cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please. How does the Call Type/ Data Usage work?

Mafern
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Please, can someone explain how the Call Type/ Data Usage works? What/ how does "Web" work in this situation and its data?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

@Mafern 

Try installing an app that can track your data usage by 30 day cycles. You can set warning limits to what you like them set at.

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me exactly what I need from it.

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@Mafern 

Data usage is updated in your usage logs in 2 - 12 hour blocks twice daily. So your 153mb was used over a 12 hour period. If you were using any apps with video content they will use a considerable amount of data or if you had a software update or downloaded an app while on mobile data.

Check your data settings to make sure you have your data saver on. Set your data awrning and limiter and your data tracker to the correct 30 days of your plan cycle. Make sure widi assist is off and turn all of your background data off within your apps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mafern : That's internet data usage...not time. Your phone had mobile data turned on and used a good bit of data.

Mafern
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for answering me! What I have not got is how it is computed. For instance, I have this line under my "Usage History - View Usage": 

12/05/2021 5:09Web     153.066 MBMB$0.00

under: "

Date/Time Call Type Originating # Destination # Originating Location Destination Location Duration Data Usage Usage Type Charge

". I quite do not understand how I have spent all of those "153.066 MB"!?!

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Mafern wrote:

Please, can someone explain how the Call Type/ Data Usage works? What/ how does "Web" work in this situation and its data?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @Mafern 

Call TypeDurationDataUsage TypeDescription
Data Event 1MMSMMS TEXT
Incoming Call0:00:37 MinutesVoice call
Incoming text  SMSSMS TEXT
Outgoing Call0:00:12 MinutesVoice call
Outgoing Text  SMSSMS TEXT
Web 0.065MBData Usage

You will notice there is about a 5-7mb 'data buffer' on the Overview page usage. This should reset itself over night or if you toggle in and out of airplane mode.

NOTE: "ALL" under Originating Location are people calling your voicemail and DOES NOT deduct from Plan minutes allocation.

But, checking your voicemail from your own Public Mobile device DOES use minutes from your Plan minutes allocation.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Mafern 

It seems you may be referring to the usage history screens, accessible from your self-serve landing page.  It displays the various calls or messages or data consumption particulars.

In it, you will see records of incoming and outgoing calls and texts. As well, you will see data events which will populate twice a day to record the data consumed in the preceding 12 hour periods. 

The data consumption is more precisely displayed in a real-time basis on the self-serve landing page under the section titled, My Data and Add-Ons.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, 

Are you talking about the wifi calling? If you are talking about that then it does not use any data to make calls. 

Or maybe you could be talking about video call? If you are not connected to wifi and you are connected to the PM network then it would use your data. 

Need Help? Let's chat.