cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Data Coverage

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

I recently started some gig work and realizing some poor data coverage all over the city. I live in southern Ontario where PM indicates great coverage, but many times my bars are dropping and can’t access any data. Is this typical for PM, or is there something I can do? This isn’t occurring in rural areas, but downtown core areas where coverage should be good. Any help is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Carniam 

Go to the update post in the following linked thread on US Roaming. Use the cell mapper link contained within. Go to your local area on the coverage map. Choose telus as the provider and LTE. All the local telus cell towers will pop up and list the bands that they transmit. Tap on each tower on the map and specific details will pop up.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

If you tap the map the pop up listings will disappear but the towers coverage zone will remain on the map showing the azimuth (direction) of band coverage and the maximum reach of the zone coverage. You can do the same with Bell to see their LTE cell tower coverage (since telus and bell have a network sharing agreement) this should help you determine your coverage issues.

You may find one or more of your local towers listed as decommissioned with a recent "last seen" date indicating they are going thru upgrades. You can check for the 3G network this way as well.

You can also check your signal strength in your iPhone....I have the instructions somewhere as they are different for iPhones rather than Android?

Carniam

Thanks Meow, the area I struggle the most with has no tall buildings around (I’m not in GTA). Since moving over to force 3G my bars have been higher, though real test won’t occur until tomorrow when I head back out. Phone is iPhone X if that helps. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

In downtown (Toronto) you might have issues due to tall buildings. Check with people around you how is their reception and who is their provider.

Maybe your phone is not 'sensitive' enough?

Carniam

Thanks for your response. I am on a 4g plan and will give your suggestions a go. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Carniam 

that is problematic, and shouldn’t be.

Try resetting your APN settings or forcing your device to “3G only” just to see if you have any improvement in data.

If you are on 4G services/plan, try resetting your network connections, and for the heck of it, if you’re able to try your public mobile SIM card in a different device, try it to see if any change in data functionality.

Need Help? Let's chat.