cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone suggestion

DemiLiard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. I am new to the mobile phone world and would like a phone suggestion. I have a 250$ budget and no idea which phone to get despite doing some research.

Any help would be appreciated.

I was going to try getting one through Orchard since that seemed like the simplest thing to do but it doesn't seem like that great a deal. The Samsung S3 for 235$ refurbished on Orchard is 300$ new on amazon plus it was released in 2012 so I'm assuming there are much better options.

35 REPLIES 35

DemiLiard

Hmm... cost is important, battery life, release date I guess and I'd rather have a larger screen size.

What do you think about the HTC One M7. Release date is old but it seems good... 255$ on amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/HTC-32GB-Unlocked-Android-Phone/dp/B00EEVPFQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449984606...

I'll be putting a cheap Public Mobile plan on it, I don't use the phone much, but I'd like to use it as a tablet.

From what I understand Telus-locked phones will work on Public Mobile without having to be unlocked?

DemiLiard

The Motorola Moto G 3rd gen seems very interesting at that price. However it says delivery will take 4-6 weeks due to limited stock, and I'd like it soon. Maybe I'll go see if they have it in store.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I have a 2015 Moto G from Telus.

The battery life is disappointing, especially compared to my 2013 Moto G units.

Whereas the batteries in the latter lasted about 13 hours each before recharging, the former's battery will last about 10 hours, and that is with constant light use.

Food for thought.

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DemiLiardThe choice is going to be somewhat subjective. I myself am fond of Motorola's entry level phones. The 3rd generation Moto G is available for $230 outright at TELUS and was released in 2015.

You can view the specs here;
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_(3rd_gen)-7247.php

The version available in Canada is the 1GB of RAM, 8GB of memory version.

Mayor / Maire

There are several competing priorities when choosing a mobile phone. Please rank the following in order of your preference and I'll be happy to make specific recommendations at that point:

release date, camera quality, dual-sim functionality, android/ios/windows preference, battery life, cost, resale value (after a year or two), screen size/phone size (please specify if bigger or smaller preferred), speaker quality, display quality, ruggedness, ease/cost of repair.

Need Help? Let's chat.