cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone randomly dropping SIM connection

cdutson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there! I've got a recent problem and I'm wondering if anyone's run into this issue, or indeed if this is an issue with my phone, or my sim card or ... i dunno, ghosts.

Anyways, my phone (an iPhone SE) has developed the habit of just... losing it's SIM. I'll turn my phone on, and I have LTE, and everything's great: can make calls, texts, browse, etc. Wifi works, everything's dandy. But after a while (I've not managed to identify a pattern yet) it announces that no SIM is installed.  If i restart my phone, it finds the SIM without issue. It just seems to... give up? after a while. It literally happened while my phone was sitting idle on my desk about 5 minutes ago. 

The issue in question has been happening for at least 2 days now. 

This happen to anyone else? Could this be a service issue, or is this more likely a phone issue? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The problem is 110% caused by something in the phone.  SIM cards are durable and very unlikely to fail.  If there is another phone handy, try the SIM in the other phone to see if the problem is repeatable.  I highly doubt it. 

cdutson

Small update: popping the sim out and back in while the phone is on also solves the issue (though probably temporarily.) This is leading me towards thinking it's a phone issue. I'll try getting a junk $10 sim and see if it still drops.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@cdutson please follow @mimmo suggestion and try your sim in another phone. If the sim works without any issues, then it's probably your phone that is the problem. If it doesn't then it's the sim that is the issue. 

you could also try another sim in your phone to see if another sim gives you the same issue with your phone. If it does then it's your phone that is the issue. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would try the sim card in a different phone for a couple days and see if the issue still occurs. or buy a simcard for 10$ and see if teh isssue still occurs. but my gut is on teh phone, sims rarey go bad.

thomasn83

@cdutson I haven't experienced this myself but just from the sounds of it, it seems like either your phone is having issue connecting with your SIM or you have a damaged SIM card. 

One solution may be to replace  your SIM entirely. Not sure what the protocol is to changing your account to a new SIM but I'm sure someone here on the forum would have a suggestion around that. We have some pretty smart people in the community!

Need Help? Let's chat.