your land line.  When people call your landline number , your landline will ring, not your cell.  This will be like this until the port is done .   It's not PM's fault. Poring from landline is like this 

Need Help? Let's chat.